Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 8, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #61,501 of 75,470
1654600443882270.jpg
"Enjoy the shock of high frequency" isn't what I want :o2smile:

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #61,502 of 75,470
Heh, heh. Maybe it's a clue that Smabat is going for Hi-Res certification with the IEM module?... minimum 40kHz to join the Hi-Res club. No worries you won't even hear it, but your dog will. (Ok, maybe you don't have a dog, but just sayin')

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #61,507 of 75,470
Why were they shipped out? Bad driver?
Nah, I bought them direct from Smabat when they were on sale (a couple weeks ago?) and should be getting them soon. Funny thing is a week after I bought them Smabat removed all buds from their website and only have M4 listed now. Maybe they were clearing inventory or building up some funds for the coming M4 release? So all is good.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #61,508 of 75,470
Nah, I bought them direct from Smabat when they were on sale (a couple weeks ago?) and should be getting them soon. Funny thing is a week after I bought them Smabat removed all buds from their website and only have M4 listed now. Maybe they were clearing inventory or building up some funds for the coming M4 release? So all is good.
OIC! I thought you had issues.... Glad to hear you are getting them soon then! You will have to share your thoughts after you get aquainted with them?!

Jun 9, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #61,509 of 75,470
Perhaps Rose Technics Maria I & II or DQSM Audio Turandot but again they may be too thin as they lean to the aggressive brighter side of things and of course these are way out of your price range... as would be a Blur 266R MX150 aPs Reference Retune or soon coming Blur 266R MX300 aPs Reference Retune which could possibly have Blur's "vocal-focused" tuning applied if requested (similar tuning to the older Blur MX300 美魔女 Beautiful Witch series which was stellar for vocals).

For Euro 50 you might consider @RikudouGoku's RikuBuds Archer 1 or he might have a better suggestion for another model in his line-up.

Awesome, thank you, I'll read up on these! A few names to start with--like these--is great, even if some of them are out of my budget right now I can look at what folks who liked them like, search for potential comparisons, etc.

And speaking of names, boy do I love some of these lol. And here I thought Sony was bad at naming their audio gear.

Jun 9, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #61,510 of 75,470
Which has been the issue with SMABATs tunings. They do bass really well also, but that 2.5kHz spike they like to build in to their house sound will fry an egg. I’m told not all of them have this and the old M2s pro had it to a limited degree. The ST20 pro is nothing short of BRUTAL. I EQed like 15dB out of 2.5kHz. It reminds me of these 2 stray cats in the neighborhood. One is male and the other female. When they get together, it sounds like my ST20 pro.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #61,512 of 75,470
Which has been the issue with SMABATs tunings. They do bass really well also, but that 2.5kHz spike they like to build in to their house sound will fry an egg. I’m told not all of them have this and the old M2s pro had it to a limited degree. The ST20 pro is nothing short of BRUTAL. I EQed like 15dB out of 2.5kHz. It reminds me of these 2 stray cats in the neighborhood. One is male and the other female. When they get together, it sounds like my ST20 pro.
I love the analogy! :)
ouch... so... avoid smabat. I will try to make mental note of that
I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand just yet. Though it DOES sound like their newer buds, from hearing others talk about them (ST20, and ST20Pro), seems boosted over their normal levels, the M2s Pro and ST10S Gold aren't really any more boosted in that region than most other brands out there (from what I hear with my collection). It seems to be a common practice to boost this region on earbuds IME. If you are looking for a pair that isn't boosted in this area at all, you may have a hard time with earbuds (that's not to say they don't exist though).

On the other hand, I could just be so sensitive to a boosted presence region that I think all of them are a bit that way?!

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #61,513 of 75,470
I love the analogy! :)

I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand just yet. Though it DOES sound like their newer buds, from hearing others talk about them (ST20, and ST20Pro), seems boosted over their normal levels, the M2s Pro and ST10S Gold aren't really any more boosted in that region than most other brands out there (from what I hear with my collection). It seems to be a common practice to boost this region on earbuds IME. If you are looking for a pair that isn't boosted in this area at all, you may have a hard time with earbuds (that's not to say they don't exist though).

On the other hand, I could just be so sensitive to a boosted presence region that I think all of them are a bit that way?!

I'm fairly sensitive to that region as well. I've been listening to the ST10S Gold's quite a bit recently, and I love them. Occasionally a track might come along that doesn't work well for me through the Gold's, but there's no way I'm going to stop listening to them - I just skip the track (those songs are typically not my cup of tea anyway).

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #61,514 of 75,470
Looks like Smabat just made the M4 IEM and Bluetooth modules available for pre-purchase.

They didn't publish any specs for the Bluetooth modules (codecs, chipset, etc.)

IEM will be a full range balanced armature. More pictures of IEM and Bluetooth modules at their site.
1654762577963216.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back