Earbuds Round-Up
May 21, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #54,241 of 75,303
Battle of the Tonekings

iT9IHnR.jpg

From left to right : Tomahawk, TO180, TO200, TO600
Not present : TO400s (gifted to my father)

The Tomahawk is by far the most fatiguing Toneking of this list, with forward high mids that hurt my head a bit, but I'm really sensitive so YMMV. It's a good choice for someone who wants the toneking sound in an easy to drive and fixed cable package and is performing well for me at low to mid volume with full foams. It has good bass quantity for my taste and sounds fine overall, but if I had to do it again I think I'd skip it.

The TO180 is the second most fatiguing, but it's only very slightly fatiguing in some conditions for me. It's more controlled than the Tomahawk, but still shares the same forward high-mids characteristic, that works very well on some genres and can cause fatigue on others. It has pretty good bass quantity and extension, with no bleed into mids, but a bass that sounds sort of boomy, not the most natural I've heard. It has a big slam tho which creates an exciting sound.

The TO200 is less fatiguing to my ears, with more low mids than high mids, and as a result can be listened to higher volumes, where the big soundstage and superb instument separation really start to shine. It has however the less bass of the bunch, so that won't please everyone, but as you start to turn the volume up you hear more of the bass, so it somewhats mitigates the characteristic. I wouldn't even call it neutral at low volume, more like bass deficient, but it's moving towards neutral at high volume. It has a very good slam on kicks, like the TO180 but with a very dry sound instead of the boomy hit.

The TO600 is by far the least fatiguing of the bunch, with a very warm tonality, emphasized bass that bleeds into low-mids, and very polite mids and treble, it is a really relaxing sound that should please most, but is also the hardest to drive. It performs much better for me on balanced output than SE.

Absent at the moment is the TO400s, which is the only toneking earbud I owned that had a perfect cable. It is also the most neutral of the lot, with the best extension on both ends, reaching deeper in sub and having more sparkle in the highs, but without any kind of fatigue to my ears. It also had much less coloured/grainy mids than the 4 of the picture, which resulted to my ears in a more "correct" listen, but also less exciting for acoustic music. It was however able to reproduce classical in a very, very good manner, and was doing well for genres like hip-hop or EDM where sub is called for.

My preference :
Jazz : TO200 by far
Rock, Folk etc : TO600 or TO180 depending on mood and material
Classical, Hip-Hop, EDM : TO400s

Densproasis I would put between TO180 and TO400, it is more colorfoul and vivid than the TO400 with more forward mids, without being overdone but we're reaching the top of what I deem acceptable, but also has a much tighter bass than the TO180 albeit with really good quantity for earbuds, which makes it a really good "fun to listen" earbud in my book, without the flaws (boomy, vague bass) of the TO180. Clarity on par with other Tonekings, it won't destroy your ears, and is sufficient for me but I'd have preferred slightly more sparkle if I'm completely honest.The cable... meh but much better than all previous ones bare theTO400.

Overall, it's a good one.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #54,242 of 75,303
I think this is the right step forward for the earbuds industry, rather than those fixed cables with swappable plugs.
For sure. Also, you will be able to tray other DIY drivers with little soldering works.

May 21, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #54,243 of 75,303
I think u might have to purchase them seperately. When I got the original M2 Pro SMABAT, it only came with 1 driver type, the other 3 - 4 variants had to be bought and weren't included.
Yup. Probably with the best of them. But therefore there is a possibility that the same driver, which use M2 Pro, can be used with the M0 model, and I think that's a big advantage. All these things with modular drivers remind me of LEGO for earbud lovers :L3000:

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #54,244 of 75,303
Toneking TP16 : disapointment as it has a vague, boomy uncontrolled bass. If you like quantity over quality, why not. No juging. Not the worst I've heard mind you.

Those shells are sooo comfortable though, really willing to put some $$$ in a good one with that form factor in the near future.

Edit : actually, I think I'm a bit hard on that one, because this is in a comparison context that bass seems to lack tightness, but picked up on its own without reference, it sounds to me like the great, great TO200 mids I love, but with a lot of bass, and good slam, vs no bass but good slam of the TO200.

Time will tell, will revisit now and then.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #54,245 of 75,303
Yup. Probably with the best of them. But therefore there is a possibility that the same driver, which use M2 Pro, can be used with the M0 model, and I think that's a big advantage. All these things with modular drivers remind me of LEGO for earbud lovers :L3000:
1621586905917.png

Yup, you can. Looks like the modules are compatible with their entire M series.

May 21, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #54,246 of 75,303

Yup, you can. Looks like the modules are compatible with their entire M series.
And now this is starting to get interesting. Smabat started the idea i.e. solution where we will carry a pair of earbuds and a pack of gummy bears ... sorry I mean drivers :wink: Of course, cables with interchangeable plugs are always an option

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #54,247 of 75,303
I send you a PM :wink:

I totally hear and feel you on the "harsh treble" being your kryptonite. I too am extremely sensitive to sibilant, bright treble and avoid it at all costs as if it were the plague!

Are you averse to trying a different shell type such as the classic MX500 style or an Other Variant style like a Bell or New Age design? Or are you interested only in the smaller PK type shell? BTW: Did you use foam ear pads on your Yuin PK3 earbuds?
I'm open to any earbuds style. I use MX style at home (branded as HTC, bundled with an old phone), without any form, lazy fit just for listening to non hifi stuff on my laptop. Not sure what bell or new age style are. I use the foam on the Yuin, simply to get a more secure fit.
Cheers

May 21, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #54,248 of 75,303
1621587654314.png

1621587688101.png

Wasnt the ST10S already a basshead bud? And here they are talking about how much more powerful the bass is on the Super One lol. They also mentioned it got a faster response, does the ST10S have a slow/loose bass?

May 21, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #54,249 of 75,303
I think this is the right step forward for the earbuds industry, rather than those fixed cables with swappable plugs.
Totally concur!

Smabat M series drive unit module compatible with M2s pro M0​

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001268432243.html
I hope that we see more of these in a future
How reliable (robust) are those little (mini micro?) plastic JST connectors? Can they realistically hold up to the required plug-in repetitions as I have found the larger sized ones to be rather weak in multiple-use scenarios?

May 21, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #54,250 of 75,303
I'm open to any earbuds style. I use MX style at home (branded as HTC, bundled with an old phone), without any form, lazy fit just for listening to non hifi stuff on my laptop. Not sure what bell or new age style are. I use the foam on the Yuin, simply to get a more secure fit.
Cheers
New style are marked green. They are in most cases metal shells (bell-shaped or funnel-shaped) with stem or no stem (with MMCX connectors)
oldnew.jpg

May 21, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #54,251 of 75,303
1621587654314.png
1621587688101.png

Wasnt the ST10S already a basshead bud? And here they are talking about how much more powerful the bass is on the Super One lol. They also mentioned it got a faster response, does the ST10S have a slow/loose bass?
Obviously they use a different driver. The new acoustic system regulates the pressure in the shell more efficiently, which contributes to a better movement of the diaphragm of the driver, and it has a significant impact on low frequencies. And as you say the ST10s already have enough bass quantity and I think an additional increase would be superfluous. When it comes to bass quality, what is not mentioned here of course, then that’s another story. We'll find out after your test :wink:

May 21, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #54,252 of 75,303
Obviously they use a different driver. The new acoustic system regulates the pressure in the shell more efficiently, which contributes to a better movement of the diaphragm of the driver, and it has a significant impact on low frequencies. And as you say the ST10s already have enough bass quantity and I think an additional increase would be superfluous. When it comes to bass quality, what is not mentioned here of course, then that’s another story. We'll find out after your test :wink:
Yeah I guess lol. Generally, when brands mention bass performance it could be either quality or quantity lol.

May 21, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #54,253 of 75,303
Totally concur!

How reliable (robust) are those little (mini micro?) plastic JST connectors? Can they realistically hold up to the required plug-in repetitions as I have found the larger sized ones to be rather weak in multiple-use scenarios?
It depends a lot on the quality of the plastic they use. But as we know none of them can predict whether the user will change drivers often and I think it is definitely not meant for frequent driver changes. In addition to this connector, driver cover can be equally damaged at the point where it joins the shell

May 21, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #54,254 of 75,303
1621587654314.png
1621587688101.png

You can never have too much bass! Love the ST10s Gold, so these may be very interesting. :L3000:

May 21, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #54,255 of 75,303
Yeah I guess lol. Generally, when brands mention bass performance it could be either quality or quantity lol.
Maybe quantity 90% and quality 10% when it comes to earbuds :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back