Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 30, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #68,026 of 75,806
OK! So, I was able to find them for about $186 (where they are $209 everywhere else on AE) from places like here. I was also able to find a Youtube video on them, and it was actually posted 2 years ago. From what that video was talking about the driver in this model is a very cheap (and common) one, though he also goes on to say that he hasn't actually heard them. I have not seen anywhere that talks about actually hearing them. I was also able to (end up) finding these on 7 different AE stores, and there are no customer reviews or comments on any of them.

I'm thinking that these (being out for over 2 years) must not be that popular, or the people are thinking they are just way overpriced.

Edit: The other ones you asked about are pretty pricey (IMHO) for a no-name company, and they don't come with a cable at all (unless you pay $13 more). These seem way overpriced to me (though I am no expert at telling TOTL from lower end just by looking). :)

I think that we (as a consumer) need to be careful with what we spend our hard earned money on with earbuds. It seems as though earbuds are picking up in popularity (again), so some of these no-name companies are throwing a $5 set together and charging TOTL prices (like the big name companies do) just to make a sale. I, for one, will not be spending that kind of money on something that no one has ever heard/heard of before. Yes, this is coming from someone who has paid $400 for a set of buds, but those were from a "trusted" name. It WAS still a blind buy for me, but I think you get the point?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #68,027 of 75,806
OK! So, I was able to find them for about $186 (where they are $209 everywhere else on AE) from places like here. I was also able to find a Youtube video on them, and it was actually posted 2 years ago. From what that video was talking about the driver in this model is a very cheap (and common) one, though he also goes on to say that he hasn't actually heard them. I have not seen anywhere that talks about actually hearing them. I was also able to (end up) finding these on 7 different AE stores, and there are no customer reviews or comments on any of them.

I'm thinking that these (being out for over 2 years) must not be that popular, or the people are thinking they are just way overpriced.

Oh, nice detective work.
Seems like I can forget about them, there are probably better stuff out there 🙂

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #68,029 of 75,806
Please see my edit on the OP regarding the other ones you were asking about... :)
I'm with you regarding this 😀 I would not spend too much money on stuff from no-name brands.
But I'm thinking about spending 400$ on some new buds in the coming months, it will be a first with that expensive buds 🤪

Yeah, those I linked to is risky buisness, whether anybody would be crazy enough to try them out.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #68,030 of 75,806
Speaking of paying $400 for an earbud. I broke out the Maria II this last weekend, and I have changed my mind about these (somewhat). While I have always loved how absolutely huge the soundstage is on these, I was never able to listen to them for more than a few minutes because of the massive peak in the 3K region (may also extend down to 1K from what my ears are hearing).

BUT..... Since we decided that the FiiO foams are some of the best and make some of the most marked changes to the sound profile on buds (which still shocks me BTW), I decided to throw on a pair of "bass" foams. All I can say is WOW! They have improved so much that I will be giving these another "week long listen" as if they were brand new. Don't get me wrong, the upper mid region is still present (to my ears), but they are more tolerable than before, and bass has more presence also (which I felt these sorely lacked give their configuration). I guess we'll see how they turn up after I've given them (their second) shot.

If I end up liking them much more than I originally did, it will be a shame that they have indeed been discontinued because I will no longer be able to recommend them to anyone.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #68,032 of 75,806
I'm with you regarding this 😀 I would not spend too much money on stuff from no-name brands.
But I'm thinking about spending 400$ on some new buds in the coming months, it will be a first with that expensive buds 🤪

Yeah, those I linked to is risky buisness, whether anybody would be crazy enough to try them out.
It DOES become hard to discover new things if you don't take a chance sometimes, but with all the "copying" that the industry is doing nowadays (these companies just want to jump on the bandwagon), it is really hard to discover new things without taking the chance that you will end up owning many buds that just never get listened to.

Having said that, I have done some blind buying with TOTL buds, but most were either well established, or come with good reviews of some kind. I will probably estrange many for what I am about to say but I am just being honest here. And I say all of this with the utmost respect to those that DO sell their DIY creations.

I will not purchase these DIY buds that some on here are recommending. It isn't to say that they aren't good or anything like that. But, when I pay TOTL prices, is is normally for the innovative design in the shells, drivers, or both and the aftersales support, and all that comes with buying from a trusted company. Now, that isn't to say that I don't want to support the DIY people because I really do (and I NEVER tell others to not purchase these buds). I (personally) am just not willing to pay upwards of $200 for a (way overused) shell type, in a bud that costs probably less than $20 to build.

Now, I have nothing against supporting a company that is trying to establish itself (AKA small companies), but most of these people aren't a company. They do it out of their house. Having said all of that, if some of these were much cheaper, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try. :) Sorry to all those that I have pi**ed off.

On the other hand, I really love hearing/seeing new DIY projects coming to fruition. I just don't like that they are selling them at a premium price like your Chiconnes, Yincrows, Yinmans, FiiOs, etc....

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #68,033 of 75,806
anyone did try VE Sun ? Does it has widest soundstage? and how it sound ?
While I have not heard them personally, from all that I have read about them (in comparison), they aren't the king or queen of soundstage. I believe that honor still belongs to the Maria II and the Chaconne.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #68,034 of 75,806
While I have not heard them personally, from all that I have read about them (in comparison), they aren't the king or queen of soundstage. I believe that honor still belongs to the Maria II and the Chaconne.
And possibly TGXear Serratus!

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #68,035 of 75,806
the Chaconne is best for watching movie or not ?

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #68,036 of 75,806
the Chaconne is best for watching movie or not ?
I think the Maria II are better for that because they have more subbass, but the Chaconne are also very excellent for that. I will have to break them out and watch a movie (because I am talking from memory here, and haven't watched many movies on any of my earbuds; though I have watched some). I'll get back to you on this one.

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #68,039 of 75,806
Strangely, a lot of TOTL earbuds come with non-detachable cables in this day and age. May be something to do with the centre of gravity on the earbud stem if a 2-pin/MMCX connector is attached to the end.
Because it requires less work to tune the buds. The mmcx connectors were blocking the steam vent, so the easiest and cheapest way was chosen (knot on the cable)

Jan 30, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #68,040 of 75,806
It DOES become hard to discover new things if you don't take a chance sometimes, but with all the "copying" that the industry is doing nowadays (these companies just want to jump on the bandwagon), it is really hard to discover new things without taking the chance that you will end up owning many buds that just never get listened to.

Having said that, I have done some blind buying with TOTL buds, but most were either well established, or come with good reviews of some kind. I will probably estrange many for what I am about to say but I am just being honest here. And I say all of this with the utmost respect to those that DO sell their DIY creations.

I will not purchase these DIY buds that some on here are recommending. It isn't to say that they aren't good or anything like that. But, when I pay TOTL prices, is is normally for the innovative design in the shells, drivers, or both and the aftersales support, and all that comes with buying from a trusted company. Now, that isn't to say that I don't want to support the DIY people because I really do (and I NEVER tell others to not purchase these buds). I (personally) am just not willing to pay upwards of $200 for a (way overused) shell type, in a bud that costs probably less than $20 to build.

Now, I have nothing against supporting a company that is trying to establish itself (AKA small companies), but most of these people aren't a company. They do it out of their house. Having said all of that, if some of these were much cheaper, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try. :) Sorry to all those that I have pi**ed off.

On the other hand, I really love hearing/seeing new DIY projects coming to fruition. I just don't like that they are selling them at a premium price like your Chiconnes, Yincrows, Yinmans, FiiOs, etc....
If the buds market were much bigger it would be easier to buy used buds, now I have to buy new stuff 😆

I don't buy expensive buds if they don't have detachable cable. Cheaper buds I can buy with fixed cable, as long as it has mic 😅 I can buy pricier DIY buds if they have detachable cable and are comfortable. MX500 shells doesn't sit that good in my ears (they are OK but my TO600 are much better). I have never seen a DIY bud that match my criterias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back