Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 11, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #56,056 of 75,148
There are multiple ways to do this, but the easiest way to trick your LG into going into quad DAC mode with lower impedance phones is: HERE

Ah, nice. I do a similar trick with the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, by putting a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to make it output at max 2V output all the time.

Only high impedance model (> 50ohm) will activate LG QuadDAC option

Ah ok thanks for the info, sorry have never used any LG phones before for music purposes. Heard they have a nice DAC inside, but I also heard they are winding down their phone DAC production, quite a pity.

How does the sound quality of these LG phone DACs compare with some budget DAPs or dongles?

Jul 11, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #56,057 of 75,148
Ah ok thanks for the info, sorry have never used any LG phones before for music purposes. Heard they have a nice DAC inside, but I also heard they are winding down their phone DAC production, quite a pity.

How does the sound quality of these LG phone DACs compare with some budget
Some info about LG Quad DAC, and bad news

Jul 11, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #56,058 of 75,148
How does the sound quality of these LG phone DACs compare with some budget DAPs or dongles?
I would say they are comparable to something like a budget DAP (remember you are still at the mercy of the components of the phone, the DAC is only part of it).

Ah, nice. I do a similar trick with the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, by putting a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter to make it output at max 2V output all the time.
For the LG I would actually only recommend the passive method to put it into "aux mode" because the impedance adaptor actually makes your buds like a 200ohms setup (or whatever the adaptor is) and will change the FR curve (possibly for the worse). Though this could be a bit of a mod to try (albeit blind.... or would it be deaf?:)).

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #56,060 of 75,148
Can’t believe that the best audio oriented phone is being laid to rest. RIP ⚰️💔
Seems like just when something gets good (or right), it goes away. Look at the Samsung Note 4 for instance?! It had removeable battery (but was still water proof), micro-SD card slot, IR blaster, headphone jack, etc... Fast forward to today, most of those things are gone (or you have to pay extra to have it) and yet the darned things cost much more. But I digress!

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #56,061 of 75,148
I appreciate all the replies!
There are multiple ways to do this, but the easiest way to trick your LG into going into quad DAC mode with lower impedance phones is: HERE

I've heard of that trick - but I'm hoping to keep my everyday set up as minimal as possible, and focus on 50+ohm buds that won't require an extra dongle.
cheers though
I will do a direct comparison of FAAEAL Rosemary and VE Zen LL.
I enjoy both of them...

looking forward to it!

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #56,062 of 75,148
Can’t believe that the best audio oriented phone is being laid to rest. RIP ⚰️💔

Seems like just when something gets good (or right), it goes away. Look at the Samsung Note 4 for instance?! It had removeable battery (but was still water proof), micro-SD card slot, IR blaster, headphone jack, etc... Fast forward to today, most of those things are gone (or you have to pay extra to have it) and yet the darned things cost much more. But I digress!
They struggle a lot several previous years with innovations. Audio was not a problem here.
They can now focus on making DAP devices, but we will hardly see anything like that. :wink:

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #56,063 of 75,148
I already made a post about the ST10S Black Gold versus stock M2S Pro yesterday: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3735#post-16448938 --> written in the last paragraph. They are sidegrades actually, so the M2S Pro isn't too far away from the ST10S Black Gold, and if you like the stock M2S Pro, perhaps you won't even need the ST10S Black Gold driver.

Don't have the Black Gold driver to put in the M2S Pro, but I'll try to buy one at the next sale.

Is there any particular reason why you want something > 50 ohm?

Anyways the M2S Pro in stock form is neutralish with a subbass boost, it does have a bit of a boosted upper mids area, I personally am not bothered by it, especially with full foams on, but perhaps some sensitive to that area may.

The Yincrow RW-2000 is smoother in the upper mids than the M2S Pro, but it has less subbass and is also much more expensive. Both it and the M2S Pro have really good technical chops for a earbud.

The FAAEAL Rosemary is an L shaped bassy and warm set, zero sibilance but treble is dark, so there are some loss of microdetails and clarity. Also is 150 ohms so needs amping, sounds very meh from lower powered sources. I haven't tried the LG G7, so not sure if it can juice the Rosemary adequately.

@RikudouGoku 's favourite Yincrow X6 must also be mentioned, if not lightning will strike! Great tonality and timbre, think of the BLON BL-03, but in IEM form. Not the best technicalities, upper mids and treble are relaxed.
Thanks a lot! Do you also have chances to compare with st10s silver version as well?

Jul 11, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #56,064 of 75,148
Jul 11, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #56,066 of 75,148
I think i'm gonna go with sfrsfr's suggestion and buy the Zen LL.

I'm a little confused by the cable options though... if I'm going to exclusively drive it with the LG G7 should I go for the 3.5 TRRS or 3.5 SE? Standard or SQL?

You should choose 3.5SE (single-ended), the TRRS option is for a balanced cable.

As for standard or SLQ, it's your choice but @Serge Bernamej has the SLQ version and he says it is his favorite earbud. Not sure if anyone has both to compare.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #56,067 of 75,148
I think i'm gonna go with sfrsfr's suggestion and buy the Zen LL.

I'm a little confused by the cable options though... if I'm going to exclusively drive it with the LG G7 should I go for the 3.5 TRRS or 3.5 SE? Standard or SQL?
The comfort and tuning makes the Zen LL a great choice for long listening sessions.
I find the cable of standard version to be of good quality though a little bit stiffer. I don't think the more expensive cable would change their sound noticeably.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #56,068 of 75,148
The comfort and tuning makes the Zen LL a great choice for long listening sessions.
I find the cable of standard version to be of good quality though a little bit stiffer. I don't think the more expensive cable would change their sound noticeably.

Looking forward to your Rosemary vs Zen LL comparison. The comfort aspect of the Zen really appeals to me.

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #56,070 of 75,148
How are distracting are the microphonics on the standard cable? I'm looking for something I can wear at work, doing woodworking stuff all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back