Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 9, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #61,516 of 75,254
Looks like Smabat just made the M4 IEM and Bluetooth modules available for pre-purchase.

They didn't publish any specs for the Bluetooth modules (codecs, chipset, etc.)

IEM will be a full range balanced armature. More pictures of IEM and Bluetooth modules at their site.
1654762577963216.jpg
Very interesting modular design.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #61,517 of 75,254
Does anyone own the Jcally EP05? What’s it sound signature?
I do, It is very good, the original cable is the worst part, but since it is interchangeable, it's not a problem. I would say that it sounds very natural. The bass thump is good, and the highs are crisp. This is however, after I covered 80% of the back ports, since they don't allow enough bass to be built up. so, after that little mod, they are fantastic.

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #61,518 of 75,254
really intimate, forward, full-bodied and romantic vocals
NiceHCK EB2S with full foams may be to your liking.
It's probably my favorite out of the twenty or so buds I've gotten recently. It doesn't have the most bass nor aggressive highs. But it places vocals front and center, both in tuning and soundstage-wise imho, kinda like my hd650s.
However, it is quite position dependent, you may need to play with the fit for a bit before it sounds right. But once I get it in the right place it's secure and I don't need to worry about it, at least for my ears.

I also got the nicehck mx500 with the silver looking cable, and I love those for their wide soundstage and bass, but ya their vocals aren't very forward.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #61,520 of 75,254
hm... i need to re-try eb2s with hiegi huh...
a lot of people seems to like this earbud. It didn't capture my interest much... wondering what I'm missing.

But might also be because I'm spoiled with the customs and DIY earbuds from builders.

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #61,521 of 75,254
hm... i need to re-try eb2s with hiegi huh...
a lot of people seems to like this earbud. It didn't capture my interest much... wondering what I'm missing.

But might also be because I'm spoiled with the customs and DIY earbuds from builders.
Concur, I think some of us are quite spoiled! You are missing a lot!

Not saying that the NiceHCK EB2S is a bad earbud, it's not. It's simply a boring and lack luster one due to a slower driver... at least in comparison to what's out there these days. Again, for the price the EB2S is great and quite suitable for a lot of listening applications... although, I do think it's older brother the ME80 could easily do circles around it.

Speaking of which, I really wished NiceHCK had evolved this model further with another budget version called the ME80s as previously suggested by @RikudouGoku but grander plans were at work here... for those that haven't figured it out already the DQSM Audio PD21 is the evolutionary replacement of: 2017 - NiceHCK EBX (32Ω) 2019 >>> NiceHCK ME80 (34Ω). Just under a different label but clearly made by the same factory. The earlier models were launched at a lower level for testing and marketing viability. Though not quite as well made and tuned as the DQSM Audio PD21 the ME80 was one amazing earbud for the price.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #61,522 of 75,254
ouch... so... avoid smabat. I will try to make mental note of that
Not necessarily. Their older designs were closer to neutral with great bass.
I love the analogy! :)

I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand just yet. Though it DOES sound like their newer buds, from hearing others talk about them (ST20, and ST20Pro), seems boosted over their normal levels, the M2s Pro and ST10S Gold aren't really any more boosted in that region than most other brands out there (from what I hear with my collection). It seems to be a common practice to boost this region on earbuds IME. If you are looking for a pair that isn't boosted in this area at all, you may have a hard time with earbuds (that's not to say they don't exist though).

On the other hand, I could just be so sensitive to a boosted presence region that I think all of them are a bit that way?!
As Samandhi states here. They also make some of the best, if not the absolute best bud drivers

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #61,523 of 75,254
NiceHCK EB2S with full foams may be to your liking.
It's probably my favorite out of the twenty or so buds I've gotten recently. It doesn't have the most bass nor aggressive highs. But it places vocals front and center, both in tuning and soundstage-wise imho, kinda like my hd650s.
However, it is quite position dependent, you may need to play with the fit for a bit before it sounds right. But once I get it in the right place it's secure and I don't need to worry about it, at least for my ears.

Ooh, these sound promising! Definitely ordering a pair when I get paid later this month. Thanks!

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #61,524 of 75,254
Ooh, these sound promising! Definitely ordering a pair when I get paid later this month. Thanks!
They are good sounding buds (to my ears). YMMV! But, like @WoodyLuvr alluded to, they aren't some giant killer buds though. Having said that though, I would buy them again. They are very fun to listen to. :)

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #61,525 of 75,254
They are good sounding buds (to my ears). YMMV! But, like @WoodyLuvr alluded to, they aren't some giant killer buds though. Having said that though, I would buy them again. They are very fun to listen to. :)

Oh yeah, totally missed Woody's comment on it. I'll keep that in mind! I'm of course not expecting a miracle, it is just a 30-euro pair of buds at the end of the day.

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #61,526 of 75,254
Not saying that the NiceHCK EB2S is a bad earbud, it's not. It's simply a boring and lack luster one due to a slower driver... at least in comparison to what's out there these days. Again, for the price the EB2S is great and quite suitable for a lot of listening applications... although, I do think it's older brother the ME80 could easily do circles around it.
yeah this is more or less my take on the EB2S too. It's not bad, but not special.
I listened to it for a few songs, then switch to something else.

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #61,527 of 75,254
How did Newbsound 32x sound compared to Newbsound 32pro?
Very curious too about the 32X.
I own a pair of 32 (fantastic earbuds) and i wonder what's new with this model. @irv003 is a discrete guy who don't communicate a lot about his new creations (maybe on Insta but i don't have an account)

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #61,528 of 75,254
Very curious too about the 32X.
I own a pair of 32 (fantastic earbuds) and i wonder what's new with this model. @irv003 is a discrete guy who don't communicate a lot about his new creations (maybe on Insta but i don't have an account)

Totally agree.

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #61,529 of 75,254
Deep bass you need kube

Big bass (ie mid bass) for sure! They are incredibly addictive!

For deep bass (ie sub-bass) and more detailed bass, ST10s gold's are hard to beat (at least from those in my collection).

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #61,530 of 75,254
Big bass (ie mid bass) for sure! They are incredibly addictive!

For deep bass (ie sub-bass) and more detailed bass, ST10s gold's are hard to beat (at least from those in my collection).

ST20 is at a very high level in terms of subbass, but I can't hear it from stock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back