Soundpeats TrueAir2 Wireless Earbuds Bluetooth V5.2 Qualcomm QCC3040

regancipher

100+ Head-Fier
The number one budget stem-based semi-in-ear by a long way
Pros: Audio quality, mic quality, fit, case, ergonomics, connectivity
Cons: Touch controls in an awkward place
Review.png

How I review: (See Previous Reviews)

Model
: Soundpeats TrueAir2
Price: £29.99 (Currently £24.99 with voucher)
Vendor: Amazon UK

• Bluetooth Version: Bluetooth 5.2
  • Audio Decode: ATPX, SBC
  • Bluetooth Profile: AVRCP/HFP/HSP/A2DP
  • Bluetooth Chipset: Qualcomm QCC3040
  • Maximum Working Range: 33feet/10m(no obstacle)
  • Earbud Dimension(L*W*H): 37.8*17.70*17.20mm

1 x Type-C USB charging cables
1 x User manual, quick guide, warranty card, €20 off VIP card

Real Life Experience

The Unboxing - 7/10

The box is almost identical to the Sonic, which I reviewed here. It advertises the 25 hour battery and QCC3040 chipset. No mention of aptx-adaptive.

File_000.jpg

I bought both the black and white, and each has their own colour - a nice touch.

IMG_2020-12-03-20-22-29-938.jpg

Oh dear Soundpeats. At least it isn't a 'Amazon voucher for a 5 star review' ahem Taotronics, MPow! The unboxing is more premium than Soundpeats pre-H1 offerings. The QR takes you through to their various digital marketing platforms. The quick guide is a little hard to read, but straightforward enough.

The Case - 7.5/10

The case is becoming seemingly more and more important as earbuds have evolved. I find myself moving the case around in my palms and scrutinizing stuff like the hinge strength and portability in far more detail than previously. I think it comes down to trying to find faults as earbuds have improved dramatically in the last 12 months.

IMG_2020-12-03-16-58-02-798.jpg

The Soundpeats TrueAir2 case is really nice. It's very portable - tiny in dimensions, and weighs less than an ounce. The finish is a little sloppy and scratches emerge fairly quickly, but this really isn't an issue.

PXL_20210114_194218662.jpg

At 34.5g, this is comfortably the lightest case I have tested yet - and a second case came in at 33.5g.

Comparisons:

SoundPeats TrueAir 2 - 34g average
1More Comfobuds - 36g average
QCY T10 - 36g average
FIIL CC2 - 42g average
TaoTronics SoundLiberty 80 - 47g average
Samsung Galaxy Buds Live - 52g average

IMG_2020-12-03-16-58-24-020.jpg

Inside, the buds site facing the base, and snap in really nicely. I much prefer this design to the cigarette box approach that TaoTronics, Apple and Boya use. As I demonstrated in reviews of the FIIL CC2 and TaoTronics 95, that style can present issues with getting the buds in and out of the case. No such problem here.

IMG_2020-12-03-16-53-22-487.jpg

The dimensions - 52 x 52 x 21, make it one of the most pocket-friendly cases there is. Whilst the Buds Live case is a similar size, it is substantially heavier, and the TaoTronics is a fingerprint magnet that suffers with the usb-c charge connector position making them awkward to leave charging.

PXL_20210210_145308044.jpg

It stacks up well against other peers too. The FIIL CC2 is beautifully finished, but its open style leaves it prone to picking up pocket or handbag debris which can get in the way of the charging connectors. The TT-BH80 case is probably my favourite of the lot, adding a single charge light to the front - and the absence of this is a bit disappointing - on the TrueAir 2 the light is at the side next to the charge connector - logical, but not generally in your vision when you're charging them.

IMG_2020-12-03-16-00-42-260.jpg

Dimensions are similar to the Samsung Galaxy Buds Live, and there's a hint of similarity in the design. Inside the red light denotes they need charging. This turns to white when they are charged - again, it could be better here - the Buds Live and 1More Comfobuds have a green, orange, red scheme that works really well. You have to kinda guess with the TA2.

IMG_2020-12-03-16-58-07-476.jpg

On my white buds they were shipped in Single Mode. To clear this, you place them in the case open and hold down the Multi-function button for around 10 seconds. The lights will flash red then white twice to denote that it has cleared, and you're good to go again.

The Ergonomics - 9/10

The Soundpeats Sonic ergonomics let it down for me, and it was a similar story with the TrueEngine3SE. It was the only thing wrong with an otherwise flawless pair of earbuds. No such misfortune here - the TA2 are sensational!

IMG_2020-12-03-16-02-06-080.jpg

They sit really nicely in the ear and are not too long to be obtrusive.

Screenshot 2020-12-03 211446.jpg

ACTION SHOT! This is a still shot from a video on my instagram (@regancipher) showing the white model staying securely in my ears despite some serious shaking.

Screenshot 2020-12-03 211701.jpg

I made it almost 90 degrees and still the earbuds stayed in!

How do they do it? Well, for a start, they've gone against the grain with a matching matte finish to the earbuds as well as the case. This gives them a modicum of extra resistance, and boy does it make a difference.

IMG_2020-12-03-16-54-53-487.jpg

The contoured shape and matte finish is really evident here compared with the Taotronics. You can see the nib is evidently more refined, and the edges chamfered. The TT-95 by comparison is sharp and abrasive, making it uncomfortable compared to the Soundpeats.

IMG_2020-12-03-16-54-13-399.jpg

The TA2 is on the left and the TT-95 on the right - you can see that the base is more rounded, the stem shorter, and whilst the deeper chin at the top of the stem makes the TaoTronics marginally more accessible, it also makes it rather loose for those with shallow concha's. They get the weight balance absolutely SPOT ON! There's no tipping due to a heavy main section - the exact opposite of the Soundpeats Sonic!

IMG_2020-12-03-16-00-29-364.jpg

The finish isn't just good in terms of fit, it looks great as well. Aside from the FIIL CC and Boltune BT-BH024, it's one of the best looking stem-based buds.

PXL_20210210_145157369.jpg

Against its peers it has the shortest stem at just 36mm. This makes it one of the less obvious earbuds out there, and no doubt assists with its stability. At 4g per bud, it is also lightweight, but not as light as the 1More. Nevertheless, again, it helps keep them stable.

PXL_20210114_194228492.jpg

Like many such buds, they are unfortunately only IPX4. They will survive a dash from the station in the rain, but don't take them in the shower.

The only negative is they can be awkward to adjust without initiating the touch controls.

Audio Quality - 10/10 (for the price paid), 8/10 (raw score)

I thought the Sonic were good...the True Air 2 are AMAZING!!!!

Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz and Beautiful by James Blunt both show off the highly impressive frequency response and expansive sound stage. All of Me by John Legend shows how well vocals are represented - baritone, falsetto, counter tenor all sound majestic. Instrument separation is tougher with female voices - mezzo-soprano's like Leona Lewis see the mids recess a tad. But I'm splitting heirs here, if this is all I have to complain about then that speaks volumes.

While the Sonic were fatiguing, the TA2 are nothing short of joyful. The 14.2mm drivers are no doubt a help, but it goes beyond this - many earbuds at this price point have the same driver size and sound awful. SoundPeats get it bang on with the tuning of the TrueAir2 - even the soundstage, for buds of this type and price, is impressively airy.

Call Quality - Indoors - 8/10, Outdoors - 7/10

Not bad at all. On cellular they are clear, very good indoors, can suffer a little with echo in enclosed spaces as you would expect, but I had Catherine O'Hara wailing in the background on Schitt's Creek and it completely muted her on my call.

I then took the earbuds outside. The receiver didn't even hear some of the cars going past. Eventually some noises did inevitably filter through, and your voice is elevated and thins out a bit. It also dips from time to time, but is still distinguishable.

It was a similar story on Zoom calls, except my voice sounded even more natural.

Overall, really quite incredible for the money.

Connectivity, Controls and Other Features - 7/10

Connectivity is, like the Sonic, absolutely rock solid. Distance was marginally shorter than the Sonic and on par with my SGBL.

Controls are fine. Play/Pause and Answering calls are predictably a double tap. Volume up and down is a single tap. Hold the buttons down for skipping tracks back and forth and rejecting calls. Triple tap for siri/hey google.

This is uniform with the Sonic and seems to be their new system - and it's good.

The problem is it's a bit too sensitive. If I try to adjust the buds I will inevitably change track. Not much they can do about it, but app support to turn them on or off would solve the problem. For £24.99 I feel like an idiot for suggesting it, but these buds could sell for double easily and I would still feel like they were a bargain.

Single mode is possible, but I don't generally use it so I'm not sure how.

The Sonic feature aptx-adaptive, and the BT5.2 Qualcomm QCC3040 chip is also present in the TA2. We only get aptX on the TA2, but the chip I would imagine could allow for software enhancements in the future. Not that it really needs it - latency is so low - even YouTube music is almost lip-synched.

Voice prompts are quieter than the Sonic, and equally clear.

Battery Life - 8.5/10

Advertised at 25 hours total, my experience was between 3 and a half and 4 and a half hours from a single charge. This is far better in real-world tests than the 1More Comfobuds and Taotronics SoundLiberty 80, which barely gave me 2 and a half hours.

The case adds an additional 3 charges. Perfectly adequate for this form factor.

Final Comments

Sending back the Soundpeats Sonic was kinda disappointing for me because the sound signature was amazing. I was prepping my email to Soundpeats to plead with them to improve the fit - little did I know they already had a fantastic product ready and waiting!

At £24.99 these earbuds are daylight robbery. At £40 they would be a good deal. At £70 you would be hard pushed to criticise them - they're the best semi-in-ears aside from the Samsung Galaxy Buds Live - and some may even consider them better. They are unequivocally better than the Apple Airpods 2nd Gen. In fact, they are the best sub £50 earbuds I've tested this year, the best sub £25 buds I've ever tested, and in my top 3 overall for 2020.

Well done Soundpeats!

Last edited:
Reactions: Alonzo2801
R
Ringwall
I think these buds are amazing, but as every persons ears are different, I found them uncomfortable after about an hour. Meanwhile, I can wear the bose style wingtip in-ear buds for days - so I've just ordered the Sonics to compare the fit. Otherwise, these are superb, but I need them for an online degree, and some lectures are several hours. I'll post how the sonics feel when they arrive.
Reactions: pitsel