Earbuds Round-Up
May 6, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #53,792 of 75,210
May 6, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #53,793 of 75,210
Try the experiment.
It should get rid of additional high frequencies.
Cut scissors, a round piece of paper from which bags for tea are made for tea and put it under the foam.
Try.
Old tricks never die:wink:

May 6, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #53,794 of 75,210
Folks, check out my mini-comparison review of Audio-Technica ATH-CM2000Ti and Moondrop Chaconne:

With Chaconne, I confidently ordered them from China after reading many positives reviews saying they’re TOTL. With CM2kTi, they have a lot of mixed reviews but I was luckily able to order it directly from Amazon so I basically had a free 30-day trial (after which I decided to keep them). It’s a very unique model because it’s the latest (and probably the last) premium earbud made by a major traditional Japanese or German manufacturer. And in my opinion they are easily on the level with Chaconne, just a somewhat (not too much) different sound signature.

Both earbud models offer high-end build quality with titanium housing. Each model is using a high-end single dynamic driver structure. Chaconne and CM2kTi are excellent in the timbre/musicality department. They sound great with variety of music. They’re manage to be quite forgiving and highly resolving in the details at once: so older and newer recordings are well rendered. DSD/bi-aural hi-res stuff from a proper source can showcase the quality scale these both earbuds models can reach.

Presentation is different. CM2kTi provides for a more of comparatively engaging front row listening experience with in-your-face vocals and drums; Chaconne is more of a 10th row ticket, laid-back, with various sounds positioned dynamically closer to each other. Soundstage is huge on both with great sense of space; Chaconne having a rounder presentation with more depth; CM2kTi is wider and airier. This part is a bit hard to explain but I’ll try: although Chaconne’s vocals sound less prominent in the mix overall, they are somewhat more lifted from the other sounds than with CM2kTi whereas vocals sound more prominent but less holographic.

Bass is weakest part of the frequency spectrum on both- with Chaconne extending slightly more sub-low; while CM2kTi has a bit more of a mid-bass thump. However, both take EQ pretty well with a quick low shelf bump- Chaconne responds better and can reach slightly higher bass quantities before distorting.

They’re both mid-centric, with Chaconne leaning more to upper mids with one-of-a-kind female vocals presentation: extremely clean, emotional/engaging, great vocal note extension and creamy decay. Same applies to male vocals except they could at times sound a slight bit more higher-pitch that usual (feminine?). This is where CM2kTi takes the crown with meatier, weightier, more authoritative male vocals; while females sound really, really good still.

Treble, just like mids, are outstanding on both. Non-fatiguing, yet detailed. Chaconne is more sparkly, CM2kTi is smoother. But both reach very high, with great execution in terms of having lots of quantity yet excellent harshness control.

Although Chaconne is warmer, it’s warmth is at low level comparing to something like Toneking Viridis or FAAEAL Rosemary. They both pair better with a warmer source (like Sony) that gives the sound more body, than with a clean/analytical source (like ESS chip).

Sound quality aside, CM2kTi comes with some tangible perks:
- warranty support: major manufacturer with a local office
- detachable cable: comes with 3.5mm and 4.4mm cables, along with real leather case
- light weight: can wear for longer sessions without fatigue

I highly recommend both models to all earbuds lovers (barring hardcore bassheads). Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for this mini-comparison. What can you say about comfort?

May 6, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #53,795 of 75,210
Folks, check out my mini-comparison review of Audio-Technica ATH-CM2000Ti and Moondrop Chaconne:

With Chaconne, I confidently ordered them from China after reading many positives reviews saying they’re TOTL. With CM2kTi, they have a lot of mixed reviews but I was luckily able to order it directly from Amazon so I basically had a free 30-day trial (after which I decided to keep them). It’s a very unique model because it’s the latest (and probably the last) premium earbud made by a major traditional Japanese or German manufacturer. And in my opinion they are easily on the level with Chaconne, just a somewhat (not too much) different sound signature.

Both earbud models offer high-end build quality with titanium housing. Each model is using a high-end single dynamic driver structure. Chaconne and CM2kTi are excellent in the timbre/musicality department. They sound great with variety of music. They’re manage to be quite forgiving and highly resolving in the details at once: so older and newer recordings are well rendered. DSD/bi-aural hi-res stuff from a proper source can showcase the quality scale these both earbuds models can reach.

Presentation is different. CM2kTi provides for a more of comparatively engaging front row listening experience with in-your-face vocals and drums; Chaconne is more of a 10th row ticket, laid-back, with various sounds positioned dynamically closer to each other. Soundstage is huge on both with great sense of space; Chaconne having a rounder presentation with more depth; CM2kTi is wider and airier. This part is a bit hard to explain but I’ll try: although Chaconne’s vocals sound less prominent in the mix overall, they are somewhat more lifted from the other sounds than with CM2kTi whereas vocals sound more prominent but less holographic.

Bass is weakest part of the frequency spectrum on both- with Chaconne extending slightly more sub-low; while CM2kTi has a bit more of a mid-bass thump. However, both take EQ pretty well with a quick low shelf bump- Chaconne responds better and can reach slightly higher bass quantities before distorting.

They’re both mid-centric, with Chaconne leaning more to upper mids with one-of-a-kind female vocals presentation: extremely clean, emotional/engaging, great vocal note extension and creamy decay. Same applies to male vocals except they could at times sound a slight bit more higher-pitch that usual (feminine?). This is where CM2kTi takes the crown with meatier, weightier, more authoritative male vocals; while females sound really, really good still.

Treble, just like mids, are outstanding on both. Non-fatiguing, yet detailed. Chaconne is more sparkly, CM2kTi is smoother. But both reach very high, with great execution in terms of having lots of quantity yet excellent harshness control.

Although Chaconne is warmer, it’s warmth is at low level comparing to something like Toneking Viridis or FAAEAL Rosemary. They both pair better with a warmer source (like Sony) that gives the sound more body, than with a clean/analytical source (like ESS chip).

- detachable cable: comes with 3.5mm and 4.4mm cables, along with real leather case

I highly recommend both models to all earbuds lovers (barring hardcore bassheads). Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_20210505_160020.jpg
Guess I dont need to review the Chaconne anymore lol. :joy:

Just going to add in my thoughts.

Soundstage is huge on both with great sense of space; Chaconne having a rounder presentation with more depth; CM2kTi is wider and airier. This part is a bit hard to explain but I’ll try: although Chaconne’s vocals sound less prominent in the mix overall, they are somewhat more lifted from the other sounds than with CM2kTi whereas vocals sound more prominent but less holographic.
The Chaconne has that holographic sound because its soundstage is deep. If a transducer only has width (or if the width is a lot wider than the depth) then it wont sound very holographic.

Same applies to male vocals except they could at times sound a slight bit more higher-pitch that usual (feminine?). This is where CM2kTi takes the crown with meatier, weightier, more authoritative male vocals; while females sound really, really good still.
Thats the tonality, it is missing some warmth and thickness to make male vocals on par with the female vocals. It is quite typical of buds to be like that though...

Although Chaconne is warmer, it’s warmth is at low level comparing to something like Toneking Viridis
IMO the Viridis is a lot brighter to me than the Chaconne.

May 6, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #53,796 of 75,210
MEMT T5 are great semi-open buds, a must have! And, for around $30 dollars the JCALLY EP09 are just amazing in their own right! Resolution is downright gorgeous!

-Clear
JCally EP09 looks really tempting. Kinda out of my budget for an earbud. But here's what i can do. Instead of buying the Yincrow X6 and Cat Audio Mimi, i can just buy 1 Jcally EP09. Do you think it's really worth getting the EP09 over those two ?

Edit: Oh and what about the EP08 ? It costs nearly 10$ less than EP09. I was wondering if you or anyone has heard both models and can share their thoughts on these.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #53,797 of 75,210
JCally EP09 looks really tempting. Kinda out of my budget for an earbud. But here's what i can do. Instead of buying the Yincrow X6 and Cat Audio Mimi, i can just buy 1 Jcally EP09. Do you think it's really worth getting the EP09 over those two ?

Edit: Oh and what about the EP08 ? It costs nearly 10$ less than EP09. I was wondering if you or anyone has heard both models and can share their thoughts on these.
Personally, I am sold on the EP09! The EP09 is their flagship model, plus it has beryllium coated drivers. The resolution is clearly better when compared to most of my other buds. The ANN N200 comes close. But, I don't have the EP08 and now I'm tempted to get them just to compare them both. Though, I think is a step back, since they are just titanium membrane drivers (without beryllium coating).

PS. I will try to order the EP08 on taobao today to compare.

-Clear

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #53,798 of 75,210
Personally, I am sold on the EP09! The EP09 is their flagship model, plus it has beryllium coated drivers. The resolution is clearly better when compared to most of my other buds. The ANN N200 comes the close. But, I don't have the EP08 and now I'm tempted to get them just to compare them both. Though, I think is a step back, since they are just titanium membrane drivers (without beryllium coating).

PS. I will try to order the EP08 on taobao today to compare.

-Clear
Great Thanks! I saw your impressions on the EP09 a pages back. The build quality and cable looks nice on these and I'm really tempted to hear these myself now. I think i will definitely order these now. Before founding this, i was looking towards the Yincrow X6 and Faael Rosemary.

May 6, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #53,799 of 75,210
Great Thanks! I saw your impressions on the EP09 a pages back. The build quality and cable looks nice on these and I'm really tempted to hear these myself now. I think i will definitely order these now. Before founding this, i was looking towards the Yincrow X6 and Faael Rosemary.
IMO, if you want to save money, you should buy a DIY Vido (white) instead of the Yincrow X6.
The Yincrow X6 is a more expensive version of the Vido, they use the same drivers and the sound is almost the same.
:relaxed:

May 6, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #53,800 of 75,210
I also like my Yincrow X6 and RW-9, but I spend more enjoyable time with the EP09's clear resolution tuning.

May 6, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #53,801 of 75,210
IMO, if you want to save money, you should buy a DIY Vido (white) instead of the Yincrow X6.
The Yincrow X6 is a more expensive version of the Vido, they use the same drivers and the sound is almost the same.
:relaxed:
I already own 7 earbuds. Faael Iris 2.0, Lotus 1.0, NiceHck Vido, Traceless, Fengru Emx500, TC200, Kbear Stellar.

Personally, i think the Vido's are great. But they are not outstanding among my collection. I find the Nicehck Traceless and Fengru Mx500 more enjoyable than vido.

The only must have earbuds missing on my list were the Yincrows X6, Faael Rosemary and Cat Ear Mimi. But I'll skip these 3 and just go for the more premium experience with the EP09. :D

May 6, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #53,802 of 75,210
Thanks for this mini-comparison. What can you say about comfort?
I get better comfort with CM2000Ti: lighter weight, with flatter/smaller head.

Between titanium housing, cord protection extension, and brass hat- Chaconne is relatively heavy. I can feel pressure of weight after a while since it's worn cable down. Head is rounder and and a bit deeper. I like to angle my buds at ~135 degree angle- having a head that's less flat and protrudes deeper puts additional pressure on my tragus. It also makes it more challenging to keep that angle in place.

May 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #53,803 of 75,210
I already own 7 earbuds. Faael Iris 2.0, Lotus 1.0, NiceHck Vido, Traceless, Fengru Emx500, TC200, Kbear Stellar.

Personally, i think the Vido's are great. But they are not outstanding among my collection. I find the Nicehck Traceless and Fengru Mx500 more enjoyable than vido.

The only must have earbuds missing on my list were the Yincrows X6, Faael Rosemary and Cat Ear Mimi. But I'll skip these 3 and just go for the more premium experience with the EP09. :D
Yea, ever since I put on the earbud sponge covers on my EP09, I've been enjoying and listening to my music library all over again. :yum::thumbsup:

PS. I would never understand why they're priced so low compared to many other not so premium buds. I personally think they put more effort into quality for a reasonable price for the budget consumer, IMHO. Though, if you can somehow buy the ANN N200, they make for a good sidekick listening experience. But, if I were you, I would also add the X6 and RW-9 to your list. The bass is really nice.

-Clear

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #53,804 of 75,210

Thank you for this. The Audio technica I had to return it as I found the bass VERY withdrawn.

Just recieved the Yinman 600, AND WAW !
What a tone beauty ! Very smooth detailed but relaxing sound.
(still sounds a bit too “tiny” to my taste though).
I think we may share similar taste on how classical music should be heard so I will pay extra attention to your posts in the future. I see many comments from people who would recommend a neutral sounding earphone for classical but it doesn't always sound right to my ears. Of course it does come down to a matter of taste and I do prefer some extra warmth and slightly thicker mids.

I do find that "some" modern recordings have a thinness about them which I do not like at all and they can sound edgy or metallic. And for older recordings from the analogue era, they have a nice warmth but a resolving earbud can easily expose the flaws in the recording which is also not good.

Personally I have no problem using a warm earbud with classical, it may not be accurate or true to the recording but for certain situations it can make the music most enjoyable, e.g. for chamber music, I like the extra richness it brings to the cello.
Classical music, by the way it’s recorded, by the way it’s mastered (way less compressed) and by its very dynamic and tonal nature can sound thin on many headphones earbuds that are on the “analytical“ side.
Baroque music is the only style/era that can more or less escape this danger. As it has the “obligato” bass line which gives more body to music.
So the whole problem for us is having separation, clarity and imaging without bass blooming headphones.
This is why my favorite headphones are....AUDEZE (LCD3) !!! Hahahahah. Which is the absolute opposite of an earbud in terms of comfort.
But no headphones will give you better cello sound and expression than Audeze.
In my recent and limited earbud escapade, I have liked a few earbuds (Yincrow 2000 double foamed, Yinman 600, em5 doubled foamed, Rosemary) but I still have to give my number choice to the Zen which is really the best tonally. Warm, yes, but the timbre is so right, and the sound is full.
In classical music, tone/timbre is as important as imaging and separation.
But my journey is just beginning.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #53,805 of 75,210
Yea, ever since I put on the earbud sponge covers on my EP09, I've been enjoying and listening to my music library all over again. :yum::thumbsup:

PS. I would never understand why they're priced so low compared to many other not so premium buds. I personally think they put more effort into quality for a reasonable price for the budget consumer, IMHO. Though, if you can somehow buy the ANN N200, they make for a good sidekick listening experience. But, if I were you, I would also add the X6 and RW-9 to your list. The bass is really nice.

-Clear
They are probably trying to make a name for themselves in this saturated market and capture a market share. Anyway, that's good for us consumers. We are getting something great at a affordable price. Btw i have placed order for the EP09 this morning. It will be really exciting for me to compare them to all my other earbuds. I will share my impressions on these when i receive them. But for now, i'll have to wait patiently for a month to receive them lol. :smile:

Yes, I will probably buy the Yincrow X6 and the other popular budget earbuds later anyway. I just love how majority of the great sounding earbuds we see in the market are at such a affordable price. Which makes it easier for us enthusiasts to buy them without going wild on our wallet.

I feel so stupid for overlooking the earbuds market for so long. I had no idea earbuds could sound so amazing and i'm so glad that i'm finally exploring them and it's all Thanks to this wonderful community of Audio enthusiasts from around the world on a great platform such as Head-Fi. Cheers to you guys! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back