Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #55,621 of 74,630
Completely concur, not even in the same ballpark. Asura are very detailed with excellent timbre. Definitely, would say that the Asura leans toward the bright side with the lower/middle midrange starting at neutral and slowly turning bright as you approach the lower treble region which I think is safe to say probably the most emphasized area on this earbud.
That's right! You described it much better than I ever can. Back then I likened it as the Etymotics of earbuds. A pity they were discontinued due to poorer reception.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #55,622 of 74,630
Completely concur, not even in the same ballpark. Asura are very detailed with excellent timbre. Definitely, would say that the Asura leans toward the bright side with the lower/middle midrange starting at neutral and slowly turning bright as you approach the lower treble region which I think is safe to say probably the most emphasized area on this earbud.
Do you have any suggestions of an earbud that has the same sound sig as the zen 2.0? I’m having a hard time finding one here in the Philippines. 🙁

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #55,623 of 74,630
Btw. is the Asura Omega Edition same as Asura, just with mmcx interface? Should I consider buying them if I find them on second-hand market?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #55,625 of 74,630
At least you can use donuts, which has no direct effect on the sound. Foam will catch and hold moisture that occurs where the driver cover touches the skin.
If moisture enter trough cover, inner surface and also diaphragm will become sticky and that can slow down diaphragm movement.
Over time, the glue that connects the driver to the cover will break down, and the driver will fall out, which can lead to damage to the voice coil wire.
On the back, moisture is less dangerous because there is more ventilation. MX500 shells, for example, has side vents which are cowered with thick black foam,
so that air circulates through the stem.

Anyway ... if you don't care about all of these and care only about how good they sound, you will not be able to enjoy for a long time, believe me
:beerchug:
Makes sense. Again, really appreciate the info!

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #55,627 of 74,630
So do I understand it correctly that Asura is better than Zen in everything except bass?

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #55,628 of 74,630
Do you have any suggestions of an earbud that has the same sound sig as the zen 2.0? I’m having a hard time finding one here in the Philippines. 🙁
Perhaps one of Willy's recent WillSound MK2 models.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #55,629 of 74,630
I think moisture depends mainly where you live and how you store it. I've been using a zen 2.0 foamless for almost 6 years and it still sounds good with no problems. I do keep it in its hard case with a silica packet though
Wow thats a fantastic tip! I'm gonna start using silica packets inside my hard cases. Thanks for that!

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #55,630 of 74,630
So do I understand it correctly that Asura is better than Zen in everything except bass?
Apples and oranges; they are really completely different earbuds for different purposes and tastes. Personally, I prefer Zen 2.0's signature as I am sensitive to bright/sibilant treble and lean to mellow relaxing sound as I tend to listen for very long sessions.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #55,632 of 74,630
I've seen @ClieOS write that the PS100-500Ω Classic Edition (balanced) is as the same Contender as the VE Zen 2 Balanced and "Somewhere between warm + laidback and neutral. Zen 2-ish, but less warmth with slightly grainier upper vocals."

It is the first of the choices on the following page.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796318436.html

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #55,633 of 74,630
I love the MK2. Was a great allrounder for me. Amazed that I could hear sounds behind me. Haven't experienced that with any other earbud.
Yes, besides heavy metal Willy is/was into binaural recordings perhaps explaining why it crept into his house tuning :wink: .

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #55,634 of 74,630
I've seen @ClieOS write that the PS100-500Ω Classic Edition (balanced) is as the same Contender as the VE Zen 2 Balanced and "Somewhere between warm + laidback and neutral. Zen 2-ish, but less warmth with slightly grainier upper vocals."

It is the first of the choices on the following page.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32796318436.html
Concur completely! Just didn't recommend them because they are very hard to reliably source these days and there is no customer support now :worried:. Be warned there are PureSounds copies using inferior drivers... many times no where near the 150, 260, 500, or 600 ohm impedance depending on the model they are copying!

I really loved my PureSounds though... miss them (more info here).

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #55,635 of 74,630
If you go with the 2.5 balanced version, the E1DA 9038SG3 have enough power to drive high impedance earbuds. It works with ios gear, though you have to get the cable separately.
For desktop use I am very happy with the E1DA PowerDAC v2, this one would need external power to function optimally with a mobile device. Though you get even more power and a parametric EQ for free.
Both sound great and are an excellent value.
No issue regarding noise with lower impedance high sensitivity earbuds on the PowerDac?
@sfrsfr Not meaning to harp but I am indeed extremely interested in hearing your thoughts and experience regarding noise and low impedance high sensitivity earbuds with your E1DA PowerDac v2. Any insight would be most appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back