Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 3, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #69,061 of 75,654
I have three sets. Here’s my (relatively earbud novice) thoughts about it.

The X6 is the gateway bud, as you point out. It’s MILES ahead of most average buds in the $5 - $35 range. At roughly $12USD it’s arguably the best deal in all of audio gear period. They’re basically as good as a decent budget IEM, and that’s saying a lot.

As to where it sits more generally? Clearly you can find better. The FiiO F series buds are exceptionally good and some of the high impedance sets evidently preform very well too. Not to mention the whole realm of custom DIY sets which take it up even further to all accounts.

So my advice around the X6 is buy it! It’s impossible to go wrong. If you hate it, you’re only out $12. If you love it, you only spent $12! See what I mean? They’re the people’s entry level high performance bud.
As you said, you really can't go wrong with the X6. Since we know the good qualities of the FiiO F series, I'm waiting for the budget offering of FiiO FF1 to be released. From my understanding James of FiiO wants the FF1 to be affordable enough, have quality sound and good build quality (for plastic) that everyone will want to buy several and just leave them in different places so you always have buds ready for use. Maybe they're shooting for the 'every (wo)man' earbud.

Apr 3, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #69,062 of 75,654
Sony MDR-E272 that was made out of 7 dead pairs in order to find a matching couple of drivers. The cable and its jack are changed for spc and viablue :)
IMG_0268.jpegIMG_0270.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #69,063 of 75,654
I have only tried the Zen 2.0 once and I owned the Zen 3.0 briefly. Both were a bit too warm and mid centric for my tastes and what I was looking for, but they're both good earbuds that I can picture others who enjoy that sound sig more liking quite a bit. Did you have some specific question about them or are you just wondering why they don't get mentioned more often?

Edit: Let me add that if I had to decide between the two I would probably go with the Zen 3.0 as it gives you a bit more extension at each end of the spectrum.
I want to read some reviews before purchasing because I love VE Zen 2.0 so much. But anyway I just bought Zen 3.0 (used one) and waiting for delivery so I will update my though about Zen 3.0 comparing to Zen 2.0 soon. Sorry for late reply I didn't visit head-fi for some time. 🌝🙏🙏

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #69,064 of 75,654
I want to read some reviews before purchasing because I love VE Zen 2.0 so much. But anyway I just bought Zen 3.0 (used one) and waiting for delivery so I will update my though about Zen 3.0 comparing to Zen 2.0 soon. Sorry for late reply I didn't visit head-fi for some time. 🌝🙏🙏

All this Zen talk prompted me to dust off my VE Zen 1.0's. I had to dust off the foams as well, which were disintegrating. Just as well - I threw on some "crispies", and after some listening, I'm wondering why the heck didn't I just stop at the 1.0's??? They are so friggin' good.

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #69,065 of 75,654
All this Zen talk prompted me to dust off my VE Zen 1.0's. I had to dust off the foams as well, which were disintegrating. Just as well - I threw on some "crispies", and after some listening, I'm wondering why the heck didn't I just stop at the 1.0's??? They are so friggin' good.
Cool 😎

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #69,066 of 75,654

Crazy how that works right? I always try to remember that if something truly sounded good once, it'll always sound good. The OG Zens do that warm, laid back, and lush sound very well. 🤘😎

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #69,067 of 75,654

Awesome! Congrats on the new buds! I'll be interested to read your impressions once you've had some time with the 3.0s.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #69,068 of 75,654
If anyone is looking into dipping their toes in the waters of the mighty Serratus, Chitty is now putting that driver in a $36 clear shell MMCX bud. I'd personally choose the "Carbon" because it's easier to listen to, but this is available. If you like the driver, have some extra cash, and want to hear them tuned differently, you can try the real thing or tune them yourself. Not Serratus

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #69,069 of 75,654
That's very cool, thanks for the tip! Quite a set of choices though -- gold, carbon, blue -- 32, 80, 300ohms. Do you or anyone else (@FranQL, @samandhi etc.) have any ideas on how these different drivers would sound?

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #69,070 of 75,654
That's very cool, thanks for the tip! Quite a set of choices though -- gold, carbon, blue -- 32, 80, 300ohms. Do you or anyone else (@FranQL, @samandhi etc.) have any ideas on how these different drivers would sound?

I can't really tell you, "pull the trigger, it's a safe buy", as the tuning will be as basic or stock as you can imagine, i.e. the manufacturer will have simply placed the controller in the shell, and hopefully a horseshoe foam. and ready. Without complications.

If you are thinking of them, you should get a light cable with no shape for the ears that will have to be added to this....

I have opened the ad and for Spain it is €42 + cable..... hmmmm I don't know what to tell you.

Despite that, always talking about stock, 300 carbon is smooth and suitable for long listening sessions with quality bass (not quantity), and 300 blue is a more aggressive sound that can be saturation for more sensitive ears....

In no case do I make that statement extensive to serratus, since I have not heard it.

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #69,071 of 75,654
If anyone is looking into dipping their toes in the waters of the mighty Serratus, Chitty is now putting that driver in a $36 clear shell MMCX bud. I'd personally choose the "Carbon" because it's easier to listen to, but this is available. If you like the driver, have some extra cash, and want to hear them tuned differently, you can try the real thing or tune them yourself. Not Serratus
Those blue pet drivers on mmcx transparent shells is not a good choice

Apr 4, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #69,072 of 75,654
I say blue pet - bright or to bright and the others two - warm (safe buy). Anyway you will end up opening them 👍

Apr 4, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #69,073 of 75,654
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #69,074 of 75,654
I can't really tell you, "pull the trigger, it's a safe buy", as the tuning will be as basic or stock as you can imagine, i.e. the manufacturer will have simply placed the controller in the shell, and hopefully a horseshoe foam. and ready. Without complications.

If you are thinking of them, you should get a light cable with no shape for the ears that will have to be added to this....

I have opened the ad and for Spain it is €42 + cable..... hmmmm I don't know what to tell you.

Despite that, always talking about stock, 300 carbon is smooth and suitable for long listening sessions with quality bass (not quantity), and 300 blue is a more aggressive sound that can be saturation for more sensitive ears....

In no case do I make that statement extensive to serratus, since I have not heard it.
This is sound advice. No pun intended of course.
Those blue pet drivers on mmcx transparent shells is not a good choice
I'd absolutely agree with you, but there are several experienced people who love to climb the Sharp Rocky High Peak of Mount Serratus.

I was thinking, maybe the poor man's Serratus is actually a Monk Plus. It's a little warmer and less deep bass, but has the added bonus of better channel balance, easier to drive, and cost less than sandwich in California. The 32 Ohm version of the Serratus cone sounds the most like the Monk Plus of any driver I've used.
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 8.34.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.16.16 PM.png

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #69,075 of 75,654
Mr. @jeejack nailed this one for me: the blue PET will definitely on the bright end of thing. The Gold should be a bit more neutral, and the carbon a bit dark. The Carbon will likely be the most easily tuned however because it's easier to brighten up than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back