Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #68,071 of 75,685
BTW! For some reason your cables always seem to look so delicious... LOL

Have you ever seen sugar floss or glass candy at carnivals or county fairs? It looks like translucent strands of colored sugar like a thicker version of cotton candy fibers. His cables remind me of it a lot of the time lol! 😂

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #68,072 of 75,685
How's life, bro? I hope you (and everyone else) had a good holiday season and have had a nice start to your new year.
Just reading. I had a reading backlog but then sidetracked into a bunch of philosophy and literature classics. Hope that all the tour prep is going fine for you.

Any gems coming up in the review cycle?

I finished FF5 review recently, so not much on the earbuds side. On the IEM side, there are a couple of Fiio IEM and the AFUL Performance 5. I recall that you don't like these so there is no much to share for now :dt880smile:

Edit: BTW, you should check out a band called The Omnific and their album Escapades. The deluxe edition is best because it has live tracks that are killer on the second half. You liked Polyphia so you'll def like these guys.
Will do. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #68,073 of 75,685
Just reading. I had a reading backlog but then sidetracked into a bunch of philosophy and literature classics. Hope that all the tour prep is going fine for you.

I finished FF5 review recently, so not much on the earbuds side. On the IEM side, there are a couple of Fiio IEM and the AFUL Performance 5. I recall that you don't like these so there is no much to share for now :dt880smile:

Will do. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tour prep is over, bro. I'm doing the insomniac forum crawl in the wee hours in my hotel room as we speak. But thanka for the kind words. The prep went well and the beginning has been great. A few hiccups and wrinkles, but that's to be expected.

I have been reading quite a bit myself. I'm about halfway through Dumas' The Count of Monte Christo. I haven't read it since high school and sunce starting it, I have definitely been reminded of why I loved it so much the first time around. Great book!

I'll definitely have to check out your FF5 review. I have been thinking about writing up a review on my Schiit Modi Multibit 2. My girl got it for me for Christmas so I could have a multibit or R2R DAC in my travel rig and I have been thoroughly impressed. In fact, I have been so impressed that I'm even thinking about posting a review to spread the word.

In topical news, I just scored a pair of mint Simphonio Dragon 3+ for less than half of MSRP and, even though I won't get to try them until I get a break at home, I am super stoked to see how they compare to my much beloved Dragon 3s.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #68,074 of 75,685
My earbud buddies get first peak at something I built to drive high impedance buds.

01.jpg
02.jpg

Yep, you see 2 tubes and a Burson V6 Vivid op-amp in there.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #68,075 of 75,685
My earbud buddies get first peak at something I built to drive high impedance buds.

01.jpg 02.jpg
Yep, you see 2 tubes and a Burson V6 Vivid op-amp in there.

Do you have any output specs for us? This thing looks way cool! 👍😎

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #68,076 of 75,685
Do you have any output specs for us? This thing looks way cool! 👍😎
No specs yet. I just finished with the build tonight. It frick'n sounds great. I have to put a scope on it and take some measurements.

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #68,077 of 75,685
No specs yet. I just finished with the build tonight. It frick'n sounds great. I have to put a scope on it and take some measurements.

Don't worry about it. I did an amp/DAC w/ Bluetooth receiver build this summer that came out pretty good, but nothing with tubes and that jazz. I'll bet it does sound nice and you can color me impressed! 👍🤘😎

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #68,079 of 75,685
have been reading quite a bit myself. I'm about halfway through Dumas' The Count of Monte Christo. I haven't read it since high school and sunce starting it, I have definitely been reminded of why I loved it so much the first time around. Great book!

I can recommend Albert Camus “The Plague”. It’s shocking how his description of people’s psyche and reaction to an imaginary plague in a north African town are spot on with how current people reacted to our own plague.

Oh, and I don’t think our opinions of FF5 align. I remember you were lukewarm whilst I gave it a seal of approval :dt880smile: Wonder if Fiio would release a FF7 this year.

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #68,080 of 75,685
I used to feel the exact same way until I ordered the Chaconne. While I hate that you can't replace the cable if it breaks, I have had no issues with them to this point, and I don't really miss it (at least on this set). The same goes for the Yinman. They are also a fixed cable, and I complained (on here) when I first got them, but after a time, I changed my mind and don't really miss not being able to change the cable.

Now if/when the time comes that the cable is the bottleneck in whether they work or not, I will probably change my mind again (because I will be mad that I have a paperweight instead of earbuds). But, until that time, I will just live with it.

However, I totally understand if you don't want to deal with it to begin with. Though I DO think you might miss out on some of the best earbuds money can buy if you eliminate them based on this fact.
I like to have stuff simple mostly, therefore I use mic on my earbuds. That's the biggest reason for me to want detachable.
But in this day and age I have found another reason, new phones doesn't have 3.5mm, with detachable it is possible to buy cable with good usb-c DAC/AMP. I bought such a cable from ali to test it out, doesn't work that well on my phones unfortunately, problem with the mic in calls.

I don't care if I "miss out" on earbuds, there's plenty buds with detachable cables to choose from 😊

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #68,081 of 75,685
What DIY driver do you use in it? I have been thinking about doing something like this with either my TO600s or my Tomahawks.
Do mind doing short comparison between TO600 and RW-3000 and FF5?
I love TO600, but my fingers itching to try something new. I would like something similar to TO600, but maybe with a bit more thicker sound.

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #68,082 of 75,685
I can recommend Albert Camus “The Plague”. It’s shocking how his description of people’s psyche and reaction to an imaginary plague in a north African town are spot on with how current people reacted to our own plague.

Oh, and I don’t think our opinions of FF5 align. I remember you were lukewarm whilst I gave it a seal of approval :dt880smile: Wonder if Fiio would release a FF7 this year.

The Plague is a great book and, you're right, it's increibly poignant given our current circumstances. I don't think I've read The Plague since college though I have read some of Camus' other works more recently after Michel Foucault referenced some things in one of his books that I was reading. Great pick!

As for the FF5 review, we don't have to agree for me to enjoy a well written review by a passionate friend. Reviews would be awfully boring if they just agreed with my views all the time lol! 😂

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #68,083 of 75,685
Do mind doing short comparison between TO600 and RW-3000 and FF5?
I love TO600, but my fingers itching to try something new. I would like something similar to TO600, but maybe with a bit more thicker sound.

I have been up all night/morning and I'm gonna try to get a little sleep while I'm feeling tired before I have to start travelling again. If you can wait a few hours, I'll put together a comparison once we get on the road and I'll be sure to tag you so you won't miss it. Sound good?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #68,084 of 75,685
I have been up all night/morning and I'm gonna try to get a little sleep while I'm feeling tired before I have to start travelling again. If you can wait a few hours, I'll put together a comparison once we get on the road and I'll be sure to tag you so you won't miss it. Sound good?
Ofourse, sleep tight!
No hurry, sounds good mate 👌👍

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #68,085 of 75,685
:dt880smile: Wonder if Fiio would release a FF7 this year.
I doubt it would happen, but if so that would be great :) I admit I've hardly listened to any other earbuds since getting the FF5, it works for me so well. An upgrade or side grade from FiiO would be an automatic buy for me.

By the way, FF5 + UTWS5 bluetooth receiver worked great under my snowboard helmet last weekend. The snow muffles outside noise, so the sound came through really nicely. It was amazing having really good sounding music on the slopes, and the buttons were easy to control by pressing on my helmet ear pads. The only problem was that the buttons would also sometimes accidentally press if I moved my head or body too quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back