Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 16, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #58,126 of 75,272
I have L and P W2, it can drive the Zen. I'm not sure how much you would like them though since to many, they are considered "dark". Especially considering how your currently owned Blur and EM5 are "bright"

Interesting they are considered dark - EM5 is warm compared to Blur, but not overly warm as such - just by comparison, certainly a smoother listen. I'd say it sits between my mx150 and pk32 in terms of early impressions.

I see you have Shozy BK too, what are your thoughts vs Zen? Keen to try another brand now!

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #58,127 of 75,272
Oct 16, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #58,128 of 75,272
Interesting they are considered dark - EM5 is warm compared to Blur, but not overly warm as such - just by comparison, certainly a smoother listen. I'd say it sits between my mx150 and pk32 in terms of early impressions.

I see you have Shozy BK too, what are your thoughts vs Zen? Keen to try another brand now!
I'd recommend the BK then based on what you have unless you just want to explore other earbud signatures. I personally use Zen 2 foamless so I don't find it "dark" It is a warm sounding earbud though. The BK I would say is a smooth neutral sounding bud. Its an "OG" for PK style buds so its a must for an earbud collection imo. Theres a 4.4 version as well.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #58,129 of 75,272
I note though that the VE Zen is 320 ohms - would the likes of the L&P W2 or Sony NW-WM1A be able to drive them?
I have L and P W2, it can drive the Zen.
Concur; they are not difficult to drive as they have a high sensitivity of 108dB/mW. It only requires <1V @ <2.25 mA (<1.6 mW) to reach 110dB SPL. I really didn't notice much scaling (lower bass improvement) once I reached 1V or higher. This is due to Lee always seeking drivers and creating earbuds that are mobile audiophile friendly. I don't think I have heard a single VE earbud that didn't play well out of a mobile phone or DAP to include the Dice. Of course some of these higher models do sound better when powered but not remarkably so.

1634443639121.png

@ 1Vrms
1634443864282.png

I'd recommend the BK then based on what you have unless you just want to explore other earbud signatures. I personally use Zen 2 foamless so I don't find it "dark" It is a warm sounding earbud though. The BK I would say is a smooth neutral sounding bud. Its an "OG" for PK style buds so its a must for an earbud collection imo. Theres a 4.4 version as well.
Yes, this is a very nice earbud and has been highly recommended for years now. If I hadn't fallen into the PureSounds, Ksearphones, and Blur earphones rabbit holes I would still be sitting on a pair. I was late in the game acquiring these not securing a pair until 2020 but if I recall correctly I replaced them soon after with much newer earbud tech when I got my Ks Bell-Ti 120 and a pair of Turandots which although a completely different signature was a slight step up in overall "liveliness" with that magical "sparkle" but without the sibilance that I detest and am very sensitive to.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #58,130 of 75,272
Today I decided to print my long-designed and doped shells for 2pin connectors and this is what happened:
IMG_20211017_171302_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg

IMG_20211017_171319_GC6.1_gamma1.8.jpg

There is one expansion slot in the shell, which is enough for an acoustic chamber and bass. The camera was reduced because there was a lot of bass and because of it, the mid-highs turned into a mess, and the comfort of landing improved significantly (and outwardly sympathetic).

You can download the file for printing here:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/nQAU/Nvg8jv1Xs

PS should be printed on the outside of the shell (leg). Shell sits down firmly in the speaker (but it depends on the plastic / printer, although there shouldn't be any problems). For damping, it is necessary to use a horseshoe foam rubber and glue it to the inside of the shell (in fact, as with a regular mx500 shell). The 2pin plug sits fine, but for durability it is advisable to put it on superglue. The designation (+) and (-) of the connector can be thought of and done as you want, for example, on the minus, a recess is made on the 2pin itself with a soldering iron.

I think that this project can be called finished

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #58,131 of 75,272
I posted my thoughts on the SoundPEATS TrueAir2 https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/so...2-qualcomm-qcc3040.24797/reviews#review-27035

Overall these are great for $30, if I had to guess they're probably A= in tuning and B+ in technicalities, something around there. If they die on me I'll probably check out the Fiil CC2, till then I'll be using them as my daily buds.
I've got a pair of these and rather like them as well. Good for something cheap to throw on, and relatively small in terms of ear pieces and case. I grab these when I run out to go shopping or have stuff to do and want to listen to audiobooks. SQ is quite good in terms of pricing, and it's got surprisingly good soundstage for a ported design compared to other ported designs.

Only issue for me is comfort. They do hook into my ears well (enough I can do pushups), but for some reason the case within my ear feels a bit too thick, and the angle of the port is a bit too much--compared to Apple Earpods. I sort of solved this by throwing on medium-density donut foams which makes them squeeze into the case a bit, but improve long-wear comfort.

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #58,132 of 75,272
I recently received a couple of R4YS, and I wonder: any brighter earbud (bass is ok, but I am missing a lot of treble) and with a smallest capsule (it bothers me a bit in my ears, which IEMs do not do)?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #58,138 of 75,272
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #58,139 of 75,272
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #58,140 of 75,272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back