Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 10, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #56,011 of 75,272
Oh, and I forgot to add: for me these shark fins have made that sub bass boost impressive and tonight I actually made a curve to reduce it 10db under 20Hz just to clean it up under extreme circumstances. I listen to a wide range of music and even though I love classical music and play classical piano, I’m also an aficionado of acoustic Blues and play guitar. I even enjoy Okinawa Folk music and play the Sanshin…. Not necessarily well however lol. Just saying we are definitely into IEM territory as far as stability and sound immersion is concerned but with the soundfield and tonality advantages of ear buds. I’ve never heard IEMs that cost this little that compare in any respect. Obviously I haven’t heard them all or even most, but these are definitely sweet and I want to do a shootout with them and my FDX1 which are generally considered a bargain at $250or perhaps the Moondrop Aria. I can tell you already that these are far more useful in my life and the fact that I’m considering this says something about them.

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #56,012 of 75,272
Just a quick comparison.
Wife (driver) will behave differently in other home (shell) with a new husband (vent system). If that husband is richer (complex vent sys.) they will probably have a better time (performance of the driver will be better), but wife will be the same (driver SQ will not change) :wink:
Brother, you come up with the best statements! Love it—that very relatable.

I should say that I am hoping for a subjective comparison with the partners in question. Just too see the degree of the disparity.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #56,013 of 75,272
Oh, and I forgot to add: for me these shark fins have made that sub bass boost impressive and tonight I actually made a curve to reduce it 10db under 20Hz just to clean it up under extreme circumstances. I listen to a wide range of music and even though I love classical music and play classical piano, I’m also an aficionado of acoustic Blues and play guitar. I even enjoy Okinawa Folk music and play the Sanshin…. Not necessarily well however lol. Just saying we are definitely into IEM territory as far as stability and sound immersion is concerned but with the soundfield and tonality advantages of ear buds. I’ve never heard IEMs that cost this little that compare in any respect. Obviously I haven’t heard them all or even most, but these are definitely sweet and I want to do a shootout with them and my FDX1 which are generally considered a bargain at $250or perhaps the Moondrop Aria. I can tell you already that these are far more useful in my life and the fact that I’m considering this says something about them.
Can you make some shots (front and side view) of the shell with shark fin?

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #56,014 of 75,272

Attachments

• 418F7F95-7963-44A0-9850-AA57CD7ECEB7.jpeg
    418F7F95-7963-44A0-9850-AA57CD7ECEB7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 10, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #56,016 of 75,272
Yup Nicely done.
Now you can go and play frisbee with your dog, but just don't let the dog throw the frisbee :wink:

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #56,017 of 75,272
He always complains that he has to carry it back to me when he would rather just throw it: problem is, he doesn’t have thumbs. :frowning2:

this is Watson with his favorite girlfriend Gracie

Attachments

• 2A6C3AD7-0C9F-419D-87B2-9DDFBBB6CCE7.jpeg
    2A6C3AD7-0C9F-419D-87B2-9DDFBBB6CCE7.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 10, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #56,018 of 75,272
Also is the shell for SMABAT M2S Pro the same as SMABAT M2 Pro?
The drivers appear to be the same....

Yes actually the M2S Pro and M2 (non S) Pro appear to have the same shell externally. The vent location appears to be at the same location too.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-10 at 17.52.42.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-10 at 17.51.49.jpeg
The left earbud is the Non S (original M2 Pro). Right earbud with silverish cable is the M2S Pro.

Just that the Non S version is the very first pioneer of the modular swappable earbud driver idea. But unfortunately, the Non S version necessitated soldering skills, it didn't use the lego lock like design of the M0 and M2S Pro.

Interestingly, their drivers on paper appear to be similar (40 ohm impedance, FR 10 Hz - 22 kHz), but I think the damping inside is different, or perhaps the Non S uses one of the aftermarket dampers on sale. I tried setting the Non S version in the bassy config to mimick the subbass boost of the M2S Pro stock, and even so the Non S version is much easier to drive, and the Non S isn't as good in technicalities, with some midbass bleed.

Well unless you are very hands on, and have great soldering skills, I think if you wanna switch drivers on the fly, the M2S Pro is much more convenient to lock a new driver in than the Non S version. Plus the improved technicalities and better bass tightness makes the M2S Pro an improvement over the predecessor.

I’m sure shells make a difference, but how much between the 2 different driver in the cheaper shell and then the more expensive one: the one that comes with the M0 and the one that comes with the M2s pro. There’s a show in America called some like ‘Wife Swap’. I want to know how things get along in a driver swap.

Hmm for this query we will need to get the SMABAT ST10S driver and put it in both to compare. I will try to buy the ST10S driver at the next sale, for the sake of science!

The questions from me are how does it compare to the ST10S and how does it sound with the 150Ω driver from ST10S Black Gold?

Ok I just did a brief A/B comparison. As expected, the ST10S Black Gold (150 ohm) is harder to drive than the stock M2S Pro. ST10S Black Gold when properly powered, has deeper subbass extension and a tinge more midbass quantity (M2S Pro is no slouch in subbass extension for a earbud still). The increased midbass amounts in the Black Gold adds warmth to the lower mids and gives a thicker sound than the M2S Pro. In terms of technicalities of the mids/treble, I think the M2S Pro shades it slightly, assuming both are fed enough power.

I'll call them sidegrades, ST10S Black Gold is more suited for bassheads (if u have an amp). But M2S Pro is cheaper, and is easier to drive, and has customizable driver/damper options.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #56,020 of 75,272
First impressions of the Yincrow X6 (via Shanling M8 + Cayin C9 (Tube, AB)): absolutely worth the price.

Four standout observations for me are

• Bass - great extension way down low, great rumble and impact for an earbud, well balanced with the rest of the FR
  • Non-fatiguing signature - personally, I would want a little bit more treble extension and air, but then it wouldn't be such an easy listener and I couldn't massage my ears with high volume and that subbass
  • Technicalities - lovely stage with decent imaging, copes well without congestion or muddying
  • Timbre is great

Thanks for the recommendation @RikudouGoku :)

Edit: Yay for pairing a £5 bud with a £3000 DAP/AMP. *facepalm*

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #56,021 of 75,272
First impressions of the Yincrow X6 (via Shanling M8 + Cayin C9 (Tube, AB)): absolutely worth the price.

Four standout observations for me are

• Bass - great extension way down low, great rumble and impact for an earbud, well balanced with the rest of the FR
  • Non-fatiguing signature - personally, I would want a little bit more treble extension and air, but then it wouldn't be such an easy listener and I couldn't massage my ears with high volume and that subbass
  • Technicalities - lovely stage with decent imaging, copes well without congestion or muddying,
  • Timbre is great

Thanks for the recommendation @RikudouGoku :)

Edit: Yay for pairing a £5 bud with a £3000 DAP/AMP. *facepalm*

If it works... it works... :smile_phones:

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #56,022 of 75,272
If it works... it works... :smile_phones:

I'm just constantly stunned by the value proposition of this great world of earbuds. Slowly growing a well loved collection :)

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #56,023 of 75,272
He always complains that he has to carry it back to me when he would rather just throw it: problem is, he doesn’t have thumbs. :frowning2:

this is Watson with his favorite girlfriend Gracie

Watson is a beauty (so is Gracie!) :)

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #56,024 of 75,272
Yes actually the M2S Pro and M2 (non S) Pro appear to have the same shell externally. The vent location appears to be at the same location too.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-10 at 17.52.42.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-07-10 at 17.51.49.jpeg
The left earbud is the Non S (original M2 Pro). Right earbud with silverish cable is the M2S Pro.

Just that the Non S version is the very first pioneer of the modular swappable earbud driver idea. But unfortunately, the Non S version necessitated soldering skills, it didn't use the lego lock like design of the M0 and M2S Pro.

Interestingly, their drivers on paper appear to be similar (40 ohm impedance, FR 10 Hz - 22 kHz), but I think the damping inside is different, or perhaps the Non S uses one of the aftermarket dampers on sale. I tried setting the Non S version in the bassy config to mimick the subbass boost of the M2S Pro stock, and even so the Non S version is much easier to drive, and the Non S isn't as good in technicalities, with some midbass bleed.

Well unless you are very hands on, and have great soldering skills, I think if you wanna switch drivers on the fly, the M2S Pro is much more convenient to lock a new driver in than the Non S version. Plus the improved technicalities and better bass tightness makes the M2S Pro an improvement over the predecessor.

Hmm for this query we will need to get the SMABAT ST10S driver and put it in both to compare. I will try to buy the ST10S driver at the next sale, for the sake of science!

Ok I just did a brief A/B comparison. As expected, the ST10S Black Gold (150 ohm) is harder to drive than the stock M2S Pro. ST10S Black Gold when properly powered, has deeper subbass extension and a tinge more midbass quantity (M2S Pro is no slouch in subbass extension for a earbud still). The increased midbass amounts in the Black Gold adds warmth to the lower mids and gives a thicker sound than the M2S Pro. In terms of technicalities of the mids/treble, I think the M2S Pro shades it slightly, assuming both are fed enough power.

I'll call them sidegrades, ST10S Black Gold is more suited for bassheads (if u have an amp). But M2S Pro is cheaper, and is easier to drive, and has customizable driver/damper options.
Smabat must have done some non-obvious magic touch to the M2S Pro !
We need to get hold of this magic power...

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #56,025 of 75,272
I'm just constantly stunned by the value proposition of this great world of earbuds. Slowly growing a well loved collection :)

In that case when you try the TinGo TG-38s you won't know what to say ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back