Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #65,566 of 75,613
What is this btw? Where can I learn more about it?
This is a "one of a kind" earbud created by my brother from another mother @FranQL.

He actually made me two sets; the FQL Grand finale, and the FQL Blackhole Redux. But he doesn't sell them. :) If you look under "media" on this thread, I just posted some pictures of them a few days ago (if you would like to see them both).

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #65,567 of 75,613
Are you talking about on the connectors for the Chaconne? I have not noticed this on my set (which I listen to quite a bit). If you don't mind me asking, who is the seller? Are they an "authorized" Moondrop seller?

I should have specified. I mean at the end of the nozzle, where the sound comes out. The part that is colored gold when new. And also, though it says that part is brass, it looks similar to the rest of the bud to me.

I got them from Apos.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #65,568 of 75,613
I should have specified. I mean at the end of the nozzle, where the sound comes out. The part that is colored gold when new. And also, though it says that part is bronze, it looks similar to the rest of the bud to me.

I got them from Apos.
Do you have some pictures? I will shoot some pictures and you can compare. :)

Oh, and I got mine directly from Moondrop (Amazon store).

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #65,569 of 75,613
I should have specified. I mean at the end of the nozzle, where the sound comes out. The part that is colored gold when new. And also, though it says that part is bronze, it looks similar to the rest of the bud to me.

I got them from Apos.

I only had the Chaconnes for about a month, but I didn't have a problem with them and my guitarist has owned them for the 4 or 5 months since then and the bronze finish is still intact (I just asked). I sent a text to a fellow earbud aficionado who says he has owned them since a month after release and his bronze finish is untouched as well.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #65,571 of 75,613
Do you have some pictures? I will shoot some pictures and you can compare. :)

Oh, and I got mine directly from Moondrop (Amazon store).

Here's a pic after taking off the foams. You can see a little gold left in the middle, but the rest is silver (not brass) like the rest of the bud. I've only had them since May, and purchased them new.

Attachments

• bud2.jpg
    bud2.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #65,572 of 75,613

I got them from Apos.
I only had the Chaconnes for about a month, but I didn't have a problem with them and my guitarist has owned them for the 4 or 5 months since then and the bronze finish is still intact (I just asked). I sent a text to a fellow earbud aficionado who says he has owned them since a month after release and his bronze finish is untouched as well.
Yep, I have had mine for well over a year now, and not a blemish on them so far. Here are the pics:

20220930_152040.jpg

20220930_152051.jpg

20220930_152128.jpg

20220930_152149.jpg

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #65,573 of 75,613
Here's a pic after taking off the foams. You can see a little gold left in the middle, but the rest is silver (not brass) like the rest of the bud. I've only had them since May, and purchased them new.
WOW! Do you have acid for ear wax? That is NOT normal, no matter what the seller says. You should contact them again (with this picture, and maybe mine as well), and if that get you nowhere, you should contact Moondrop. That is what I would do anyhow.

Edit: And judging by the "green" color, I would say that they put some really cheap metal in place of what is SUPPOSED to be there IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #65,574 of 75,613
WOW! Do you have acid for ear wax? That is NOT normal, no matter what the seller says. You should contact them again (with this picture, and maybe mine as well), and if that get you nowhere, you should contact Moondrop. That is what I would do anyhow.

I did send the pics to Apos and they said Moondrop got back to them and said its not a sign of manufacturer defect. I will contact Moondrop myself.

I understand the gold maybe wearing off, but its weird to me that the bronze underneath isn;t bronze color.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #65,575 of 75,613
I did send the pics to Apos and they said Moondrop got back to them and said its not a sign of manufacturer defect. I will contact Moondrop myself.

I understand the gold maybe wearing off, but its weird to me that the bronze underneath isn;t bronze color.
Unless you wore them in the swimming pool, I wouldn't think they should look like that.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #65,576 of 75,613

Now, also keep in mind, mine have never been wet, or subject to any sort of humidity, so I can't speak to whether this could happen in any sort of moisture situation.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #65,577 of 75,613

It is supposedly gold plated brass - not bronze faceplate. There are copper .-zinc alloys (brasses) with nickel added that are silvery in colour, but those are rather uncommon. And I have no idea why would Moondrop choose that for gold plating and not typical yellowish one... .
It looks like they may have cut down on cost and changed the raw material - there were enormously big deficits of "red" metals in the past past year.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #65,578 of 75,613

F that! Contact Moondrop directly and see what they say. I can't think of any reason why this should be considered normal or acceptable and make sure you mention that Apos said this is all good and that they claim Moondrop signed off on this as well. If that's considered normal and not deffective for Moondrop's TOTL buds then remind me to stay away from Moondrop from now on.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #65,579 of 75,613
It is supposedly gold plated brass - not bronze faceplate. There are copper .-zinc alloys (brasses) with nickel added that are silvery in colour, but those are rather uncommon. And I have no idea why would Moondrop choose that for gold plating and not typical yellowish one... .
It looks like they may have cut down on cost and changed the raw material - there were enormously big deficits of "red" metals in the past past year.
That is a great point! I hadn't considered that they might use replacement metals during the shortages. It still doesn't make it right for what they charge for those IMHO though.
F that! Contact Moondrop directly and see what they say. I can't think of any reason why this should be considered normal or acceptable and make sure you mention that Apos said this is all good and that they claim Moondrop signed off on this as well. If that's considered normal and not deffective for Moondrop's TOTL buds then remind me to stay away from Moondrop from now on.
Preach on brother! :)

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #65,580 of 75,613

Yeah, I meant brass. Edited my post. Frankly I don't care about the look - sounds great. But it might be a problem for a buyer since I'm trying to resell them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back