Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 2, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #70,501 of 75,578
Hello,

After reading ian91's very sincere review, and a very good exchange with Lee, I splurged and ordered the VE APWS.

Who else among all of us has this beautiful item?

I really hope you enjoy it like I do! Are you a vocal lover? What source will you use?

Jul 2, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #70,502 of 75,578
I really hope you enjoy it like I do! Are you a vocal lover? What source will you use?
Generally speaking, I'm more sensitive to midrange and treble tones and their harmonious combination, and I prefer low bass.
So I hope I'm right!:relaxed:
My source is an LP6 ti7 or a W4 on iPhone and the sound is bright, airy and analog and, to date, I'm not looking for anything else.:)

Jul 2, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #70,503 of 75,578
Generally speaking, I'm more sensitive to midrange and treble tones and their harmonious combination, and I prefer low bass.
So I hope I'm right!:relaxed:
My source is an LP6 ti7 or a W4 on iPhone and the sound is bright, airy and analog and, to date, I'm not looking for anything else.:)

Well, the midrange is forward and the treble is well extended. I described it as on the thinner side with only a modicum of warmth. Keep us updated anyway!

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #70,507 of 75,578
How big a difference is there between the EB2S Standard & Pro? and did you go with 3.5mm or 4.4mm for the Pro?
I don’t have the standard so I don’t know what the differences are. I got the 3.5mm. It’s not a high impedance bud so I figure SE would be enough

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #70,508 of 75,578

NEWBSOUND LEGEND - Short Impression​

20230627_131537~3.jpg

Bisoy Sisan has been quite an old name in the field of artisan earbud makers for quite some (y)ears now. When I got into earbuds, I reached out to him to purchase any of his earbuds, only to find his previous stocks are all sold out and he is not making anything anymore. New research is under progress, but no confirm launch date yet.

But that did not mean he forgot my request, which I found out later with a pleasant surprise when he suddenly pm-ed me a head-fi classifieds listing of Legend. I promptly secured the deal.

And it will suffice to say that was one of the best decisions ever. The retail price of Legend was $135, I got it for just $85! Talk about a great deal...made greater by the incredible sound output!

Legend has a sound unlike his previous creations, as per Bisoy Sisan's claim - it was tuned to sound more like a mainstream iem. Which means a V sound signature, except that it is more of a U signature to my ears. The subbass is very well extended and sounds completely natural, the midbass has a nice audible slam but is also controlled so that it colours the lower mid very little. The midrange is quite transparent and is rather neutral - vocals that are on the leaner side sound a bit digital instead of analogue on the Legend. Treble is quite bright, has a lot of energy and well-defined big notes, and sounds slightly forward with beautiful sparkles and extension. The upper midrange and treble might sound a bit grainy on certain tracks, but with Hiegi foams that was taken care of to a large extent. The overall presentation is quite big, extending very well in width and height, and quite fairly in depth as well. Accurate imaging, outstanding separation, and plenty of space between the notes truly made me go WOW from the very beginning. To my ears, the sound certainly does follow the name :o2smile:.

However, despite being 32 Ohm, they need above-average power to get to a listenable level. So it is recommended to use them via balanced out (if it is terminated to balanced plug already). I found out that the Jcally JM6-4 can drive it pretty well.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #70,509 of 75,578
Hi everyone,

New head-fier here looking to buy flathead earbuds. They will be used in conjunction with the radsone es100. Power output is max 1,1Vp into 16 ohms. I guess higher ohm buds are out of the picture?
I have been reading quite a bit about pk, mx400, bell shape and whatnot, but the more I read, the more confused I get. 😅
I do own the shuoer tape in ear, i eq it via es100 and they are quite neutral now, but there is no soundstage to speak of and there are dynamically really weak and seem compressed to me. Looking at flatheads, because supposedly they offer good dynamics and decent headstage compared to in ears. Not sealing the ear canal is a plus, as I will be taking them to work and will have to take them out of the ear frequently at the office .
I listen to a lot of different genres, mostly folk, singer-songwriter though. Occasionally electronic music, seldomly classical music. Subbass is not important to me, and I am not afraid of eq.
I am torn between buying 2-3 cheap sets of buds to try out the different shapes vs getting something decent. Budget is around 150€ I guess, but it is not a strict limit.

Hoping for helpful suggestions! Thanks

Jul 2, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #70,510 of 75,578
Hi everyone,

New head-fier here looking to buy flathead earbuds. They will be used in conjunction with the radsone es100. Power output is max 1,1Vp into 16 ohms. I guess higher ohm buds are out of the picture?
I have been reading quite a bit about pk, mx400, bell shape and whatnot, but the more I read, the more confused I get. 😅
I do own the shuoer tape in ear, i eq it via es100 and they are quite neutral now, but there is no soundstage to speak of and there are dynamically really weak and seem compressed to me. Looking at flatheads, because supposedly they offer good dynamics and decent headstage compared to in ears. Not sealing the ear canal is a plus, as I will be taking them to work and will have to take them out of the ear frequently at the office .
I listen to a lot of different genres, mostly folk, singer-songwriter though. Occasionally electronic music, seldomly classical music. Subbass is not important to me, and I am not afraid of eq.
I am torn between buying 2-3 cheap sets of buds to try out the different shapes vs getting something decent. Budget is around 150€ I guess, but it is not a strict limit.

Hoping for helpful suggestions! Thanks
I've been trying out so many buds in the last 6 months it's been kinda crazy. There's a few standouts though. My current obsessions are TGX Ear Sunniva and Rikubuds Alter Rider 3 (releasing soon). If looking at lower prices I like Rikubuds Lancer 1, Nice HCK EB2S Pro and Yincrow X6. I have a video where I went over most of the buds I've tried this year as well

Jul 2, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #70,512 of 75,578
Thanks! Will check out the video!
Anybody else have a "You NEED to get this earbud, it will change your life, you are never going back to in-ears and best of all it is only 50 bucks" suggestion for me? 😁
Unfortunately such earbuds don't exist, and certainly not for $50. In fact, there are situations in which IEMs are indispensable because of their passive noise isolation and because of the stability of their seating when moving. That's why it's great to have different solutions for different situations...
Of the cheap solutions, for myself I still recommend the RY4S Plus, which with the balanced cable I personally clearly prefer over the Yincrow X6.

Jul 2, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #70,514 of 75,578
I been looking for a pair of earbuds under 100USD. so far the one that appeals to me is the Yincrow Rhino and the Calf. What i wanna ask if these are best for the price or is there something better? if it helps i'm looking for balanced sound all even across the board or as close to it.

Jul 2, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #70,515 of 75,578
Thanks! Will check out the video!
Anybody else have a "You NEED to get this earbud, it will change your life, you are never going back to in-ears and best of all it is only 50 bucks" suggestion for me? 😁
I’m going to parrot the advice of others, but I think you are asking a bit much from an earbud :) Most people have actually chosen IEMs as Their Way. Not us of course, but you may find that to be true for yourself as well… With that said, you can DIY and earbud for that money that will compete with the best of the best. You could actually do almost 2 of them for that kind of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back