Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 29, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #70,411 of 75,541
Buy from Penon, but you might need to ask the admin of the EA FB group for a discount coupon if there is no Penon sale.

Usual price $50 USD, but on sale/coupon is $25.
What’s so special about those buds?

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #70,412 of 75,541
Im not gonna waste more time arguing with someone that accuses people of snake oil or stealing others work to profit on their own.
I agree, development takes a lot of time and effort.
I spent a lot of time on my project to make something incredible.
You can do it too, well done! :wink:

Jun 29, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #70,413 of 75,541
What’s so special about those buds?
They have a lot of bass and a fairly comfortable fit. The pinna gain is a bit too high and the treble a bit too muted. Very nice buds for $25. For $50…. I’d pass.

Jun 29, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #70,414 of 75,541
Jun 29, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #70,418 of 75,541
I'm surprised that you spent that much money and didn't have at least a probable theory about how they could possibly work and didn't try to argue your point with something at least pseudo-substantive. I don't have to own a 1970s Ford Pinto to know it's not a good car. When you think about the wavelength involved, diffusion is impossible in this situation. This isn't a "maybe" or "under certain conditions", this is a "no way.... Impossible" situation. I mean absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, these "diffusers" CAN'T diffuse. Not even close. Just like a coin on the road isn't going to stop your car from rolling. You would have been better to buy a used book on acoustics for $20 and learn what you are talking about before trying to sell things you don't understand with language that makes no sense. Your followers/customers will figure out that you don't know what you are doing if you continue in this manner. I tried telling you in the very beginning of your business that you should at least learn the very basics about what you are selling first. It's not morally right to do what you are doing. The wavelength of 20kHz is still too large to diffuse in an earbud shell, let alone something more useful like 300-3kHz. This is really very basic stuff here. If you designed a shell poorly enough, you might be able to get 20kHz to behave modally in an earbud shell. It would be extremely uncomfortable to wear for most of us however. This is very straightforward snake oil and it's obvious for anyone who knows the very basics about acoustics.
hmm
could you and riku discuss what you think is happening
because i have to concur with the diffusion, actual diffusion should not occur at this scale due to the wavelength of 20kHz being around 17mm, (unless the speed of sound is particularly low in a compact environment) and the diffusers themselves being far smaller than a half wavelength, but im not going to say that there is not an effect in adding the diffusers (if it is just reducing shell volume, leading to higher pitched resonances or something else), i cannot explain the acoustics of this either, and i'd like to since i'm doing some shell design atm.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #70,419 of 75,541
hmm
because i have to concur with the diffusion, actual diffusion should not occur at this scale due to the wavelength of 20kHz being around 17mm, (unless the speed of sound is particularly low in a compact environment) and the diffusers themselves being far smaller than a half wavelength, but im not going to say that there is not an effect in adding the diffusers (if it is just reducing shell volume, leading to higher pitched resonances or something else), i cannot explain the acoustics of this either, and i'd like to since i'm doing some shell design atm.
What a nice post and with a well merited suggestion. Bravo sir!

Indeed, why can we not be more positive & friendly and discuss other possible reasons for what may or may not be happening rather than focusing hard on disparagement and gross negativity? Let us all welcome alternative perspectives and ideas pertaining to subjects at hand, free of overtly negative responses and uncalled for condescension. There is absolutely no reason why we can't disagree and still politely discuss a particular topic or subject, civilly and respectively, without attacking someone's character (mind you a stranger whom we really do know nothing about, truly).

Jun 29, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #70,420 of 75,541
hmm

I have not tried it and I do not design any shell, nor do I have a 3D printer, nor do I have advanced knowledge of acoustics.

On the other hand, I haven't heard those buds, so I can't comment.

I write just so there is another answer and turn the page of this thread....

Jun 29, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #70,421 of 75,541
hmm
Well, they just deleted my post again and I’m not sure why so I’ll just say it again in a way that avoids talking about the situation at hand. Suffice to say you can’t diffuse sound in an earbud shell unless you want to use them for comic or a costume (think Frankenstein’s Monster or a struck by Cupid) effect, but you can make the material more resonant in the treble and all the clear shells I’ve measured have been more treble resonant. Adding internal globs of weight will likely affect these resonances in several ways that would be difficult to predict but easy to measure. Their size, weight, stiffness and location will all change the resonant behavior. Research shows that elevated treble sounds more spacious in headphones and has a greater potential to damage your hearing, so tread carefully. My SMABAT ST20pro are the most spacious sound I’ve ever heard, but the treble spikes into your brain and there’s no way I could love tolerate them longtime.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #70,422 of 75,541
Is this a 'new' one from Ksearphone - the Temperament DBX?

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $444.00 50%OFF | Ksearphone Temperament DBX True Forged Damascus Gold Titanium Alloy Chamber Flat Head Earplugs HIFI Limited
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLZ4pYs

It is quite a looker, but that price...

Jun 29, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #70,423 of 75,541

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $444.00 50%OFF | Ksearphone Temperament DBX True Forged Damascus Gold Titanium Alloy Chamber Flat Head Earplugs HIFI Limited

it's new
nobody knows anything about it, making me think it might have been a fake or leak. the titanium is really nice.

Jun 29, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #70,424 of 75,541
Well, they just deleted my post again and I’m not sure why so I’ll just say it again in a way that avoids talking about the situation at hand. Suffice to say you can’t diffuse sound in an earbud shell unless you want to use them for comic or a costume (think Frankenstein’s Monster or a struck by Cupid) effect, but you can make the material more resonant in the treble and all the clear shells I’ve measured have been more treble resonant. Adding internal globs of weight will likely affect these resonances in several ways that would be difficult to predict but easy to measure. Their size, weight, stiffness and location will all change the resonant behavior. Research shows that elevated treble sounds more spacious in headphones and has a greater potential to damage your hearing, so tread carefully. My SMABAT ST20pro are the most spacious sound I’ve ever heard, but the treble spikes into your brain and there’s no way I could love tolerate them longtime.
Treble spike at 8k is different from treble extension to 20kHz though. So many ChiFi companies, at least in the past, think they are the same. They slap a peak at 8k or 12k and then think they are done. No, that’s headache inducing, “fake resolution” treble. “Good treble” is smooth and flatly extended up to 20kHz. That’s how you get space and micro details.

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #70,425 of 75,541

@omerad posted about the Temperament DBX around middle of March. The DBX were introduced at the Shanghai Headphones Expo, 2023. omerad posted a couple pictures of the DBX in the post I linked. I guess it took a couple months for the DBX to be released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back