Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 7, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #60,481 of 75,472
Have any smaller-eared people tried the Linkbuds? Really curious about them but the only couple of sellers I could see (I'm in Canada) don't take returns on such things.

The only buds I can wear for any amount of time are smaller ones like the Monk Lite, Qian39 or Smabat M1 Pro (MX500-type shells and the Apple side-ported type ones are a no go). I also can't do on-ear headphones which is probably also a bad indication for how the Linkbuds fit and hold. (I can't do Koss Portapros but can use KSC75 all day).

Cheers
I've heard that the drivers are actually smaller than something like a Monk Lite or PK shell, though I haven't seen any measurements of what the actual diameter of the actual donut faceplate is.

Mar 7, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #60,482 of 75,472
Thanks.

Hmm not looking good... a small-eared review here:

Removing the LinkBuds after wearing them makes me physically wince. My ears ache as much as my heart – but I can’t really blame Sony for the fact that my uniquely small ears can’t handle the smallest earbuds it’s ever made.

might be a more unique situation though.

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #60,483 of 75,472
I've heard that the drivers are actually smaller than something like a Monk Lite or PK shell, though I haven't seen any measurements of what the actual diameter of the actual donut faceplate is.
Sony_LinkBuds_wf-l900.jpg

Removing the LinkBuds after wearing them makes me physically wince. My ears ache as much as my heart – but I can’t really blame Sony for the fact that my uniquely small ears can’t handle the smallest earbuds it’s ever made.

I think if you're used to wearing flat head earbuds, then your ears are conditioned to having something touching that part of your ear, but YMMV.

Mar 7, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #60,485 of 75,472
Mar 7, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #60,486 of 75,472
Thanks.

I have small to medium ears, and they used to make my ears sore also (though I wear earbuds all the time). Not the kind of sore that you feel until you go to move them or take them out. The remedy I came up with (for now) works great, and there is no more soreness for me at all with these:

20220222_232611.jpg

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #60,492 of 75,472
I have small to medium ears, and they used to make my ears sore also (though I wear earbuds all the time). Not the kind of sore that you feel until you go to move them or take them out. The remedy I came up with (for now) works great, and there is no more soreness for me at all with these:

20220222_232611.jpg
How has that affected the sound for you?

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #60,493 of 75,472
Remembering OP had dedicated this thread to Tom I happen to have brought to work today my small but priceless collection of buds he sent me a couple years back, behold the Hungry Panda Dream, Chestnuts and Rasta cabled Ericsson Bass Reflex'ers in their dedicated Nanuk case. Tom had a great ear and deft hand might I say. I enjoyed all three, really love wearing them while reading in quite environments :beerchug:

Nanuk Fulll-O-Pandas.jpg

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #60,494 of 75,472
How has that affected the sound for you?
They might make them a bit warmer, but it is hard to say for sure because they were already a bit warm to my tastes in stock sound. I have used the EQ app on these from day one (Clear Bass up to +4, and the two right most sliders up 3/4 of the way). The great thing about the EQ (like a lot of TWS that have a dedicated app) is that whatever EQ you give it, is stored in memory and even if you use them on a different device without the app installed at all, it will still have this EQ. I don't really think of it as EQ, more like re-tuning them to your tastes (or EQing the onboard DAC directly).

I'm actually STILL in shock that something with only SBC, and AAC can sound so good (comparatively). I would have never pulled the trigger if they didn't have the features I was looking for (permanent hear-through mode). In hindsight, I would have missed out on some truly good sound for TWS IMHO.

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #60,495 of 75,472
They might make them a bit warmer, but it is hard to say for sure because they were already a bit warm to my tastes in stock sound. I have used the EQ app on these from day one (Clear Bass up to +4, and the two right most sliders up 3/4 of the way). The great thing about the EQ (like a lot of TWS that have a dedicated app) is that whatever EQ you give it, is stored in memory and even if you use them on a different device without the app installed at all, it will still have this EQ. I don't really think of it as EQ, more like re-tuning them to your tastes (or EQing the onboard DAC directly).

I'm actually STILL in shock that something with only SBC, and AAC can sound so good (comparatively). I would have never pulled the trigger if they didn't have the features I was looking for (permanent hear-through mode). In hindsight, I would have missed out on some truly good sound for TWS IMHO.
Fortunately for me fit has been good with no pain. I mean I feel they are in my ears with a little pressure where they come to rest, but nothing else. I played around with the EQ, but keep going back to EQ Off. The stock sound is working for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back