Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #65,356 of 75,575

How have the Pislos been treatin' you? Still the best thing since sliced bread? 😉 I can't wait to try friend's set in October when I go for a short visit. BTW, have you tried them with any sources aside from the DAC/Dongle they come with? If so how'd it go?

Those new bud's from K's are awfully good looking. Then again, K's has plenty of history making good looking buds. Have you, or anybody else, heard anything about their sound sig and performance?

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #65,357 of 75,575
Odd question, but I ordered one of those lucky bags from Aliexpress and got a Faaeal earbud that seems to have been discontinued as I can't find them anywhere. They're metallic blue with a fabric sheathed cable, non-twisted, does anyone know what model they are?

It cost £3 shipped so I won't be too beat up if they're nothing special.

Edit: it looks like the Snow Lotus 1.0, except the Y-split is metal instead of rubber.

Further Edit:
I've listened to a few songs on these now and they're pretty good. More neutral than my usual preference but even though there's clearly not much bass, it doesn't feel like it's missing. It's handled the electronic music I've been playing surprisingly well, just enough bass for cerain sounds not to sound flat, claps and similar sounds are much more forward (I'm guessing mids? I'm kind of a noob when it comes to describing sound) and quite crisp, good instrument separation and quite a good soundstage.
All-in-all quite a good value purchase that I don't regret at all, even if I'm not sure how much time they'll get in my ears. I have a feeling they'll do well for gaming so I'll give them a test tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #65,358 of 75,575
It most certainly is! And I should have put the Indy thing together from past comments. I was interested in the possible Notre Dame connection because I almost went there instead of UC Berkeley because of how much I liked the area and the school itself so I was curious.
OIC. What made you change your mind and go to UC Berkeley?
Some times it can be as simple as the way different drivers react to various increases in current, power, or amplification. Different DACs have different filters applied by the chips' manufacturers and then by the device manufacturer implementing the chip and sometimes even DSP/post-signal processing. Then of course you can have even more processing done at the firmware and software levels, NOS/OS modes, so on and so forth.

People that insist that all sources sound the same often oversimplify. If you look into it yourself you can see that there are many reasons for sonic variations between sources. Even just visiting the websites of DAC chip and op amp manufacturers will show you that those manufacturers actively develop various technologies included in their hardware in the form of various signal processing techniques and filters that are explicitly meant to provide a specific sound. A good example of this would be AKM's Velvet Sound technology or Muses signal stabilizing envelope filters.

I'm not saying these things make huge differences as the differences cans be quite subtle, but they're noticeable with gear that is sufficiently revealing. I think too many people assume that if they can't hear a difference then the difference doesn't exist. And let's face it, disgruntled customers are often more vocal that happy ones so when someone buys a new expensive DAC combo and doesn't hear the changes they were expecting then they tend to be the people loudly proclaiming the snake oil line.

I also think a big part is played by the fact that hyperbolic descriptions of very subtle differences by reviewers/content creators and even unintentionally put out there by folks on forums and subreddits. People new to the hobby that don't know what to expect read reviews and posts describing all the amazing performance differences between two products which is sometimes just a reviewer's way of making a very small difference sound more exciting and they go into a purchase with unrealistically high expectations.

Another factor I have believe I have observed myself is when people new to the hobby don't understand that a 5% difference is likely a bigger deal to a dedicated audiophile pushing for uncompromising performance than it is to a guy just looking for something better than Beats or even just your average music lover and headphone user. People fail to take differences in perspective into account all the time.

Sorry for the essay. I'm also sure there are tons of other reasons I haven't even begun to contemplate or have left out. I'd also like to note that I don't think everyone can hear the differences whether because of differences in hearing, gear that doesn't reveal those differences, etc so many of the people saying all sources sound the same are likely people whose personal experience tells them that that's true and fail to consider that their personal experience may not be universally applicable.
Also, don't forget about different algorithms for different apps that make the music player itself sound different, even on the same device. This can happen even on bit perfect players. For instance, Neutron does indeed sound different than UAPP, from Hiby, from Mango, from FiiO app, etc... And believe it or not, the DAC in the DAP does indeed influence the sound.

Another example is the programming and features of the app itself, or DSP. A bit perfect app can still have DSP. For instance, most digital files have SOME sort of distortion included in the file. One of the most common is quantization errors. Neutron has a feature that is called "dither" that can add noise to reduce noise (meaning that it puts this noise in a FR that human ears can't hear), while still remaining true to the source of the material. This may seem small, but it is these little things that create the differences in sound you might hear from source to source. There are a TON more things that will create differences in sound per app, per device...:)

And I have to agree with all that you have said (and said well, I might add). The problem is (especially in print/text) it would take a reviewer a WHOLE lot more writing to explain what you just did (and more) every time they are describing the differences they are hearing between sound systems, and etc... for the sake of someone new that doesn't understand that to them big difference is 5% (for instance).

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #65,359 of 75,575
Speaking of DAPs, I got a new one today (for my wife). It is this one. Well, it IS an off brand Chinese maker in that the OS is very generic, the volume button (while looking nice and IS functional) is very loose and screams cheap, though the player itself is all metal w/glass front. It is totally touch screen (which is one thing my wife HAD to have), with buttons also, and it seems really sturdy. I was actually shocked at how fast it is, and how quickly it scanned a 512GB card (17K songs). I can tell you it was under 10 minutes.

The good news is that it plays DSD, flac, all the good stuff, and I have to say it does it really well with the FF3. No, it isn't near as refined as my DX300 or even the DX160 in sound quality, but it does NOT sound wonky at all. I think she will enjoy it (we'll see).

She didn't like the Shanling M0 I bought her at all (I guess it belongs to me now lol). While she liked the size of it overall, the OS is too difficult to navigate easily (like her beloved iPod Nano was). Good news is I get to try some of the budget stuff and see if there are any "gems" out there for roughly $100... :)

Today was a good day - Ice Cube

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #65,360 of 75,575
How have the Pislos been treatin' you? Still the best thing since sliced bread? 😉 I can't wait to try friend's set in October when I go for a short visit. BTW, have you tried them with any sources aside from the DAC/Dongle they come with? If so how'd it go?

Those new bud's from K's are awfully good looking. Then again, K's has plenty of history making good looking buds. Have you, or anybody else, heard anything about their sound sig and performance?
It has been treating me well. Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, I just hadn't the needed time to listen to them properly.

I'm glad you will be able to try the PXVV. They just sound great to my ears. It has that warm tube characteristic sound but still very natural and transparent. It's phenomenal for vocals and for those who listen to a lot of classical and jazz could be a great match. Pislo fine tuned the dongle for the PXVV, so it has great synergy. I also use very often the DTR1+ for more deep and controlled bass. Not tried yet the DX320 and the Mojo.

I just got aware of the new K's earbud today since I received a notification from HiFiGo. They look awesome. Looking forward for further details and sound signature too.

Anyway, did you heard the Simphonio Dragon D3+?

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #65,361 of 75,575
OIC. What made you change your mind and go to UC Berkeley?

They gave me a more inclusive partial scholarship than what ND offered and proximity to recording studios in Oakland and San Francisco where I was much more likely to pick up session work so I wouldn't have to get a "real" job to pay for the remainder of my costs. It worked out perfectly and I'm glad I went to Cal.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #65,362 of 75,575
It has been treating me well. Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, I just hadn't the needed time to listen to them properly.

I'm glad you will be able to try the PXVV. They just sound great to my ears. It has that warm tube characteristic sound but still very natural and transparent. It's phenomenal for vocals and for those who listen to a lot of classical and jazz could be a great match. Pislo fine tuned the dongle for the PXVV, so it has great synergy. I also use very often the DTR1+ for more deep and controlled bass. Not tried yet the DX320 and the Mojo.

I just got aware of the new K's earbud today since I received a notification from HiFiGo. They look awesome. Looking forward for further details and sound signature too.

Anyway, did you heard the Simphonio Dragon D3+?

I'm glad you're still diggin' the PXVVs!

I have the Dragon 3s and will probably grab the 3+ eventually, but I just got some new buds delivered from Cypherus and I've also got a whole new over ear setup so all that combined with my much busier schedule these days has me just looking to enjoy what I've got and put off getting anything new to when I have more time to actually enjoy it.

I saw the same HifiGo email you saw lol!

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #65,363 of 75,575
Little brother you are honestly tilting at windmills here. He meant no offense at all and apologized to you. Where or how was he coming from a point of ignorance? The only ignorance happening here is your unwillingness to accept his clarification and apology. It is clear to everyone else that it was a conversational exchange... a light-handed remark of encouragement and not meant as a slight, especially after he explained himself. As The Joker would say: "way so serious?"

Please reflect for a moment and consider that you might have simply been too defensive... mistook his reply, taking it too literally and in the completely wrong way as intended. @Danneq has been a very respectful and kind-hearted chap in all his posts I have seen over many years I doubt he meant any ill-will or disrespect nor does he have a hidden agenda. His wife is Japanese, he knows the culture well. He was only saying that like Swedes, Japanese do not expect their statements to be spin-doctored and/or nefarious hidden meanings to be found within them (no reading between the lines with them). You surely had to experience that in your time in land of the rising sun, yes? I did/do.

The problem with the internet is that the tone of posts can be easily misconstrued and quickly interpreted as being disrespectful, impolite, condescending, arrogant, elitist, etc. Add in cultural differences, varying mother tongues, different time-zones and times of day, etc. and it truly becomes a recipe for miscommunication and misunderstanding.

Peace.
The internet definitely has a tone issue. For instance “Little brother” comes across as condescending under these circumstances. It would be like me saying “You silly old man, his ignorance was that he thought I didn’t know enough to sell earbuds and exposed his ignorance by voicing it”. The “Tilting at windmills” is what firmly plants it there. I have demonstrated that I know at least enough and have honed my skills many times in this thread. That’s why you PM me for advice on such matters and once in this thread isn’t it? Of course I didn’t know people would pay $600+ for an MX500 earbud. Now it’s got me thinking 🤔 (kidding). I’m happy occasionally chiming in helping others who aren’t in it for the money get better at building buds. Our @RikudouGoku isnt charging enough to make it worth my time and I respect him for that.

Also, I try not to speak for a whole culture. It’s not a thing Americans do (obviously a joke). In all honesty, I’ve had any number of things happen to me in many countries and I haven’t known the Swedes or the Japanese to speak out in ignorance more than any other culture. If anything, I’ve had the opposite experience, but I am chalking this up to a cultural misunderstanding as it’s withing the realm of possibility and he is claiming it to be such in ways that still read underhanded.
Oh, I think you put it in much better words than I did: "Better ingredients, better pizza". I really like that analogy, very fitting.
maybe you should ask me what that is in a PM? :wink: Just messing with you old man.
Yeah, I hate things like this as well. A small general comment being blown up to gigantic proportions like it was a slap to someones face. Since I have not heard any of your earbuds my comment has no relation whatsoever to them. It was just a general comment. You seem intent to misunderstand and become insulted.
I don’t see where it’s been blown out of proportion. In truth, you can just read the graphs and the drivers. You know the shell…. You can speak from a stance of knowing about my skills. I’ve put all the information you need right here to at least start an intelligent conversation freely. That was an option you had and still have. If you try real hard you can probably learn enough to do it. I believe in you.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #65,364 of 75,575
They gave me a more inclusive partial scholarship than what ND offered and proximity to recording studios in Oakland and San Francisco where I was much more likely to pick up session work so I wouldn't have to get a "real" job to pay for the remainder of my costs. It worked out perfectly and I'm glad I went to Cal.
Oh, that is for sure a great reason. While South Bend is a neat(ish) place, there isn't much there. That is why I was so surprised to hear a band such as Umphrey's Mcgee coming out of there.

Which I really like BTW. I bought their newest album from Bandcamp and it is really good also (just plain awedome on the FF3 BTW):

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #65,365 of 75,575
For folks who wanna buy the Smabat M4 or their drivers, maybe hold your horses.

They are having a sale in a few days time, on 2nd October: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063718818578

Capture.PNG

M4 and M4 drivers purportedly 40% off.

I have no horse in this race, haven't bought any Smabat gear since the disappointment of the ST 20 pro, so will be giving this M4 set a miss (but the M4 discussion seems quite hot here, so for those interested!). Currently, am extremely happy with the DIY LCP buds made by @FranQL (thanks once again bro) , using it daily now with the RW2000 sometimes.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #65,366 of 75,575

They are having a sale in a few days time, on 2nd October: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063718818578

I have no horse in this race, haven't bought any Smabat gear since the disappointment of the ST 20 pro, so will be giving this M4 set a miss (but the M4 discussion seems quite hot here, so for those interested!). Currently, am extremely happy with the DIY LCP buds made by @FranQL (thanks once again bro) , using it daily now with the RW2000 sometimes.
Yep. I believe it is every first Tuesday of the month IIRC. Good call sir!

Edit: Wait, they said on FB before it was every first Tuesday of the month. I just realized that the 2nd is on a Sunday... Ineresting.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #65,367 of 75,575

Capture.PNG

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to me. The Ice Pick cracked my dome.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #65,368 of 75,575
Oh, that is for sure a great reason. While South Bend is a neat(ish) place, there isn't much there. That is why I was so surprised to hear a band such as Umphrey's Mcgee coming out of there.

Which I really like BTW. I bought their newest album from Bandcamp and it is really good also (just plain awedome on the FF3 BTW):

I was surprised when I stayed at ND for a week just how cool the college music scene was there. It was almost enough to sway me, but even what was left to pay after the partial they offered me was way more than what I had to pay at Cal (which was just room and board, my tuition was covered). Add to that the whole Bay Area music scene and being able to work my way through doing session work and I just couldn't justify it.

I'm so stoked that you're diggin' UM! My DCA Expanse showed up at 8:15 tonight so I haven't had a chance to try their stuff on the FF3s as I had planned, but it's good to know I was right about it being a good fit. I actually have Anchor Drops Redux on the playlist I'm listening to on the Expanse right now.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #65,369 of 75,575
I was surprised when I stayed at ND for a week just how cool the college music scene was there. It was almost enough to sway me, but even what was left to pay after the partial they offered me was way more than what I had to pay at Cal (which was just room and board, my tuition was covered). Add to that the whole Bay Area music scene and being able to work my way through doing session work and I just couldn't justify it.

I'm so stoked that you're diggin' UM! My DCA Expanse showed up at 8:15 tonight so I haven't had a chance to try their stuff on the FF3s as I had planned, but it's good to know I was right about it being a good fit. I actually have Anchor Drops Redux on the playlist I'm listening to on the Expanse right now.
I’ve got to play and record in some of those studios! Berkeley is a very cool place in general and has one of my favorite piano shops anywhere. I’m a sucker for rare and rebuilt pianos when they’re are really well rebuilt. I’m sure you, more than most, understand that phenomenon. I need to head back up there.

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #65,370 of 75,575
I don’t see where it’s been blown out of proportion. In truth, you can just read the graphs and the drivers. You know the shell…. You can speak from a stance of knowing about my skills. I’ve put all the information you need right here to at least start an intelligent conversation freely. That was an option you had and still have. If you try real hard you can probably learn enough to do it. I believe in you.

I have not followed you at all. In the old days there used to be earbud DIY threads and people were adviced to keep DIY discussions there. Don't know if there still are any such threads, though.
Do people have to read all your comments before addressing you?

Why do I feel like I wound up in this old sketch?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back