Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 6, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #68,641 of 75,538
Hi all, thought this would be the best place to ask for help. I’ve tried a couple different brands and different thickness/types of foams and narrowed down my favorite to the thin donut foam from Venture Electronics. Anyone know where I can buy a pack of these or something similar?

F4523093-C724-414B-A44F-AF263F8CA120.jpeg

I can’t seem to find them sold separately anywhere. Last resort I can buy the EX-lite variety pack that Veclan sells on AliExpress but seems kinda wasteful to spend 3 USD on each pack given that I’ll only use two pairs out of each pack.

I’ve tried other brands like Fiio and Hiegi but they’ve all been a little too thick which causes the bass to sound a bit blunted to my ears.

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #68,642 of 75,538
Hi all, thought this would be the best place to ask for help. I’ve tried a couple different brands and different thickness/types of foams and narrowed down my favorite to the thin donut foam from Venture Electronics. Anyone know where I can buy a pack of these or something similar?

I can’t seem to find them sold separately anywhere. Last resort I can buy the EX-lite variety pack that Veclan sells on AliExpress but seems kinda wasteful to spend 3 USD on each pack given that I’ll only use two pairs out of each pack.

I’ve tried other brands like Fiio and Hiegi but they’ve all been a little too thick which causes the bass to sound a bit blunted to my ears.
You can get some replacement foams from the VE AliExpress store:

Venture Electronics VE Ex-pack earbuds Hifi Earphones foams

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #68,643 of 75,538
A couple of days ago I asked for help for get some earbuds and in the mean time I have the Fiio FF3 on there way but I still need some earbuds with microphone, sometimes I'm listening to music in between a lot of calls/meetings.

I was thinking about getting this cable below but don't know what earbuds to get with it.

NiceHCK BlackWheat 8 Core Silver Plated Copper Microphone Cable

If someone can recommend something not to expensive 20/25$ on aliexpress to go with the cable would really appreciate. Thanks.

Mar 7, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #68,644 of 75,538
I wanna solder a KZ bluetooth module to earbuds, but I can only make one speaker to work.

There are 4 cables in the bt module on each side: blue, green, red and orange. In both speakers, I soldered the red cable to the side marked with a red dot, and the orange cable to the other side. I swaped speakers in case one was broken, but only the right side of the bluetooth module would work.

Do I have to do something with the green and blue cables?

It works!

c218876a-8446-4ada-b0d5-a9381027f626.jpg

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #68,645 of 75,538
A couple of days ago I asked for help for get some earbuds and in the mean time I have the Fiio FF3 on there way but I still need some earbuds with microphone, sometimes I'm listening to music in between a lot of calls/meetings.

I was thinking about getting this cable below but don't know what earbuds to get with it.

If someone can recommend something not to expensive 20/25$ on aliexpress to go with the cable would really appreciate. Thanks.
This is a tough one to give recommendations on because that cable is for over ear wear. Also, it doesn't say if the volume buttons work with iDevices or android (it usually not both because the pinout is different for both though the mic and the play/pause button should work for both). Also, normally when you get a budget set that does come with a detachable cable, there is the choice to get the cable with a mic built in (though not always). Personally, I don't know of any sets that I would recommend that sound/fit good as an over ear bud. Not that there aren't any, but I don't have a lot of experience with budget buds that aren't MX500 shells (other than something like the NiceHCK EB2S, but they have a fixed cable with or without mic).
It works!

c218876a-8446-4ada-b0d5-a9381027f626.jpg
Good job! :)

Tell us how they sound?

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #68,647 of 75,538

Your cable choice is for hook over ear. So there will be limited choices in your price range. The NSC Audio 80Ω LCPs should work with the mmcx version of that cable. Get the 80Ω LCP without cable (2nd selection), cost for buds only is $17.00. If you get a set with the cable, the cable has a microphone as well, your choice.

Here's a pic of NSC Audio buds with cable, see the microphone.
S85f837bafd2c4d38b49ca3ae9d47b473F.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #68,648 of 75,538
anyone got any experience with repairing the moondrop chaconne? The left ear is cutting in and out, so I suspect the soldering job is loose or something. I've never soldered before so I'm not sure how difficult it is, or even how to take this apart without breaking it. If anyone knows a repair service, it would be great :)

Mar 7, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #68,649 of 75,538
This is out of the blue, but if anyone has a 20$ and still curious about new cheap stuff, you could try these : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.9.74fd1802teN9e5

It’s a 130 ohm lcp diaphragm. I find them better than the Faaeal Rosemary, witch were thus far my reference (mind you, I own very few earbuds: Quian39, the 80 ohm lcp from DIY store, the Rosemary and a copy of the tc200 from Fengru). A bit harder to drive than the Quian and the Fengru, but nothing crazy. BTR3 is plenty. TRN ear hooks just fine if you don’t listen at ear splitting levels.

Basically a bit more clarity than the Rosemary, highs about the same, a bit more punch, cleaner bass, maybe a small bit less mid bass/low mids, but this could also be the effect of a very slight bump in high mids compared to Rosemary. Sounds as big or bigger than Rosemary, but i dit not so far form a clear opinion on technicalities such as stage and imaging, but seems definitely more resolving to me than Rosemary. All in all, very very well balanced to me.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #68,650 of 75,538
anyone got any experience with repairing the moondrop chaconne? The left ear is cutting in and out, so I suspect the soldering job is loose or something. I've never soldered before so I'm not sure how difficult it is, or even how to take this apart without breaking it. If anyone knows a repair service, it would be great :)
Sorry to hear that. Do you not have warranty on them?

I am sure there are a few DIYers on here that could help you out on this. Having said that, I don't know of any repair shops in the US that could work on them for you (though I am sure there has to be some that can).

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #68,651 of 75,538
Sorry to hear that. Do you not have warranty on them?

I am sure there are a few DIYers on here that could help you out on this. Having said that, I don't know of any repair shops in the US that could work on them for you (though I am sure there has to be some that can).
Good point, I'm not sure to be honest. I got them from shenzen audio on Amazon a little over a year ago. I can't find any sort of warranty info.

Yea, I asked here since I figure if anyone can save them, it'd be someone here.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #68,653 of 75,538
Got some earbuds from Lrey coming all the way from the Philippines. I hope they sound good because they look amazing in pictures.
received_213219574557037.jpeg
received_518416100455673.jpeg

Wow wicked!

Do they have a site or link to purchase from. Sweet wood shells!

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #68,654 of 75,538
Wow wicked!

Do they have a site or link to purchase from. Sweet wood shells!
https://www.facebook.com/LREYPortableMusic?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Message him on Facebook and he'll hook you up. I'll have my thoughts on them once I get them. Currently the only earbuds I have are from Venture Electronics so that will be my barometer. JVC FW1800 and 634ears will also be considered when figuring out if they sound good as they look. LREY said each bud recommends 150hrs of burn in to reach its peak sound so we'll see.

Mar 8, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #68,655 of 75,538
Good point, I'm not sure to be honest. I got them from shenzen audio on Amazon a little over a year ago. I can't find any sort of warranty info.

Yea, I asked here since I figure if anyone can save them, it'd be someone here.
Unfortunately they only have a one year warranty.

I wonder i they aren't just glued together (at the driver face), and some heat might allow them to be taken apart for the fix?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back