Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 27, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #65,371 of 75,563
I was surprised when I stayed at ND for a week just how cool the college music scene was there. It was almost enough to sway me, but even what was left to pay after the partial they offered me was way more than what I had to pay at Cal (which was just room and board, my tuition was covered). Add to that the whole Bay Area music scene and being able to work my way through doing session work and I just couldn't justify it.

I'm so stoked that you're diggin' UM! My DCA Expanse showed up at 8:15 tonight so I haven't had a chance to try their stuff on the FF3s as I had planned, but it's good to know I was right about it being a good fit. I actually have Anchor Drops Redux on the playlist I'm listening to on the Expanse right now.
You could have always done what Rudy did?! Go to St. Mary's (which was much cheaper)... LOL

Yeah the music scene was decent there, but there weren't any decent recording studios (besides garage) unless you went all the way to Indy.

Indy's Music House (which apparently has closed up shop now) is where my band got our first gig (like I mentioned before, was a lifetime ago; something like 30+ years ago). Two of our members were taking lessons there and they put together a (large for us) 200-400+ person concert where all the students would do something in a park nearby. I was so nervous I thought sure everyone would see my legs shaking and make fun of me... ROFL Of course I "whiffed" it for my first gig... LOL We did three of our original songs, and I pretty much choked on all of them (mostly). We had very little practice time together as a band before this event.

There was also some really good local scenes in Indy, and there were some regular bands that played there that even now are remembered by those that got to see them. Such as Schoolboy Crush (their OG CD is going for hundreds of dollars for collectors). They went on to make two more albums IIRC. Their subsequent album(s) were more mature. The drummer Rusty Scutt was a family friend and I met him through his dad that used to fish Lake Michigan with my dad...

Anyhow, not the greatest production, but not terrible for a shoestring budget either.

And they DID get better over the years as heard on this single from 2011(and after getting rid of the OG singer Rance Crane, who wasn't bad, just not the best):

It is simply put a fantastic album. It has pretty much everything going on, and I love it. I couldn't find Anchor Drops Redux to buy digitally (through my normal channels), so I just ordered the CD(s) from Amazon... :) I guess they have like 11 albums. I think I would like to try the heavier one next (the one that your friend that rec'ced them mentioned in one of his posts). Either way, I will be listening to this over and over until I run out of head gear to test them on.... LOL

This is especially good on the FF3 (for instance) because of the amount of slam they have, which plays well with the drumming style seen here (which is also the type of rhythm that just gets my juices flowing, kinda' like old school anthem rock used to, or slower but meaty/heavy metal).

Congrats on your new shiny BTW! :)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #65,372 of 75,563
The internet definitely has a tone issue. For instance “Little brother” comes across as condescending under these circumstances. It would be like me saying “You silly old man, his ignorance was that he thought I didn’t know enough to sell earbuds and exposed his ignorance by voicing it”. The “Tilting at windmills” is what firmly plants it there. I have demonstrated that I know at least enough and have honed my skills many times in this thread. That’s why you PM me for advice on such matters and once in this thread isn’t it? Of course I didn’t know people would pay $600+ for an MX500 earbud. Now it’s got me thinking 🤔 (kidding). I’m happy occasionally chiming in helping others who aren’t in it for the money get better at building buds. Our @RikudouGoku isnt charging enough to make it worth my time and I respect him for that.

Also, I try not to speak for a whole culture. It’s not a thing Americans do (obviously a joke). In all honesty, I’ve had any number of things happen to me in many countries and I haven’t known the Swedes or the Japanese to speak out in ignorance more than any other culture. If anything, I’ve had the opposite experience, but I am chalking this up to a cultural misunderstanding as it’s withing the realm of possibility and he is claiming it to be such in ways that still read underhanded.

maybe you should ask me what that is in a PM? :wink: Just messing with you old man.

I don’t see where it’s been blown out of proportion. In truth, you can just read the graphs and the drivers. You know the shell…. You can speak from a stance of knowing about my skills. I’ve put all the information you need right here to at least start an intelligent conversation freely. That was an option you had and still have. If you try real hard you can probably learn enough to do it. I believe in you.
Well, it wasn't meant to be. It was given as an endearing salutation in hopes of reminding you that we are all brothers and sister here and not your enemies (thus the Don Quixote reference). You are much younger than I so thus the usage of "little"; not everything in life has to be taken as a negative connotation or slight. Yes, I am most likely more than twice your age, so yep I would be an old man to you. No foul there as I am indeed old as dirt! I do readily admit that I am probably "silly" too especially as I am still engaging with you at all about anything at this point as you fail to see the error of your ways (your recent odd and unpleasant behavior). You have become increasingly overly defensive and arrogant which really is getting the better of you... so does incessantly tooting one's own horn in every post. Pride is one thing but damn you are laying it on too thick now. Yes, we have indeed learned a great deal from you. And yes, we do sincerely appreciate your expertise which has been very informative but less and less helpful when given in such a high-handed manner. We totally get it, you are an acoustics genius and have all the books to prove it... have we now all become complete idiots in your eyes? Which would then beg the question why you even waste your time with the likes of us on this thread then? Food for thought.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #65,373 of 75,563
I’ve got to play and record in some of those studios! Berkeley is a very cool place in general and has one of my favorite piano shops anywhere. I’m a sucker for rare and rebuilt pianos when they’re are really well rebuilt. I’m sure you, more than most, understand that phenomenon. I need to head back up there.
Do you play?

Edit: NM, I guess I missed the part where you actually said you "got to play and record" .... Apologies. :)

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #65,374 of 75,563
I'm simple, so I stick with the most basic things... €600 or more for a bud in MX500 shell???? LOL

ah, maybe since I'm ignorant I haven't taken into account the craftsmanship, the ancestral love, the magic, the wonderful mastery, the excellent training, the NASA divers, the artisan drivers (I'd like to see them, to believe it, the ones I've opened which are quite a few let's just say they weren't...how to say special), time (huff, this is important), R&D (laughing again, sorry), materials and sophisticated tools/equipment used), sound of the house, the cable (decisive), 400 hours of burning (fundamental), the name of the bud.... thinking about it, maybe they are even cheap.... a group of purchase?

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #65,376 of 75,563
9CC159CC-EF09-4BA7-A3F0-4F9048BC8D42.gif

Jezz :dt880smile:

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #65,377 of 75,563
I'm simple, so I stick with the most basic things... €600 or more for a bud in MX500 shell???? LOL

ah, maybe since I'm ignorant I haven't taken into account the craftsmanship, the ancestral love, the magic, the wonderful mastery, the excellent training, the NASA divers, the artisan drivers (I'd like to see them, to believe it, the ones I've opened which are quite a few let's just say they weren't...how to say special), time (huff, this is important), R&D (laughing again, sorry), materials and sophisticated tools/equipment used), sound of the house, the cable (decisive), 400 hours of burning (fundamental), the name of the bud.... thinking about it, maybe they are even cheap.... a group of purchase?
If you are ever near Stockholm you are welcome to try the Red Dragon out. Looks can be deceiving. Like the old proverb: "don't judge an earbud by its shell".
But I do not think that anyone who wasn't already a fanboy of a brand would invest so much money...

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #65,378 of 75,563
If you are ever near Stockholm you are welcome to try the Red Dragon out. Looks can be deceiving. Like the old proverb: "don't judge an earbud by its shell".
But I do not think that anyone who wasn't already a fanboy of a brand would invest so much money...
Yes but there is always this (for me):

20220830_113956.jpg

20220830_114205.jpg

20220830_114217.jpg

20220901_090427.jpg

Or:

20220822_091356.jpg

20220815_220213.jpg

20220815_211509.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #65,379 of 75,563

At least Dunu makes their own drivers and have patents to prove it to justify the AUD $1300 for Zen Pro :dt880smile:

To think about it, all of us who make buds are at mercy of faceless manufacturers from somewhere in China who produce these great MX500 drivers. I wonder what drives their investment? Is there a massive market for Mx500 drivers in Asia? I think / assume / guess that new drivers are still being developed. Are DIY market that large to fuel the sector?

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #65,380 of 75,563
Don't worry, it was just a reflection from an ignorant point of view, nothing more. I have also bought expensive buds, nothing happens.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #65,381 of 75,563
Yes but there is always this (for me):

20220830_113956.jpg
20220830_114205.jpg
20220830_114217.jpg
20220901_090427.jpg

Or:

20220822_091356.jpg
20220815_220213.jpg
20220815_211509.jpg

FranQL makes his own earbuds? What happened here? When I last was active about 2 years ago hardly anyone on Head fi were making and selling their own earbuds. I suppose the pandemic did lead to one good thing...

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #65,382 of 75,563
FranQL makes his own earbuds? What happened here? When I last was active about 2 years ago hardly anyone on Head fi were making and selling their own earbuds. I suppose the pandemic did lead to one good thing...
For my ears he makes the best... They are currently at the top of my "favorites" list. They are not for sale though. :)

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #65,383 of 75,563
Don't worry, it was just a reflection from an ignorant point of view, nothing more. I have also bought expensive buds, nothing happens.
Not ignorant at all. The problem can be that something that looks good and professional can be not very good at all (looking at you, Celsus Gramo One and apparently also 7HZ Beatles). While something that looks pedestrian and plain can surprise. That was why I joined here over 12 years ago, to get some guidance and try to avoid "less good" earbuds. Especially if you pay $150+ or nowadays $250+ even a single impression from someone in a place like this can be valuable.

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #65,384 of 75,563
At least Dunu makes their own drivers and have patents to prove it to justify the AUD $1300 for Zen Pro :dt880smile:

To think about it, all of us who make buds are at mercy of faceless manufacturers from somewhere in China who produce these great MX500 drivers. I wonder what drives their investment? Is there a massive market for Mx500 drivers in Asia? I think / assume / guess that new drivers are still being developed. Are DIY market that large to fuel the sector?
I would be curious to see if they make their own driver for the Talos, since everyone seems to be using the (mostly) same 14.xx planar driver these days.

First, and I won't be able to explain all of this (if you didn't already know) in such a short way, but places in China (e.g. Shenzhen) don't have the same patent laws as they do most other places. Someone does the R&D and makes a driver (for instance), and anyone can use it as long as they change SOMETHING about it. This is one of the reasons you see the same (again, mostly) planar driver in all of these recent releases for IEMs (Timeless, S12, Hook-X, etc...) though they all claim "custom". Of course companies are going to take advantage of an "off the shelf" part so they don't have to spend (basically) ANY money on it.

That is one reason you can do a search for something like this and find one JUST like it from hundreds of different manufacturers (but all from China), but with one little... something, different about it.

Apologies if I didn't explain that well... :)

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #65,385 of 75,563
Not ignorant at all. The problem can be that something that looks good and professional can be not very good at all (looking at you, Celsus Gramo One and apparently also 7HZ Beatles). While something that looks pedestrian and plain can surprise. That was why I joined here over 12 years ago, to get some guidance and try to avoid "less good" earbuds. Especially if you pay $150+ or nowadays $250+ even a single impression from someone in a place like this can be valuable.
This thread in particular has been invaluable in my journey in getting good earbuds. I only have a couple of DIY buds thus far. All the rest are store bought, but I am pretty happy with (most) all of them at this point. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back