Earbuds Round-Up
May 22, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #54,271 of 75,148
Breaking News: Toneking releases matching cable for 🐍

Screenshot_20210522-114724.png

May 22, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #54,273 of 75,148
Breaking News: Toneking releases matching cable for 🐍

Screenshot_20210522-114724.png
The price seems pretty overpriced though...

And I really dont like how thick it is, should be quite heavy and with buds thats a no go for me at least....

1621701783685.png

Although it looks like people prefer 8 core cables slightly over 4 cores.

May 22, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #54,274 of 75,148
The price seems pretty overpriced though...

And I really dont like how thick it is, should be quite heavy and with buds thats a no go for me at least....

Although it looks like people prefer 8 core cables slightly over 4 cores.
Yup. They prefer 8 core because they use it also for IEMS.
About TONEKING cable.

CKLewis Audio Store sales TONEKING cable for $45. Now when we look price for every individual parts things goes like this.
Plugs that this cable use is similar to this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001640204606.html
But let's grab whole set of parts, price is around $12 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002616144212.html
Now the cable that TONEKING use is 7N Single Crystal Copper Silver-Plated 8- strand 200-core. On Ali there are many cables with same specs but instead 200, they use 152 cores, and this is the cable who looks like TONEKING and sales in the same store for $3.5 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32972271590.html.
So the cable with parts cost around $15. How much does it cost to assemble this cable? $30 ? Come on, men!
:deadhorse:

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #54,275 of 75,148
Yup. They prefer 8 core because they use it also for IEMS.
About TONEKING cable.

CKLewis Audio Store sales TONEKING cable for $45. Now when we look price for every individual parts things goes like this.
Plugs that this cable use is similar to this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001640204606.html
But let's grab whole set of parts, price is around $12 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002616144212.html
Now the cable that TONEKING use is 7N Single Crystal Copper Silver-Plated 8- strand 200-core. On Ali there are many cables with same specs but instead 200, they use 152 cores, and this is the cable who looks like TONEKING and sales in the same store for $3.5 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32972271590.html.
So the cable with parts cost around $15. How much does it cost to assemble this cable? $30 ? Come on, men!
:deadhorse:
Yeah, very overpriced cable.

If you need a cable, I recommend the ones by XINHS: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/910746107
High build quality, very low resistance and cheaper than other cables (They are the OEM for a lot of other brands like Kbear, NiceHCK). You can also ask them to make custom cables for you.

May 23, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #54,279 of 75,148
My question is: why did the mx500 shell become so popular?

I’m not an ear bud expert by any means, but it’s not the most ergonomically shaped shell. It must have sound quality advantages over more ergonomic shells?
I asked myself the same question. I don't see the reason why. First, Sennheiser has a couple earbuds comparing them to say Sony and Aiwa, which IMO are more comfortable, have a better fit and many of them even have a better vent system.

Now let's analyze design of MX500 shell
mx500an.jpg

MX500 is a symmetrical shell, the stem is positioned in the middle of the vertical axis.
1. "Head" of the shell have vents on both side which play the most significant role in tuning.
2. The area that should be sealed with black "horseshoe" foam. In some cases this foam is placed on the back of the driver.
You can find more about this on the "DIY earbuds" thread.
3. This indentation on the shell contributes to a better fit. The Tagus aligns with it and the shell can get closer to the ear canal.
4. Fake vent canal which is sealed at the top.
5. The main canal for the cable.

I will mention a few things that could help improve this but also many other shells
A slight movement of the stem from the central axis would allow a deeper placement in the ear.
DP100 shell follow this example but AKG K314P, in addition, has an indentation in the shell which will be perfect combo
On the illustration below, on the left, we see when the stem is not aligned with center i.e. symmetry axis, the shell can go a bit deeper.
diso.jpg

Another thing related to stem. Fake vent canal can be used for thicker cables because it has a larger diameter, and actual cable canal can be used as a bass vent.
Image below shows two examples where fake vent is drilled
On the left image, the fake vent is used for cable and 2nd vent has tube insert which reduce vent diameter
On the right image, the fake vent is sealed with foam.
BTW... The red shrink tube is used here to completely seal the cable hole and at the same time prevents the cable from unwinding.
fakevent.jpg

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #54,280 of 75,148
I asked myself the same question. I don't see the reason why. First, Sennheiser has a couple earbuds comparing them to say Sony and Aiwa, which IMO are more comfortable, have a better fit and many of them even have a better vent system.

Now let's analyze design of MX500 shell
mx500an.jpg

MX500 is a symmetrical shell, the stem is positioned in the middle of the vertical axis.
1. "Head" of the shell have vents on both side which play the most significant role in tuning.
2. The area which need to be sealed with black "horseshoe" foam. In some cases this foam is placed on the back of the driver.
You can find more about this on the "DIY earbuds" thread.
3. This indentation on the shell contributes to a better fit. The Tagus aligns with it and the shell can get closer to the ear canal.
4. Fake vent canal which is sealed at the top.
5. The main canal for the cable.

I will mention a few things that could help improve this but also many other shells
A slight movement of the stem from the central axis would allow a deeper placement in the ear.
DP100 shell follow this example but AKG K314P, in addition, has an indentation in the shell which will be perfect combo
On the illustration below, on the left, we see when the stem is not aligned with center i.e. symmetry axis, the shell can go a bit deeper.
diso.jpg

Another thing related to stem. Fake vent canal can be used for thicker cables because it has a larger diameter, and actual cable canal can be used as a bass vent.
Image below shows two examples where fake vent is drilled
On the left image, the fake vent is used for cable and 2nd vent has tube insert which reduce vent diameter
On the right image, the fake vent is sealed with foam.
BTW... The red shrink tube is used here to completely seal the cable hole and at the same time prevents the cable from unwinding.
fakevent.jpg
We need to put these posts from @furyossa in some sort of reference area and make them mandatory reading for new fans of earbuds... so much good information.

May 24, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #54,284 of 75,148
Hi All. I'm interested in buying a PK1. I've been using the PK3 forever but the housing finally cracked. I always wanted to try the PK1 as the reviews sound right up my alley (clear, slightly warm, full sound without any harshness). I'm mostly interested in the PK1 versus anything newer that's come out, because (with the full foam pads) the PK3 fit my ears perfectly and I don't want to mess about with other bids that might not fit me very well.... better the devil you know!

Is the PK1 still a good choice in 2021? (I understand that I'll need an amp to get the best out of it).

May 24, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #54,285 of 75,148
Nothing constructive, but my mmcx collection grows. Kind of wish I could get into the mx500 life, but build quality and detacheable cables are tooimportant for me to give up. Current collection is smabat ST10s gold, yincrow rw 1000 bass pro, dendroaspis viridis, tone king 600, and toneking 400s. Anyone got any recs on some new hotness?

ndnCH8o[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back