Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #68,056 of 75,456
You are right, but it doesn't hurt sometimes to throw the good ones out there for testing out a specific set of buds (for instance).

There was one that you recced (Umphrey's McGee) that I liked so much that I went looking for a "pay for digital download" but couldn't find it anywhere in Redbook or hi-res. Amazon has it but if you buy digital download from them, you get lousy .mp3s. So I have relied on using Amazon Music (24/44) to listen to it. I think I even looked for the CD set, but all I could find was the regular, and not the "redux" edition (which has both versions and I have to have LOL).

I guess I will just have to order the CD version of the regular album and settling to the listening to the remasters on Amazon Music..... was hoping to find a hi-res version somewhere. :)

Qobuz's downloads store has most of UM's discography. All of it is in CD quality at a minimum and they have several of their albums in hi-res. That's where I purchased my downloads from.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #68,057 of 75,456
Qobuz's downloads store has most of UM's discography. All of it is in CD quality at a minimum and they have several of their albums in hi-res. That's where I purchased my downloads from.
Thanks, I'll have a look. :)

I was quite surprised at not finding all of UM's albums on Bandcamp. They do have one or two IIRC, just not the specific one I was looking for. :)

Regarding your latest rec, BOY do they love their 70's style "slap" bass. It sort of makes me think of a less "metal" sounding version of Primus... It sounds really good.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #68,058 of 75,456
Jan 30, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #68,059 of 75,456
Thanks, I'll have a look. :)

I was quite surprised at not finding all of UM's albums on Bandcamp. They do have one or two IIRC, just not the specific one I was looking for. :)

Regarding your latest rec, BOY do they love their 70's style "slap" bass. It sort of makes me think of a less "metal" sounding version of Primus... It sounds really good.

The UM Bandcamp page looks like they don't really keep up with it. Like they started it and then decided it wasn't worth the effort for whatever reason.

The dudes from The Omnific definitely seem to enjoy their funky slap bass for sure. The track entitled Scurryfunge is one of my favorites. It always gets me bobbin' my head and finger or air drummin'.

@o0genesis0o : LOL 😂 The real question is, is your Rosemary bassy? I don't know about you, but I like my herbs to have solid low end performance.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #68,060 of 75,456

Hey, you are back. Haven’t seen you around for a while

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #68,061 of 75,456
All but one of them are MX500 shells, not the most comfy shell for me, and a mmcx MX500 have very long stem, don't fancy that. I have one mmcx MX500 type bud in my small collection, I prefer other shells.

The one bud that is not MX500 I have one exactly like that, that's a comfy shell but unfortunately this particular DIY I have doesn't sound that good (but it was quite cheap so that's ok 😊).

I guess I exaggerated a bit when I wrote that I don't know any buds that fit the criterias, I have one at home, forgot about that one 🤣

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #68,062 of 75,456
All but one of them are MX500 shells, not the most comfy shell for me, and a mmcx MX500 have very long stem, don't fancy that. I have one mmcx MX500 type bud in my small collection, I prefer other shells.

The one bud that is not MX500 I have one exactly like that, that's a comfy shell but unfortunately this particular DIY I have doesn't sound that good (but it was quite cheap so that's ok 😊).

I guess I exaggerated a bit when I wrote that I don't know any buds that fit the criterias, I have one at home, forgot about that one 🤣

if you enjoy the adjustment of TO600....why not give it another "taste"????

I currently use it with a DIY driver which just makes me want them that much more,

IMG_20211030_203039.jpg
20221217_154644.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #68,065 of 75,456

I currently use it with a DIY driver which just makes me want them that much more,

IMG_20211030_203039.jpg
20221217_154644.jpg
BTW! For some reason your cables always seem to look so delicious... LOL

Jan 30, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #68,066 of 75,456
You are welcome. :)

Oh, I almost forgot another one of 7Hz releases, the Eternal which looked much like the Timeless in shape but were another DD venture. They also weren't near as popular as the Timeless.

Thanks for the link. I will have a look at them. :)

The 7Hz Eternal is a single DD, quite bad IMHO. Would grade it 2/5. Crappy fit and technically weak for the retail price asked, many single DDs at 1/4 the price kill it in technicalities easily.

Timeless was the set that started the planar IEM frenzy at the end of 2021, but I would grade it 3/5. Bad planar timbre, zero soundstage depth and some treble spikes. Quite a lot of planar predecessors outclass it nowadays. But I guess it brought about the planar hypetrain and made other CHIFI competitors research into this area, so consumers benefitted. Now we see planar IEMs at sub $100 USD, and the planars really bring great transients and technicalities to the table.

I really hope planar earbuds can become mainstream in the coming years, that might be a real gamechanger. Though how to incorporate huge planar drivers in a earbud shell is gonna be a challenge to overcome!

You are right, but it doesn't hurt sometimes to throw the good ones out there for testing out a specific set of buds (for instance).

There was one that you recced (Umphrey's McGee) that I liked so much that I went looking for a "pay for digital download" but couldn't find it anywhere in Redbook or hi-res. Amazon has it but if you buy digital download from them, you get lousy .mp3s. So I have relied on using Amazon Music (24/44) to listen to it. I think I even looked for the CD set, but all I could find was the regular, and not the "redux" edition (which has both versions and I have to have LOL).

I guess I will just have to order the CD version of the regular album and settling to the listening to the remasters on Amazon Music..... was hoping to find a hi-res version somewhere. :)

Is Amazon music good? Haven't tried them before. How is their selection and sonic quality?

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #68,067 of 75,456
Timeless was the set that started the planar IEM frenzy at the end of 2021, but I would grade it 3/5. Bad planar timbre, zero soundstage depth and some treble spikes. Quite a lot of planar predecessors outclass it nowadays. But I guess it brought about the planar hypetrain and made other CHIFI competitors research into this area, so consumers benefitted. Now we see planar IEMs at sub $100 USD, and the planars really bring great transients and technicalities to the table.
I never knew you rated them so low. Interesting. I still have mine, but honestly, I don't listen to them as much as I do the Hook-X and the P1.

A lot of people have forgotten, but the Tinhifi P1 actually started the planar IEM craze (though it took some years before the industry started catching up). But, you are right, consumers benefitted then, and they still do with craze seemingly maturing. I have found the Hook-X to be superb, and am so glad I got them. They seem to be the best I have heard to date (other than the grand daddy P1).
Is Amazon music good? Haven't tried them before. How is their selection and sonic quality?
It is very good IMO. I am not sure of the number of songs, but 1) Amazon claims it is in the millions. 2) There has never been anything I can't find on there, even some pretty obscure stuff.

As long as you set the "settings" to HD only, you will get AT LEAST Redbook, with a ton of ultra HD in there too. Ultra HD consists of anything above 16/44, all the way up to 24/192. You can download anything to listen to offline (but only through their player, and if you quit, those go away). It DOES have a built in EQ, though it is only 5 band GEQ

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #68,069 of 75,456
Hey, you are back. Haven’t seen you around for a while

Yup, life got crazy preparing to hit the road and stuff, but now that I'm settling into the swing of things and have some travel and insomniac boredom time on my hands I figured I would check in. How's life, bro? I hope you (and everyone else) had a good holiday season and have had a nice start to your new year. Any gems coming up in the review cycle?

Edit: BTW, you should check out a band called The Omnific and their album Escapades. The deluxe edition is best because it has live tracks that are killer on the second half. You liked Polyphia so you'll def like these guys.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #68,070 of 75,456

IMG_20211030_203039.jpg
20221217_154644.jpg

What DIY driver do you use in it? I have been thinking about doing something like this with either my TO600s or my Tomahawks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back