Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 10, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #49,171 of 75,871
1599710865770.png

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #49,172 of 75,871

Haha this looks like an IEM though, not bud. But would be interesting to see what the sound is like. Non detachable cable blah. Their last budget SSR had equivocal reviews for being shouty at the 3 kHz region, and the supposed bassier variant (SSP) is still nowhere in sight.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #49,173 of 75,871
Haha this looks like an IEM though, not bud. But would be interesting to see what the sound is like. Non detachable cable blah. Their last budget SSR had equivocal reviews for being shouty at the 3 kHz region, and the supposed bassier variant (SSP) is still nowhere in sight.
@Slater has a SSP

:)

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #49,174 of 75,871
Ooops my mistake! I thought i was in the discovery thread 😂

Sep 10, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #49,175 of 75,871
Ooops my mistake! I thought i was in the discovery thread 😂

I always try to double-check the URL in the address bar, before clicking the "Post reply" button... :wink:

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #49,176 of 75,871
EDIT: A replaceable cable would be a huge plus, but NOT required IF the stock cable is decent. (Not like on the Faaeal Iris or the Snow lotus, they feel disgusting.)

Which Snow Lotus? And what's 'disgusting' about the cable? I actually don't mind the cable that's on the Snow Lotus 1.0+ CE and the Rosemary.

I really find it strange how prevalent midbass bloat is, in earbuds and in IEMs. This is the EQ I'm using on the Rambo2:

Raised subbass 2db, pulled the mids down 3.5db, raised >1khz 1-4db. Sounds way cleaner, and the boosted subbass becomes much more notable. I really don't know who would prefer the original tuning.

Also a request, if you're making measurements it'd be cool to add them to their respective head gear entries. Even if it does look like garbage, I've found frequency response graphs are best used for sorting out stuff that's obviously bad. Once I've seen that it has a sane enough tuning I get interested in how capable it really is. It's up to you though, I'm way too cheap to have enough stuff to warrant getting into measurements myself.

Nice vertical EQ graph. What app/software did you use that has such a graph?

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #49,177 of 75,871
Which Snow Lotus? And what's 'disgusting' about the cable? I actually don't mind the cable that's on the Snow Lotus 1.0+ CE and the Rosemary.

Nice vertical EQ graph. What app/software did you use that has such a graph?
The snow lotus with the 2.5mm balanced cable. I dont like the feel and look of it, it doesnt feel good I guess it is the very high friction that I dont like or something..

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #49,179 of 75,871
Tried eq tweaking the sound on the Nicehck B40...

I have the model with mic, which I do not recommend unless you relegate the set to video/voice calls primarily. The channel variance is horrifying.

b40 right vs. left.jpg

This setting will get you substantially closer to Harman Target, but it sounds terrible:

eq_nicehck b40 eq.png

I don't have a graph of the outcome yet. I'll put one up later.
Some light compression across the bands yield this:

eq_nicehck b40 eq compressed.png

Sounds much, much better. Makes the B40 more listenable to my ear but I still don't recommend the mic version of the B40.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #49,180 of 75,871
Sounds much, much better. Makes the B40 more listenable to my ear but I still don't recommend the mic version of the B40.

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: I just ordered the B40's based on recommendations here and guess which version I ordered like an idiot, the mic'd lmao. I knew I should've just gone with the regular like usual but I thought I could use a pair of backup earbuds since I sometimes need a headset for my job and Edifier P190s are my only mic'd earbud.

Still, I'm not picky and this is the only pair of earbuds for music I've ordered in like an year so I was just dipping my toes in the water, will likely get a bit more of an upgraded PK-shell earbud in a bit.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #49,181 of 75,871
If you're implying price gouging, here are some things to consider :

- just the material for a good cable can run 40-60% of the final price, not to mention labor to build the cable. Not difficult, I know, as I've built cables before, but still easily justifies another $10-15 labor to make the cable.

- there's also a premium that should be considered along the lines of an artist commission.

- wong's builds have been highly regarded for quite some time. If they aren't worth the price, the market would of priced him out long ago.

- reviews are not easy to come by, but well regarded head'fiers have vouched for his products.

Good enough for me. And I do not doubt his claims.

I wasnt implying anything. I ordered a pair of his blur 173 hope to get it soon been in the mail for a week. I was just curious of the donar bud so I could see if I could buy it and do a comparison.

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #49,182 of 75,871
I wasnt implying anything. I ordered a pair of his blur 173 hope to get it soon been in the mail for a week. I was just curious of the donar bud so I could see if I could buy it and do a comparison.
Ah, apologies.

Do let us know how they are.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #49,183 of 75,871
:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: I just ordered the B40's based on recommendations here and guess which version I ordered like an idiot, the mic'd lmao. I knew I should've just gone with the regular like usual but I thought I could use a pair of backup earbuds since I sometimes need a headset for my job and Edifier P190s are my only mic'd earbud.

Still, I'm not picky and this is the only pair of earbuds for music I've ordered in like an year so I was just dipping my toes in the water, will likely get a bit more of an upgraded PK-shell earbud in a bit.
To be honest, even with this much channel variation it's not destructive to the listening experience. In fact, it wasn't obvious to me until I was AB'ing the b40 and the yuin pk2 when I realized that the balance felt weird on the b40. Again nothing obvious like one side was louder than the other, but it was a bit disorienting going back and forth. I don't think I would have picked up on it if I weren't AB testing.

I'd suggest bumping down the lower mids and raising the upper mids a tad.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #49,184 of 75,871
Has anyone come across a graph of the Fiio em5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back