Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #68,041 of 75,673
If the buds market were much bigger it would be easier to buy used buds, now I have to buy new stuff 😆

I don't buy expensive buds if they don't have detachable cable. Cheaper buds I can buy with fixed cable, as long as it has mic 😅 I can buy pricier DIY buds if they have detachable cable and are comfortable. MX500 shells doesn't sit that good in my ears (they are OK but my TO600 are much better). I have never seen a DIY bud that match my criterias.
Really?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230130_201219_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_201219_Photos.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230130_201022_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_201022_Photos.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230130_200903_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_200903_Instagram.jpg
    865.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230130_200756_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_200756_Instagram.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230130_200734_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230130_200734_Instagram.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 0
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #68,042 of 75,673
If the buds market were much bigger it would be easier to buy used buds, now I have to buy new stuff 😆

I don't buy expensive buds if they don't have detachable cable. Cheaper buds I can buy with fixed cable, as long as it has mic 😅 I can buy pricier DIY buds if they have detachable cable and are comfortable. MX500 shells doesn't sit that good in my ears (they are OK but my TO600 are much better). I have never seen a DIY bud that match my criterias.
I used to feel the exact same way until I ordered the Chaconne. While I hate that you can't replace the cable if it breaks, I have had no issues with them to this point, and I don't really miss it (at least on this set). The same goes for the Yinman. They are also a fixed cable, and I complained (on here) when I first got them, but after a time, I changed my mind and don't really miss not being able to change the cable.

Now if/when the time comes that the cable is the bottleneck in whether they work or not, I will probably change my mind again (because I will be mad that I have a paperweight instead of earbuds). But, until that time, I will just live with it.

However, I totally understand if you don't want to deal with it to begin with. Though I DO think you might miss out on some of the best earbuds money can buy if you eliminate them based on this fact.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #68,043 of 75,673
Well... after spending a couple of months with the Chaconne, I've concluded they are really great, and realistic sounding, but they are not actually neutral. In my ears they sound a bit on the bright side sometimes (my reference are the Etymotic ER4SR). As an uneven comparison as it is, I find the Monk (VE) to have a much more neutral (darker) tonality.
What Hi-Res earbuds would be closer to that neutrality I'm looking for?

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #68,046 of 75,673
To @Marteaux : Just in case no one else answered, no, I don't think of the Rosemarys as being bass heavy. They have a decent bass response, though.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #68,047 of 75,673
Well... after spending a couple of months with the Chaconne, I've concluded they are really great, and realistic sounding, but they are not actually neutral. In my ears they sound a bit on the bright side sometimes (my reference are the Etymotic ER4SR). As an uneven comparison as it is, I find the Monk (VE) to have a much more neutral (darker) tonality.
What Hi-Res earbuds would be closer to that neutrality I'm looking for?
Not to say that there AREN'T any, but most earbuds are either bright, or warm regarding neutral. While the Chaconne lean a bit towards the bright side (minus the pina gain spike most others have), the bass is very neutral on them. Having said that, there are so many differing answers when asked what neutral means to them. I have even heard some say that bass cannons are neutral to their ears. :)

Bottom line is that I have not heard any earbuds that are truly neutral across the board. The Chaconne are the closest I have heard in an earbud.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #68,048 of 75,673
BTW, you want a new music rec? For all of you guys that liked my Polyphia rec, check out Escapades by The Omnific. If you can, grab the deluxe edition, the secobd half of which features a bunch of hi-res live tracks that are very well done. Such a sick album!

a1902577227_10-1.jpg

Cool stuff as usual. I was listening to the deluxe edition, thinking to myself "How the heck can these guys possibly play this stuff live?". I switched screens to see what track I was onto, and to my surprise, they were playing the stuff live! Pretty darned good.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #68,049 of 75,673
Not to say that there AREN'T any, but most earbuds are either bright, or warm regarding neutral. While the Chaconne lean a bit towards the bright side (minus the pina gain spike most others have), the bass is very neutral on them. Having said that, there are so many differing answers when asked what neutral means to them. I have even heard some say that bass cannons are neutral to their ears. :)

Bottom line is that I have not heard any earbuds that are truly neutral across the board. The Chaconne are the closest I have heard in an earbud.
Good observations. I mean, I do love the Chaconne, but sometimes I would like a more neutral earbud. So maybe the question should be about an earbud closer to the Monk sound signature, but technically superior

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #68,050 of 75,673
the Chaconne is best for watching movie or not ?
OK! So, I put the Chaconne in and watched a movie (Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan), and I will stand by what I said earlier. They are FANTASTIC for movies! As for having a wide soundstage, I would put them up there with the Sennheiser HD700 and (the legendary) HD800. Though, those still have just a bit wider staging.

Keep in mind though as @syazwaned pointed out they CAN feel heavy to you depending on fitment. For me, while they don't like to stay in my ears if I am moving around a lot (like walking/running, or being out and about) they don't feel heavy and are very comfortable to me.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #68,051 of 75,673
Cool stuff as usual. I was listening to the deluxe edition, thinking to myself "How the heck can these guys possibly play this stuff live?". I switched screens to see what track I was onto, and to my surprise, they were playing the stuff live! Pretty darned good.

Hell yeah! I rec'd the deluxe edition specifically because it has those live tracks on the second half. I just found these guys kinda by accident so I have never seen them live, but I have seen Polyphia and Chon (a band that does some similar stuff, but in a less prog/metal vein) and watching them play live is really cool. The guitarists and bass guitarists are almost constantly switching stuff on their pedal boards and doing all kinds of crazy muting and tapping techniques and goodness knows what else. It's crazy to watch for sure.

Anyways, I'm glad you're diggin' The Omnific. I read an article about them that mentioned that they're back in the studio post-covid and putting another album together so I'm hoping we'll see some new material from them sooner rather than later.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #68,052 of 75,673
Good observations. I mean, I do love the Chaconne, but sometimes I would like a more neutral earbud. So maybe the question should be about an earbud closer to the Monk sound signature, but technically superior
For my part I cannot name one. The RW3000 come close, but are more akin to an IEM than a neutral earbud, and the mid bass make them fairly musical (but still leaning more towards analytical). The same goes for the FiiO FF5, and some of the other TOTL buds coming out nowadays, though I might say that these can be pretty neutral for some stuff (but also leaning more towards bright). For the most part the Smabat M2s Pro are neutral, but have that nasty boost in the ear gain region that so many have nowadays. The FF3 are super bassy (for an earbud), and are also very warm in nature. Mid bass is boosted on these (in a great way though). The Yinman are also very bassy, but focused more on sub bass, so it can seem at times to not have enough punch. These are also very warm in their presentation.

One suggestion might be to add some PEQ to the bass region of the Chaconne. This won't make them bassy at all (depending on the amount you add), but it will bring the lower region up enough so that they don't seem so bright to you (more linear across the board). They become a bit more musical also while retaining the analytical nature that they are made of. If you would like, I could share my PEQ with you on them?! :)

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #68,053 of 75,673
Hell yeah! I rec'd the deluxe edition specifically because it has those live tracks on the second half. I just found these guys kinda by accident so I have never seen them live, but I have seen Polyphia and Chon (a band that does some similar stuff, but in a less prog/metal vein) and watching them play live is really cool. The guitarists and bass guitarists are almost constantly switching stuff on their pedal boards and doing all kinds of crazy muting and tapping techniques and goodness knows what else. It's crazy to watch for sure.

Anyways, I'm glad you're diggin' The Omnific. I read an article about them that mentioned that they're back in the studio post-covid and putting another album together so I'm hoping we'll see some new material from them sooner rather than later.
Just pressed play on this one. So far so good. Though I trust your recs. I don't think I have listened to to one that I didn't like (from you) yet.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #68,054 of 75,673
Just pressed play on this one. So far so good. Though I trust your recs. I don't think I have listened to to one that I didn't like (from you) yet.

I'm glad they've been good. Since this isn't a music rec thread I keep my posts here to really good finds. The guys over in the what headphones are you listening with thread aren't so lucky! 😂

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #68,055 of 75,673
I'm glad they've been good. Since this isn't a music rec thread I keep my posts here to really good finds. The guys over in the what headphones are you listening with thread aren't so lucky! 😂
You are right, but it doesn't hurt sometimes to throw the good ones out there for testing out a specific set of buds (for instance).

There was one that you recced (Umphrey's McGee) that I liked so much that I went looking for a "pay for digital download" but couldn't find it anywhere in Redbook or hi-res. Amazon has it but if you buy digital download from them, you get lousy .mp3s. So I have relied on using Amazon Music (24/44) to listen to it. I think I even looked for the CD set, but all I could find was the regular, and not the "redux" edition (which has both versions and I have to have LOL).

I guess I will just have to order the CD version of the regular album and settling to the listening to the remasters on Amazon Music..... was hoping to find a hi-res version somewhere. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back