Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 14, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #70,771 of 75,671
What are "labyrinth-maze acoustics"
It is an internal acoustic tuning cavity within the shells of a good number of Smabat models... 3D acoustic maze structure in the shape of a labyrinth

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #70,772 of 75,671
You are awesome! Thank you.
You are very welcome good sir. We can't have our resident "encyclopedia" missing information can we? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Completely forgot about the available modules for M2s Pro... I added all those. Your astute call out shook up the ole' gray matter and reminded me that the M2 Pro 2021 Version also used the same modules as the M2s Pro. I also added the three types of tuning dampers as well.
I am looking into trying to find what those used (and the M0 also).
Regarding the M4 module drivers... you might recall the 40ΩTi (M2s Pro) driver was only available for a very short time for the M4 (pic here in a detailed M4 post from @mt877). It came and went in a blink of an eye.
I don't recall that, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. I didn't see those available to purchase when I bought my modules for the M4.
I still need to have someone double check the listed tuning damper and driver modules that were available for M2 Pro, M0, and M3 Pro.

This is what I have thus far:

Smabat M2 Pro; 40Ω (1st Gen Modular Earbud w/ 2nd Gen Labyrinth-Maze Acoustics; two (2) tuning modules: type 0 and type 1)Smabat M0; 20ΩTi (1st Gen DIY Modular Earbud; three (3) tuning dampers: type-1, type-2, and type-3; other driver modules: 40ΩTi (M2s Pro) and 100ΩBio (Super One aka Super Point))Smabat M3 Pro; 150Ω (3rd Gen Modular Earbud w/ 3rd Gen Labyrinth-Maze Acoustics; ST10S Black-Gold 150ΩTi driver w/ two (2) tuning dampers: type 01 golden and type 02 black)
I am trying to look into it. I will make another post on stuff I have found.
What @WoodyLuvr said, and you can have a look at them (for the ST10S) HERE. Scroll down to the "Internals" section to see pictures.

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #70,773 of 75,671
@WoodyLuvr It looks like the same drivers and filters were available for the M0 and M2s Pro as seen HERE.

And for the M2 Pro 2020 our very own @baskingshark can probably best answer this (as seen HERE). It looks like there are actually 3 drivers for it. The stock one (40LCP???), the 150ti, and another ti (which I am going to guess as the 40ti), and 2 filters (type 0 and type 1).

As for the M3 Pro, I can't find any other options for the driver modules besides the stock 150ti, but one site said the filters were type 0 and type 1.

Also, didn't @mt877 find out there are actually 4 tuning filters for the M4 (0, 1, 2, and 3)? The stock one was the 0 IIRC, and you can't buy that one, except as stock when you purchase the M4 itself. Or am I forgetting and mixing it all up? I guess I am too lazy to search this thread... ROFL

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #70,774 of 75,671

In theory, if implemented properly, an acoustic labyrinth concept lengthens the sound tubes within a shell by squeezing longer tubes in a limited space, so as to increase sub-bass quantity. Because higher frequency sounds are dissipated first, when the sound travels over a prolonged period via a mazy longer tube, the bass may be emphasized.

Earbuds are generally slated for having weak sub-bass, but if you have heard some Smabat earbud eg original ST10, these generally have huge sub-bass because of this creative configuration.

@WoodyLuvr It looks like the same drivers and filters were available for the M0 and M2s Pro as seen HERE.

And for the M2 Pro 2020 our very own @baskingshark can probably best answer this (as seen HERE). It looks like there are actually 3 drivers for it. The stock one (40LCP???), the 150ti, and another ti (which I am going to guess as the 40ti), and 2 filters (type 0 and type 1).

As for the M3 Pro, I can't find any other options for the driver modules besides the stock 150ti, but one site said the filters were type 0 and type 1.

Also, didn't @mt877 find out there are actually 4 tuning filters for the M4 (0, 1, 2, and 3)? The stock one was the 0 IIRC, and you can't buy that one, except as stock when you purchase the M4 itself. Or am I forgetting and mixing it all up? I guess I am too lazy to search this thread... ROFL

Yep I think u are correct!

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #70,775 of 75,671

Yep, there are 4 tuning dampers, originally they weren't including the Type 2.5, but now they are. Smabat is selling the damper set with all four dampers now.

Tuning dampers set: https://www.smabat.cn/smabat/products/50939655.html

1689390141143.png

1689390088948.png

1689390115917.png

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #70,776 of 75,671
Jul 14, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #70,778 of 75,671
You are very welcome good sir. We can't have our resident "encyclopedia" missing information can we? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am looking into trying to find what those used (and the M0 also).

I don't recall that, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. I didn't see those available to purchase when I bought my modules for the M4.

I am trying to look into it. I will make another post on stuff I have found.

What @WoodyLuvr said, and you can have a look at them (for the ST10S) HERE. Scroll down to the "Internals" section to see pictures.
A team effort! Very much appreciated!

F'n outstanding I declare! Thank you for breaking out the crayons and bringing it down to my level (links are great). I will add/correct the timeline here shortly, 🙏.
In theory, if implemented properly, an acoustic labyrinth concept lengthens the sound tubes within a shell by squeezing longer tubes in a limited space, so as to increase sub-bass quantity. Because higher frequency sounds are dissipated first, when the sound travels over a prolonged period via a mazy longer tube, the bass may be emphasized.

Earbuds are generally slated for having weak sub-bass, but if you have heard some Smabat earbud eg original ST10, these generally have huge sub-bass because of this creative configuration.

Yep I think u are correct!
Very well put good sir! I was too lazy to extrapolate.
Yep, there are 4 tuning dampers, originally they weren't including the Type 2.5, but now they are. Smabat is selling the damper set with all four dampers now.

Tuning dampers set: https://www.smabat.cn/smabat/products/50939655.html

Bingo! So in regards to this fourth tuning damper for the M4... should I refer (mention) that it was originally Type-0 but now known and sold as Type-2.5 (M4 - 2.5)?

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #70,780 of 75,671

ahh I see. I also found a diagram. I'd be curious to know if there's any difference between this and a stem vent, especially since the upper diagram seems to be more a straight line than a labyrinth
Screenshot_20230714_203756_Chrome.jpg

The Z1R iem has a similar spiral-shaped tube behind its largest driver!
Screenshot_20230714_204215_YouTube.jpg

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #70,781 of 75,671
ahh I see. I also found a diagram. I'd be curious to know if there's any difference between this and a stem vent, especially since the upper diagram seems to be more a straight line than a labyrinthScreenshot_20230714_203756_Chrome.jpg
The Z1R iem has a similar spiral-shaped tube behind its largest driver!Screenshot_20230714_204215_YouTube.jpg

Not sure about the upper diagram, but there seems to be a longer spiral acoustic design in the Smabat earbud picture you showed:
1689392751281.png

As for the Sony Z1R, that IEM is endgame for bass quality with quantity (if well fitted - the fit is damn iffy). Perhaps this spiral acoustic design plays a part for this nice bass?

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #70,782 of 75,671
Bingo! So in regards to this fourth tuning damper for the M4... should I refer (mention) that it was originally Type-0 but now known and sold as Type-2.5 (M4 - 2.5)?
Originally Smabat called the default damper M4+type3, but that really caused a lot of confusion because in the first damper set the dampers were labeled Type-1, Type-2 and Type-3. So the confusion arises because they didn't supply a Type-4 as shown in the picture below.

In reality, Type-1=type1, Type-2=type2, M4+Type-2.5=M4+type3 and Type-3=type4, where "New name" = "Old name"
Tuning damper kit FR graph.jpg

Smabat realizing their mistake then corrected it and released a 'revised' tuning damper chart with the correct naming scheme.

revised tuning damper FR chart.jpg

And here's more info:

Default tuning damper type 2.5.jpg

Here's the old suggested tuning for M4 and different drivers. I remember seeing an updated tuning chart which suggested slightly different damper suggestions.

1689392899193.png

You can't forget, they also had a BA module for the M4. Surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly the BA module sounds very good with the M4 base and default tuning.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #70,783 of 75,671
Not sure about the upper diagram, but there seems to be a longer spiral acoustic design in the Smabat earbud picture you showed:
1689392751281.png

As for the Sony Z1R, that IEM is endgame for bass quality with quantity (if well fitted - the fit is damn iffy). Perhaps this spiral acoustic design plays a part for this nice bass?
Indeed. Also unlike a stem turbo vent it's capped with a mesh grill, that probably changes things somewhat. I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same effect as a stem vent but in a more compact shape though, my understanding is that you can do the same thing with a speaker's rear volume to simulate a longer chamber

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #70,784 of 75,671
Originally Smabat called the default damper M4+type3, but that really caused a lot of confusion because in the first damper set the dampers were labeled Type-1, Type-2 and Type-3. So the confusion arises because they didn't supply a Type-4 as shown in the picture below.

In reality, Type-1=type1, Type-2=type2, M4+Type-2.5=M4+type3 and Type-3=type4, where "New name" = "Old name"
Tuning damper kit FR graph.jpg

Smabat realizing their mistake then corrected it and released a 'revised' tuning damper chart with the correct naming scheme.

revised tuning damper FR chart.jpg

And here's more info:

Default tuning damper type 2.5.jpg

Here's the old suggested tuning for M4 and different drivers. I remember seeing an updated tuning chart which suggested slightly different damper suggestions.

1689392899193.png

You can't forget, they also had a BA module for the M4. Surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly the BA module sounds very good with the M4 base and default tuning.
Much appreciated; Svara-Smabat timeline fully updated :wink:

That last table/chart reminded that Smabat had added color codes to the various available drivers... I added those as well for further clarity.

Yes, I have listed both In-Ear BA modules... the original (short-lived) 22Ω BA unit and the current 30ΩTi BA unit aka S1.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #70,785 of 75,671
I just got the Qian39 from Shopee. It was around 8.46 USD (converted from Philippine peso) without shipping, then got a few discount vouchers so it went down to 3.31 USD including shipping, awesome bargain! I think I might be too used to the V-shape sound because it surprises me how loud the mids can get. I'm gonna compare this with my other earbud Koast Audio's Hiraya (made by a local brand in the Philippines). The box contained foams but I accidentally tore up one of them so I'm just using them without any foams lol. No tin can packaging. This is very easy to drive, my volume is only at 8% and it already gets so loud.

Qian39
IMG_5824.JPGIMG_4764.JPG

Hiraya
013.JPG
(I connected these earbuds directly to my laptop's audio jack, listening with Foobar2000, all music files are MP3 320kbps)

Qian39 > Hiraya
- Treble isn't too sharp
- Mids are louder (though sometimes a negative)
- Better balance of instruments
- Way better fit, I barely feel its weight on my ears
- More forward vocals

Hiraya > Qian39
- Treble sounds cleaner (I'm conflicted, it can get too sharp but I still like how it sounds lol)
- Percussion instruments sound more realistic to me
- Bass is stronger, can be a detriment though
- Technicalities are a bit better

Some of the music I listened to for comparison:

070 Shake - Cocoon
- Less clean sound during busiest parts on the Qian39
Beyoncé - VIRGO'S GROOVE
- About the same enjoyment for both earbuds, but I suppose the bass is slightly better (or just louder?) on the Hiraya
Casiopea - Take Me
- I actually prefer how it sounds overall on the Qian39 despite the less "clean" sound, I think it fits the vibe of the song
Disturbed - Save Our Last Goodbye
- Both earbuds don't handle this song that well, instruments and vocals get muddy at times though I think Qian39 edges out when it comes to sound balance
Force of Nature - Same Ol' Thing
- Better mids on Qian39
- Both handle bass and percussion well
Jiro Inagaki & His Soul Media - Dried Flowers
- Cymbals were more muddied on the Qian39
Jiro Inagaki & His Soul Media - Breeze
- Percussion instruments sound better on the Hiraya
- Bass rumble slightly better on the Hiraya
- Still very enjoyable on both earbuds
Masayoshi Takanaka - Oh! Tengo Suerte
- A fun listen on both earbuds, though cymbals get thinner on the Qian39 when it's too busy
- Vocals are more forward on the Qian39 and sound great to me
Masayoshi Takanaka - Seven Goblins
- Great bass on both, vocals are more forward on the Qian39
- Qian39 was able to handle the cymbals well during a busy part with the guitar riffs
- Overall a better enjoyment for me on the Qian39
Nujabes - Luv (sic)
- Better mids on Qian39
Odd Eye Circle - Je Ne Sais Quoi
- The sound gets a bit muddied once the song is at its busiest parts but still a fun listen
The Midnight - Vampires
- Weaker bass on the Qian39, likely just another case of being a different sound signature
The Prodigy - Smack My B*tch Up
- Better mids on the Qian39, sounded better overall
ZEDD - Stay the Night
- Sounds better on the Qian39, idk what to call the instrument I was hearing that sounded more "accurate" to me with the Qian39 lol

I love the shape and size of the Qian39, these are the perfect earbuds for me when it comes to fit. Would the LBBS be around the same shape and size? I'm considering getting one in the future. Or if anyone has another suggestion for earbuds with the same shape and size but better technicalities and a more durable cable...? :eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back