Earbuds Round-Up
May 5, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #53,776 of 75,316
I hear what you say. Most people think that too. But the fact is that classical music in general is already “too thin” so to speak. Which is why a good bass is very important to it. Of course, too much of a bloom or bloodiness over the mids is not good neither.
And very often the audio recording lends itself to more harshness as a perfect balance and control is harder and more costly to achieve from a production perspective.
Also the very nature of classical music makes it hard to be tonally soothing with it’s huge variety of timber, volume (dynamics) and tome.
Well, I guess acoustic music is too big of a classification to generalize. In my library however, most of them do benefit from a brighter and thinner tonality rather than the opposite (warm and thick).

May 5, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #53,777 of 75,316
I hear what you say. Most people think that too. But the fact is that classical music in general is already “too thin” so to speak. Which is why a good bass is very important to it. Of course, too much of a bloom or bloodiness over the mids is not good neither.
And very often the audio recording lends itself to more harshness as a perfect balance and control is harder and more costly to achieve from a production perspective.
Also the very nature of classical music makes it hard to be tonally soothing with its huge variety of timber, volume (dynamics) and tone.

I think we may share similar taste on how classical music should be heard so I will pay extra attention to your posts in the future. I see many comments from people who would recommend a neutral sounding earphone for classical but it doesn't always sound right to my ears. Of course it does come down to a matter of taste and I do prefer some extra warmth and slightly thicker mids.

I do find that "some" modern recordings have a thinness about them which I do not like at all and they can sound edgy or metallic. And for older recordings from the analogue era, they have a nice warmth but a resolving earbud can easily expose the flaws in the recording which is also not good.

Personally I have no problem using a warm earbud with classical, it may not be accurate or true to the recording but for certain situations it can make the music most enjoyable, e.g. for chamber music, I like the extra richness it brings to the cello.

May 5, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #53,778 of 75,316
I’m very sad to say, almost desperate
Try the experiment.
It should get rid of additional high frequencies.
Cut scissors, a round piece of paper from which bags for tea are made for tea and put it under the foam.
Try.

Attachments

• png-transparent-tea-bag-others-hand-textile-tea.png
    png-transparent-tea-bag-others-hand-textile-tea.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #53,779 of 75,316
I think we may share similar taste on how classical music should be heard so I will pay extra attention to your posts in the future. I see many comments from people who would recommend a neutral sounding earphone for classical but it doesn't always sound right to my ears. Of course it does come down to a matter of taste and I do prefer some extra warmth and slightly thicker mids.

I do find that "some" modern recordings have a thinness about them which I do not like at all and they can sound edgy or metallic. And for older recordings from the analogue era, they have a nice warmth but a resolving earbud can easily expose the flaws in the recording which is also not good.

Personally I have no problem using a warm earbud with classical, it may not be accurate or true to the recording but for certain situations it can make the music most enjoyable, e.g. for chamber music, I like the extra richness it brings to the cello.
Will respond to you later !

May 5, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #53,780 of 75,316
Try the experiment.
It should get rid of additional high frequencies.
Cut scissors, a round piece of paper from which bags for tea are made for tea and put it under the foam.
Try.
You should have added at the end of your message: “and thank me later”.
I can’t confirm on the long term but I immediately see a great improvement !
This is genius !
Many many thanks !
Still to be confirmed on the long term.

May 5, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #53,784 of 75,316
Guys suggest me 3-5 Great earbuds that i can buy in 10-20$ range on Aliexpress. So far i have personally listed down Faael Rosemary, Openheart Earbuds, Sennheiser MX375 and Memt R7 or T5.

Which 2 would you prefer from these ? Also suggest any others in this price range if they're worth buying.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #53,785 of 75,316
Guys suggest me 3-5 Great earbuds that i can buy in 10-20$ range on Aliexpress. So far i have personally listed down Faael Rosemary, Openheart Earbuds, Sennheiser MX375 and Memt R7 or T5.

Which 2 would you prefer from these ? Also suggest any others in this price range if they're worth buying.
Yincrow X6 and the NiceHCK MX500.

May 5, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #53,787 of 75,316
I have Fengru EMX500 ....is Nicehck MX500 and Fengru Emx500 same thing, just rebranded ? or they tuned quite differently ?
Honestly no idea...

May 5, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #53,788 of 75,316
Folks, check out my mini-comparison review of Audio-Technica ATH-CM2000Ti and Moondrop Chaconne:

With Chaconne, I confidently ordered them from China after reading many positives reviews saying they’re TOTL. With CM2kTi, they have a lot of mixed reviews but I was luckily able to order it directly from Amazon so I basically had a free 30-day trial (after which I decided to keep them). It’s a very unique model because it’s the latest (and probably the last) premium earbud made by a major traditional Japanese or German manufacturer. And in my opinion they are easily on the level with Chaconne, just a somewhat (not too much) different sound signature.

Both earbud models offer high-end build quality with titanium housing. Each model is using a high-end single dynamic driver structure. Chaconne and CM2kTi are excellent in the timbre/musicality department. They sound great with variety of music. They’re manage to be quite forgiving and highly resolving in the details at once: so older and newer recordings are well rendered. DSD/bi-aural hi-res stuff from a proper source can showcase the quality scale these both earbuds models can reach.

Presentation is different. CM2kTi provides for a more of comparatively engaging front row listening experience with in-your-face vocals and drums; Chaconne is more of a 10th row ticket, laid-back, with various sounds positioned dynamically closer to each other. Soundstage is huge on both with great sense of space; Chaconne having a rounder presentation with more depth; CM2kTi is wider and airier. This part is a bit hard to explain but I’ll try: although Chaconne’s vocals sound less prominent in the mix overall, they are somewhat more lifted from the other sounds than with CM2kTi whereas vocals sound more prominent but less holographic.

Bass is weakest part of the frequency spectrum on both- with Chaconne extending slightly more sub-low; while CM2kTi has a bit more of a mid-bass thump. However, both take EQ pretty well with a quick low shelf bump- Chaconne responds better and can reach slightly higher bass quantities before distorting.

They’re both mid-centric, with Chaconne leaning more to upper mids with one-of-a-kind female vocals presentation: extremely clean, emotional/engaging, great vocal note extension and creamy decay. Same applies to male vocals except they could at times sound a slight bit more higher-pitch that usual (feminine?). This is where CM2kTi takes the crown with meatier, weightier, more authoritative male vocals; while females sound really, really good still.

Treble, just like mids, are outstanding on both. Non-fatiguing, yet detailed. Chaconne is more sparkly, CM2kTi is smoother. But both reach very high, with great execution in terms of having lots of quantity yet excellent harshness control.

Although Chaconne is warmer, it’s warmth is at low level comparing to something like Toneking Viridis or FAAEAL Rosemary. They both pair better with a warmer source (like Sony) that gives the sound more body, than with a clean/analytical source (like ESS chip).

Sound quality aside, CM2kTi comes with some tangible perks:
- warranty support: major manufacturer with a local office
- detachable cable: comes with 3.5mm and 4.4mm cables, along with real leather case
- light weight: can wear for longer sessions without fatigue

I highly recommend both models to all earbuds lovers (barring hardcore bassheads). Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_20210505_160020.jpg

May 5, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #53,789 of 75,316

Openheart Earbuds and Qian69.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back