Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 13, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #62,836 of 75,879
I have made a revelation
flat measured fr (using crinacle measurements) sounds good with iems (tested using blon blo-3, and i dont remember this thing having literally no treble extension but no it is not the filters)
i dont have any "good enough" iems though to continue testing my theories.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #62,839 of 75,879
Also experiment with fit... earbuds have their own fitting requirements... not nearly as critical as with IEMs (getting that 'seal') but nonetheless do require a proper fit in their own right as do all head/earphones really. This has been discussed, at great lengths, throughout the history of this thread (here are two examples that you might find helpful regarding "earbud fitting": Post #26,082 and Post #22,897. I, and many others here on this thread, would highly encourage that you to try various foam combinations to see if that improves the experience for you. Finding that perfect earbud is highly dependent on "the fit". Earbuds are prone to fitting issues due to mostly ear size but also anatomical variances between individuals. The use of foams to improve "the fit" can and does change the sound signature... sometimes drastically for better or worse and thus needs to be seriously factored in as accordingly
Following the link to Post #26,082, there was an additional link which pointed to a nifty earbud sizing idea for people that have problems with loose fitting buds. All credits to the original poster.

Earbud size adjust.jpg

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #62,844 of 75,879
@WoodyLuvr do you know of any earbuds that sound like a literal flat-line in terms of their response and not of a high impedance.
LOL! @syazwaned beat me to it! LBBs is super neutral and quite flat for an earbud and plays well with EQ.
im returning them already and they have obvious pinna gain and pretty strong bass rolloff
Sounds like you are super sensitive to high mids and low highs even more than I... maybe you should think about going to the dark side. Shozy BK Stardust is fairly flat as well but leans to the dark/warm side of things and is low impedance.
1660403460253.png

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #62,845 of 75,879
LOL! @syazwaned beat me to it! LBBs is super neutral and quite flat for an earbud and plays well with EQ.

Sounds like you are super sensitive even more than I... maybe you should think about going to the dark side. Shozy BK is fairly flat as well but leans to the dark/warm side of things.
1660403460253.png
Yeah I have eq'd my blon blo3 to a flat line and it sounds the best of anything i have simply with that except for the complete lack of treble extension. Same target applies to koss ksc75 using crinacle's measurements as a basis.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #62,846 of 75,879
Well, there is a problem with the concept itself of flat line...what do you mean by it?
A real flat line would seem extremely unatural as we don't ear each frequency equally loud. (Our ear best ear from about 500hz to 4khz, in the vocal range)
From an accoustic point of view, a perfectly flatline would be terribly honky and would seem purely medium oriented: no lows, no highs...

Most neutral oriented earbuds/IEM/Headphones/Speakers use a compensation curve to seem audibly neutral (curves are different for each type of device: not the same for buds and IEM, for obvious accoustic reasons)
BUT it seems everyone disagrees on the notion of linearity/ neutrality: Diffused Field Curve? (etymotics use a variant of it)? Harlan Curve? Or some propriatary curves (Dan Clarke, Audeze, etc.)? Each of them will pretend to have a kind of flat audible response (maybe not people following Harman curve, which is a statiscally prefered Curve) with its own compensation...but a flatline...i think no one would bother to out this on the market.

I may be mistaken though, no disrespect in my post.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #62,847 of 75,879

Sounds like you are super sensitive to high mids and low highs even more than I... maybe you should think about going to the dark side. Shozy BK Stardust is fairly flat as well but leans to the dark/warm side of things and is low impedance.
1660403460253.png
I'll look into the bk/stardust but at current there's no way I'm buying them lol (money).

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #62,848 of 75,879
For the folks looking for smaller size buds, you can't go wrong with these... a fun cable replacement and they sound great as well.
No special tuning needed, the buds have been tuned well from the original manufacturer. Everything bought from AE.

Search results for "Docomo pk2" in the Earbuds Round-Up thread.

Docomo pk2 14.8mm driver 32Ω
docomo_pk2_parts.jpg

docomo_pk2.jpg

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #62,849 of 75,879
Well, there is a problem with the concept itself of flat line...what do you mean by it?
A real flat line would seem extremely unatural as we don't ear each frequency equally loud. (Our ear best ear from about 500hz to 4khz, in the vocal range)
From an accoustic point of view, a perfectly flatline would be terribly honky and would seem purely medium oriented: no lows, no highs...

Most neutral oriented earbuds/IEM/Headphones/Speakers use a compensation curve to seem audibly neutral (curves are different for each type of device: not the same for buds and IEM, for obvious accoustic reasons)
BUT it seems everyone disagrees on the notion of linearity/ neutrality: Diffused Field Curve? (etymotics use a variant of it)? Harlan Curve? Or some propriatary curves (Dan Clarke, Audeze, etc.)? Each of them will pretend to have a kind of flat audible response (maybe not people following Harman curve, which is a statiscally prefered Curve) with its own compensation...but a flatline...i think no one would bother to out this on the market.

Basically
pinna gain sounds bad to me, that 3khz boost hurts my ears.
I don't mean flat as in each frequency is as loud as the next
unless my ears really are like that which would be freaky but I haven't checked.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #62,850 of 75,879

BRAVO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back