Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 13, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #62,806 of 75,619
Okay, so I don't have any full reviews or impressions yet, but one thing I have noticed lately with a few earbuds and IEMs that I have tried is that LCP drivers tend to have a very lush but articulate and snappy character to them that I really enjoy quite a bit. It's just something I have noticed after trying quite a few LCP driven buds/IEMs over the last month or two. Anyone else notice this or am I just a nut?

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #62,808 of 75,619
Okay, so I don't have any full reviews or impressions yet, but one thing I have noticed lately with a few earbuds and IEMs that I have tried is that LCP drivers tend to have a very lush but articulate and snappy character to them that I really enjoy quite a bit. It's just something I have noticed after trying quite a few LCP driven buds/IEMs over the last month or two. Anyone else notice this or am I just a nut?
Nope, not a nut at all... the lowly, mistreated LCP actually can be astoundingly wonderful sounding if tuned correctly and does in fact offer a very unique presentation (again if tuned properly). This is something that our DIY Masters @FranQL @Ronion @RikudouGoku @jeejack @tgx78 @ValSuki @furyossa @irv003 will all quickly attest!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #62,809 of 75,619
I would tend to agree with you. In my (very limited) experience, they do sound more organic compared to Beryllium drivers.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #62,810 of 75,619
Nope, not a nut at all... the lowly, mistreated LCP actually can be astoundingly wonderful sounding if tuned correctly and does in fact offer a very unique presentation (again if tuned properly). This is something that our DIY Masters @FranQL @Ronion @RikudouGoku @jeejack @tgx78 @ValSuki @furyossa @irv003 will all quickly attest!

LCP driver is lowly and mistreated? I thought people talk about the LCP drivers in Moondrop Aria like they are blessing from heaven :dt880smile:

Maybe I'm too influenced by Fiio and Dunu, but I like some shiny Be or Ti driver.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #62,811 of 75,619
That is a common observation, but I don’t think you can use that as evidence for your sanity. :wink:

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #62,812 of 75,619
LCP driver is lowly and mistreated? I thought people talk about the LCP drivers in Moondrop Aria like they are blessing from heaven :dt880smile:

Maybe I'm too influenced by Fiio and Dunu, but I like some shiny Be or Ti driver.
SMABAT has a really nice Ti driver as well. One of my favorites is the 150Ohm.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #62,813 of 75,619

I saw LCP mentioned in marketing for like a month and then all the manufacturers seemed to switch to diamond like carbon (DLC) drivers. Even Moondrop switched to DLC in their Aria SE. Before that I had always seen biocellulose and various metallic coatings advertised and had never seen much on LCP so I think it's reasonable to say that it's semi-overlooked in the grand scheme of things.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #62,814 of 75,619
I saw LCP mentioned in marketing for like a month and then all the manufacturers seemed to switch to diamond like carbon (DLC) drivers. Even Moondrop switched to DLC in their Aria SE. Before that I had always seen biocellulose and various metallic coatings advertised and had never seen much on LCP so I think it's reasonable to say that it's semi-overlooked in the grand scheme of things.

I think they switch because they reuse the driver from KXXS.

Anyhow, now that you mention it, DLC seems every where nowadays. After all the talk and investment in Be drivers, it's kind of funny to see Fiio use DLC rather than Be driver in their flagship FH9 :dt880smile:

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #62,815 of 75,619
Yes, LCP CAN be great. Really any of the "coatings" can be great if used properly (though some a tad bit better than others).
😁 I have both n they both give them same hooks. So I have another pair to use for other buds that need it.
That is a good idea! :)
Yes, and I have a set, made with LCP and made custom for me by @FranQL on its (slow as molasses) way! Woohoooo :clap::clap::clap:

P.S. I simply can't wait! (have I mentioned that)?

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #62,816 of 75,619
SMABAT has a really nice Ti driver as well. One of my favorites is the 150Ohm.
Oh don't start that again, you know you like all their drivers.... LOL :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile:

But seriously, I really like that driver as well.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #62,817 of 75,619
I think they switch because they reuse the driver from KXXS.

Anyhow, now that you mention it, DLC seems every where nowadays. After all the talk and investment in Be drivers, it's kind of funny to see Fiio use DLC rather than Be driver in their flagship FH9 :dt880smile:
I totally agree that they reused a driver they had on hand as a money grab, but I also think they saw a way to capitalize on a market trend that had DLCs growing in popularity while the OG Aria was losing a bit of momentum with the Tin T3+ and Dunu Titan S starting to take some of that sub $100 IEM marketshare back. The T3+ also being an LCP, $10 cheaper, and arguably better built and better tuned (i replaced my Arias with T3+ after 6 months. Can you tell? Lol) exacerbated the situation as it gained some momentum, too. Props to Moondrop for being savvy, spotting the trend, and putting a product out there to capitalize on it, though.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #62,818 of 75,619
Props to Moondrop for being savvy, spotting the trend, and putting a product out there to capitalize on it, though.
Speaking of which (jumping WAY off topic here, sorry), DUNU has now entered the planar IEM wars in case you didn't know... :)

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #62,819 of 75,619
Speaking of which (jumping WAY off topic here, sorry), DUNU has now entered the planar IEM wars in case you didn't know... :)

And they STILL haven't released the SA4 internationally. You know, the one on their development roadmap that they released early this year. Oh well, WAY off topic here.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #62,820 of 75,619
And they STILL haven't released the SA4 internationally. You know, the one on their development roadmap that they released early this year. Oh well, WAY off topic here.
IKR? hehe I had a thought of getting that set. I only have one set of full BA (Audiosense T800), and I wanted to see if there is better out there (though those are terrific) without spending the money for kilobuck ones.

Anyhow, so that we get back on topic...... earbuds! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back