Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #65,596 of 75,871
Whoa! Even though it's not typicially in my lane, great stuff! Here's an interesting review:

https://progreport.com/charlie-griffiths-tiktaalika-album-review/

Pretty sick, right? It has a bit more of the growling type vocals and stuff than I normally go for, but the music is so insanely intense and the musicianship and technical prowess is beyond amazing. It makes it hard not to like. Everytime I listen to that album, by the end of it I'm always hyped up and ready to rock out for hours which is why I warned about bedtime listening!

Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that stuff before. I only found out about this album because I was reading about a Haken album and the article mentioned that Griffiths was putting out a solo album so I looked it up and gave it a spin.

I'm glad you dug it! I found a band the other day that I have been diggin' quite a bit too. The group is named Sea In The Sky and if I were you I'd start with their album entitled Everything All At Once. And don't worry, this one isn't as intense as the Charlie Griffiths stuff. If you try it, let me know what you think, okay?

a1215763573_10.jpg

Sep 30, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #65,598 of 75,871
Is there anyone in the US that repairs earbuds?

I have a pair of Yinman 600 where one shell separated and the channel cut out. I've had that happen on several pairs of less expensive earbuds and it really upsets me as there's no reason it should occur.

Can you take some pics? If it's just a matter of resoldering a failed connection and glueing the shell back together I'm sure you can find someone to do it, possibly even someone here. Heck, if that's all it is you could do it yourself with a soldering iron and some locktite or epoxy after watching a 5 minute youtube video.

Either way, I'd imagine we can help you figure it out.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #65,599 of 75,871
That's the one! It has very good punchy quality to it. The low end reaches nice and deep and remains snappy and articulate. The mids are linear with no emphasis high or low and they have this nice smooth, but detailed presentation going on. The highs extend pretty well and give your cymbals plenty of splash while avoiding sibilance and maintaining that smoothness carried over from the mids.

Basically they just have a nice balanced character with plenty of energy and character and they don't have any major flaws. You can listen to almost anything on them and it sounds pleasing. For what they cost, therer aren't many buds offering that kind of cohesive tuning and versatility, IME. I find myself reaching for them surprisingly often given how many standout buds I have in my collection.

That one is so cheap. I wonder how they turn a profit. Drivers + cable + shell alone would be more expensive.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #65,600 of 75,871
Is there anyone in the US that repairs earbuds?

I have a pair of Yinman 600 where one shell separated and the channel cut out. I've had that happen on several pairs of less expensive earbuds and it really upsets me as there's no reason it should occur.
If you are in the Bay Area I imagine I could.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #65,601 of 75,871
That one is so cheap. I wonder how they turn a profit. Drivers + cable + shell alone would be more expensive.

My bet is that at least part of the purpose of this pair of buds is to show off the quality of the DIY components they're offering. Buying a pair of these is a cheap way to sample shells, drivers, and cable supplies they offer all at once. I bought the versiob without a cable so I can't speak to it's quality, but after listening to these I ordered several pairs of the shells and 2 more pairs of these drivers because the buds show that both have real potential for making aome fantastic sounding setups.

I could be wrong though, but if I am then NSC Audio has to be happy with the added benefit because I would imagine I'm not the only person who has heard the potential and ordered supplies to see what more in the way of performance can be saueezed out of them.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #65,602 of 75,871
My bet is that at least part of the purpose of this pair of buds is to show off the quality of the DIY components they're offering. Buying a pair of these is a cheap way to sample shells, drivers, and cable supplies they offer all at once. I bought the versiob without a cable so I can't speak to it's quality, but after listening to these I ordered several pairs of the shells and 2 more pairs of these drivers because the buds show that both have real potential for making aome fantastic sounding setups.

I could be wrong though, but if I am then NSC Audio has to be happy with the added benefit because I would imagine I'm not the only person who has heard the potential and ordered supplies to see what more in the way of performance can be saueezed out of them.

I should buy their prebuilt stuffs to try and harvest the components for other DIY projects if I don’t like what they do :thinking:

I still don’t understand how the manufacturers of MX500 drivers survive. Are these leftovers from the last decade? Is there a large market for earbuds somewhere? Are DIYers buying enough to keep the whole industry afloat? Any time I open NCS page, I am amazed by the variety. Hopefully these drivers will be available for a long time to come.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #65,603 of 75,871
Sep 30, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #65,604 of 75,871
I should buy their prebuilt stuffs to try and harvest the components for other DIY projects if I don’t like what they do :thinking:

I still don’t understand how the manufacturers of MX500 drivers survive. Are these leftovers from the last decade? Is there a large market for earbuds somewhere? Are DIYers buying enough to keep the whole industry afloat? Any time I open NCS page, I am amazed by the variety. Hopefully these drivers will be available for a long time to come.

The drivers aren't just for the DIY market. I assume the drivers are also supplying many manufacturers and the stuff sold on the DIY market is obtained from OEMs that supply manufacturers. That's always been my thought anyways.

From talking to some of the folks that supply components for over ear builds I know that's how it works with that stuff.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #65,605 of 75,871
The drivers aren't just for the DIY market. I assume the drivers are also supplying many manufacturers and the stuff sold on the DIY market is obtained from OEMs that supply manufacturers

That means there are some companies making and selling earbuds with 15.4mm drivers with enough volume to incentivise OEMs :thinking:

Wait, I just remember that there are actually new commercial earbuds being sold on Aliexpress :dt880smile:

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #65,606 of 75,871
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #65,608 of 75,871
Not the M2s Pro earbud, but the modular driver that goes with it. As seen from this picture:

Ah it looks like m2 version of the driver module is no longer available. Only the m4... Seems like extracting it might be out of my depth until I get more skilled :frowning2:

Maybe not a great first diy project

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #65,610 of 75,871
Ah it looks like m2 version of the driver module is no longer available. Only the m4... Seems like extracting it might be out of my depth until I get more skilled :frowning2:

Maybe not a great first diy project
You might still be able to find it on AE. But you are probably right about taking the M4 driver from the encasement. While I haven't tried it, it does look a little more in depth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back