Earbuds Round-Up
May 6, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #53,806 of 75,148
Hello there! I would like to ask for suggestions on earbuds. I mostly listen to pop, k-pop, hip-hop and rap, so I enjoy good bass, and a warm but detailed signature. I will use it with my OnePlus 5T phone, and my current budget is up to $60. Thank you in advance!

May 6, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #53,807 of 75,148
Sounds like you need silicone rings like these under your foams:
IMG_20201014_221112.jpg

ah, nice thinking there, but then not surprised at all... since there are a good number of new-ish posters on this thread, @assassin10000 is our resident earbud mod'er, even going so far as to frickin' cannibalize tws sets to connect earbud drivers to them!

I was more thinking that the larger size included a larger driver, but now I realize that there might be the same size driver and just a different size shell? no matter, no gripes with my purchase only I'm still almost always listening to my dan clark aeon 2's. :frowning2: I'll be returning to earbuds soon, I promise!

May 6, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #53,808 of 75,148
Hello there! I would like to ask for suggestions on earbuds. I mostly listen to pop, k-pop, hip-hop and rap, so I enjoy good bass, and a warm but detailed signature. I will use it with my OnePlus 5T phone, and my current budget is up to $60. Thank you in advance!
datura pro, download wavelet, load up my wavelet settings, enjoy the best $25 you have ever spent in audiophile equipment. have to go, but when i'm back on, I'll try to hunt down the posts.

May 6, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #53,809 of 75,148
I think we may share similar taste on how classical music should be heard so I will pay extra attention to your posts in the future. I see many comments from people who would recommend a neutral sounding earphone for classical but it doesn't always sound right to my ears. Of course it does come down to a matter of taste and I do prefer some extra warmth and slightly thicker mids.

I do find that "some" modern recordings have a thinness about them which I do not like at all and they can sound edgy or metallic. And for older recordings from the analogue era, they have a nice warmth but a resolving earbud can easily expose the flaws in the recording which is also not good.

Personally I have no problem using a warm earbud with classical, it may not be accurate or true to the recording but for certain situations it can make the music most enjoyable, e.g. for chamber music, I like the extra richness it brings to the cello.
fully agree. some modern recordings have awesome detail and fidelity but sound lifeless at times compared to some of my older recordings, Oistrakh's tchaikovsky (any of the 12 versions he recorded), for example. Earbuds and Oistrakh = heaven

May 6, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #53,810 of 75,148
datura pro, download wavelet, load up my wavelet settings, enjoy the best $25 you have ever spent in audiophile equipment. have to go, but when i'm back on, I'll try to hunt down the posts.
I didn't take the Datura Pro into consideration because of it being categorized as mid- centric. But if you say so, I will try with wavelet. Thank you very much.

May 6, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #53,811 of 75,148
Well? I just found out that the JCALLY EP08 only sells outside of China to foreign countries. So, I don't know if I can ever get one here in China where the company actually makes them at. Go figure! :slight_frown:

But, outside of China anyone can buy both the EP09 and the EP08. :unamused: ...Not fair!

-Clear

May 7, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #53,812 of 75,148
Well? I just found out that the JCALLY EP08 only sells outside of China to foreign countries. So, I don't know if I can ever get one here in China where the company actually makes them at. Go figure! :slight_frown:

But, outside of China anyone can buy both the EP09 and the EP08. :unamused: ...Not fair!

-Clear
I might just buy the EP08 if my finger lying on the buy now button can't be stopped 😂 It's around 16 USD base price, but I think I can get it down to ~13 with coins and vouchers (Shopee). Though I am afraid as @furyossa saw the pics and his analysis of the shell used and the impedance and sensitivity aren't positive.

I'm currently on the market as well for a MMCX earbud sub-30.

May 7, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #53,813 of 75,148

-Clear

The good thing is u can get stuff cheaper in china for made in china gear (which majority of IEMs and earbuds are nowadays). I realize in general Taobao gear is cheaper than Aliexpress for the same audio gear. They usually jack up the prices for international customers. Not to mention there's delays in shipping outside china, and if u do need to get warranty/customer service, it is a pain to ship stuff back to china.

May 7, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #53,814 of 75,148
May 7, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #53,817 of 75,148
The good thing is u can get stuff cheaper in china for made in china gear (which majority of IEMs and earbuds are nowadays). I realize in general Taobao gear is cheaper than Aliexpress for the same audio gear. They usually jack up the prices for international customers. Not to mention there's delays in shipping outside china, and if u do need to get warranty/customer service, it is a pain to ship stuff back to china.
True...I guess there's a fine line to draw here. There's also a lot of products China rather sell to foreigners then to locals here in China. Several years ago, my good friend 'Slater' was able to get a seller from Aliexpress to send me the KZ ZS7, since they were not available for the Chinese consumer to buy in China. So, what are the sellers thinking when they do this? One would never know.

...by the way, where's 'Slater'? Does anyone know?

May 7, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #53,818 of 75,148
True...I guess there's a fine line to draw here. There's also a lot of products China rather sell to foreigners then to locals here in China. Several years ago, my good friend 'Slater' was able to get a seller from Aliexpress to send me the KZ ZS7, since they were not available for the Chinese consumer to buy in China. So, what are the sellers thinking when they do this? One would never know.

...by the way, where's 'Slater'? Does anyone know?

I last spoke to Slater in january, I think he was very busy with work. Big pity we don't have his experience here for a few months, I've learnt a lot from him.

As for China sales versus international market. I know some CHIFI companies have different prices for their local and international market for the same IEM (as seen in taobao vs aliexpress prices). They can even vary by 50% in prices!!

Which brings me to this story, I visited China a few times in the past and I visited a famous xiao long bao shop (chinese steam bun) about 10 years ago. This shop had a few levels. So the first level is for foreigners, the shopkeeper sees you look non local and they invite you to sit there - price of 1 xiao long bao is $1 USD. I noticed the locals climbing up the stairs to the higher floors -> Lo and behold I went up to explore and the same xiao long bao is sold at $0.20 USD per piece to the locals!!! This is the same shop by the way haha.

Anyways, from speaking to a few manufacturer reps, the local Chinese market seems to prefer boosted upper mids/treble to complement their music, which features a lot of female vocals. They even have a term for it: musical poison 毒音. Perhaps the international market and westerners don't really like this boosted higher frequencies, and prefer something not so shouty. So some sellers were telling me BLON BL-03 (which a lot of westerners like for tonality and timbre) is very unpopular in China!! So the manufacturers tune and sell audio gear differently to cater to their market, but at the end of the day, I think the local Chinese market is still larger than the western CHIFI hardcore fans. We are talking about a 1.3 billion China local market, versus I dunno, maybe a few thousand CHIFI western fans? If I were a CHIFI company, I would for sure go for the bigger market.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #53,819 of 75,148
I received my blur buds yesterday (blur 266 400ohm 4.4) and I am blown away by them. Ive been using them with a cayin n6ii/a02/c9 and I can't stop listening. They sound like open headphones full of detail but also very naturally tuned. Highly reced. I spoke to Master Wong and he is currently working on a mx300ohm, and I'll def be checking it out

May 7, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #53,820 of 75,148
I last spoke to Slater in january, I think he was very busy with work. Big pity we don't have his experience here for a few months, I've learnt a lot from him.

As for China sales versus international market. I know some CHIFI companies have different prices for their local and international market for the same IEM (as seen in taobao vs aliexpress prices). They can even vary by 50% in prices!!

Which brings me to this story, I visited China a few times in the past and I visited a famous xiao long bao shop (chinese steam bun) about 10 years ago. This shop had a few levels. So the first level is for foreigners, the shopkeeper sees you look non local and they invite you to sit there - price of 1 xiao long bao is $1 USD. I noticed the locals climbing up the stairs to the higher floors -> Lo and behold I went up to explore and the same xiao long bao is sold at $0.20 USD per piece to the locals!!! This is the same shop by the way haha.

Anyways, from speaking to a few manufacturer reps, the local Chinese market seems to prefer boosted upper mids/treble to complement their music, which features a lot of female vocals. They even have a term for it: musical poison 毒音. Perhaps the international market and westerners don't really like this boosted higher frequencies, and prefer something not so shouty. So some sellers were telling me BLON BL-03 (which a lot of westerners like for tonality and timbre) is very unpopular in China!! So the manufacturers tune and sell audio gear differently to cater to their market, but at the end of the day, I think the local Chinese market is still larger than the western CHIFI hardcore fans. We are talking about a 1.3 billion China local market, versus I dunno, maybe a few thousand CHIFI western fans? If I were a CHIFI company, I would for sure go for the bigger market.
I really hope 'Slater' is doing okay. He is the master of small details and fixer-uppers on many IEM's, detachable cables, and ear tips!

-Clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back