Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #48,616 of 75,861
Has anyone tried these?

US $14.44 15%OFF | GM500 original in-ear Earphone 15mm music 300ohm quality sound HIFI Earphone (MX500 style earphone) 3.5mm L Bending hifi cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZ0GeW4

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #48,617 of 75,861
Here is some comparison I wrote for White Bell (*White Ling), Black Bell (*Black Ling) and Poseidon, intended for someplace else but I guess some of us might be interested in reading them as well:

I got my hands on a couple of K's earbuds over the last few years and they tend to share a similar house sound. Simply put, they more or less all have 'deep bass, sweet mid, smooth high and open soundstage'. All and all they are warm sounding earbuds that are good for mainstream vocal music, focusing on musicality rather than accuracy/details. When it comes to mainstream music, they can sound excellent, especially on conveying emotion, as long as the listener isn't looking for an analytical sound. This also means they are not the best choice for instruments or classical music. When it comes to White and Black Bell or Poseidon, the above still applies. Here is, however, what they are different in - White Bell is by far the most sensitive to how you wear it. While White and Black Bell share the same housing design, White's particular tuning tends to sound a bit hallow and distance if you get a loose fit. The shiny and smooth plated surface and the small housing really doesn't help to get a really good seal, even though it is quite comfortable. I do strongly recommend using foam, particularly donut or multi-holes variant, in order to get the rather full sounding White.to reveal itself. When you get it right, White will have the most upfront mid and the smallest soundstage (though not actually small) of all three of the newer K's, making it the most vocal-centric of the bunch and great for pop and rock. Black, on the other hand, doesn't care as much about fitting as White (though I still recommend donut or multi-holes foam) since its tuning doesn't highlight any particular frequency like the White, and tends to sound more consistent across the whole range with a wider soundstage and thus making it more versatile when it comes to different music genre. While Black's mid might not be as sweet as White, the overall balance is better. The biggest difference I have felt between the two is that White is more energetic where Black is more mature sounding. Poseidon, in comparison, is really more of a mid-point between the two, striking a really good balance while having the best soundstage and musicality of the three. In a way, Poseidon almost sounds like a full size can.

With this kind of high price tag, talking about price/performance ratio often becomes a moot point. You will definitely find better value in cheaper (though lesser sounding) options than these earbuds. Nonetheless, White and Black are still overall in and around the same high level of SQ as K's previous flagship, the 500ohm Samsara, making them still competitive over the other flagships / second tier. Poseidon, on the other hand, is truly among the best of the best out there. Whether it will suit a person is, however, more than just SQ, but also a preference in music and taste. For example, Liebesleid still excels in female vocal and detail where Poseidon holds more advantage over male vocal, etc.

I had the chance to audition K's "Bell-White E Bass Edition" in Guangzhou about a year ago. It was recommended to me by a shop assistant after I asked him whether there has been any substantial improvements in the earbuds world after MX985, something with more warmth. Saying that it blew my MX985 out of the water was an understatement. The K's was so warm and full, yet still managed to boast an imaging and soundstage 10x better than my MX985. MX985 sounded muffled, congested, plain and un-organic. And the Bell-White did it without a foam. It was such a dramatic improvement that I spent the entire afternoon listening to the Bell-White, before I was told that it wasn't even K's TOTL.

Here's my question: What improvement should I expect comparing the Bell-Ti to Bell-White? From what I understand, Bell-Ti is more balanced-sounding than Bell-White, which is probably not necessarily a plus in my book, as I usually like some warmth in the mids and a dense lower mids and dislike treble sparkles. Is Bell-Ti technically superior to Bell-White, e.g. image better? If price is not a factor, do you recommend me getting Bell-Ti and wear it with foams, or getting Bell-White and be happy with it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #48,618 of 75,861
I just received a review unit of the SMABAT M2 Pro. This little earbud packs a ton of innovative ideas with regards to customizing its sound signature (see below).

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-03 at 20.28.47.jpeg

It comes with a silver plated MMCX cable, very well braided and of high quality. MMCX are easy to connect and disconnect (I know the first batch of SMABAT ST10 has MMCX issues). Like the predecessor SMABAT models, this M2 Pro can be worn over ear or cable down, and is light and comfortable.
It comes with a silicone cover and full foams. I find the full foams gives a warmer sound (though with slight loss of details) whereas the silicone covers makes the sound clearer and brighter with better microdetails. The upper mids/lower treble can get a bit hot with the silicone covers though, but I'm treble sensitive, so YMMV, and the basshead in me prefers the full foams.

So with regard to customizing the sound signature, other than the full foams vs silicone covers influencing the sound, the sound can also have multiple permutations:
Capture1.PNG

It comes with 2 pairs of tuning modules in the box (the white circular thing in this picture). There's an option to get 3 aftermarket dome units/drivers (these are not included in the box and can be purchased separately).

Capture3.PNG

The default tuning module which is preinstalled gives the sound a neutralish bright sound signature. Upper mids/lower treble are within my tolerances with full foams, but can be hot with the silicone covers. Bass is quite neutral with this on. (The dot to differentiate the different tuning modules is very very tiny and easy to miss, but this is the preinstalled option).

Capture2.PNG

There's another pair of tuning modules in the box, it gives the sound a mild V shaped tuning. I installed this module cause I like my bass, but even with this, the subbass extends quite deep for a earbud but in terms of quantity is a bit anemic much like most other earbuds. Don't be expecting SMABAT ST10 type subbass quantities. Slight midbass bleed present but I like the added warmth in the lower mids with this module on.

See this video on how to install the tuning modules:

Capture4.PNG

Now to complicate matters, there is an option to install different driver units for the M2 Pro. The M2 Pro's Stock driver is a 15.4 mm dome titanium driver, but one can buy aftermarket full sized titanium unit, dome titanium membrane or even the ST10S black gold driver (these are not included in the box and u might need soldering skills to install these) (they can be bought from the SMABAT Aliexpress shop separately, details below in the pictures).

U can see this video on soldering and installing the driver units:

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

Capture7.PNG

I think the SMABAT M2 Pro may indeed be the first earbud to incorporate this modular concept for different tuning modules and driver units, it would make DIYers very happy and give a wealth of tuning options, in addition to using the silicone covers/full foams. Sound quality is very good for a midfi earbud too (though the basshead in me would have liked more subbass). Timbre is great like other buds, vocals sound great without being overbearing on the tuning module type 1. Will do some burn in and leave a formal review soon.

EDIT: the above was tested with just a humble smartphone. With amping, the M2 Pro scales better, with deeper subbass extension and better dynamics.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #48,619 of 75,861
I just received a review unit of the SMABAT M2 Pro. This little earbud packs a ton of innovative ideas with regards to customizing its sound signature (see below).

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-03 at 20.28.47.jpeg

It comes with a silver plated MMCX cable, very well braided and of high quality. MMCX are easy to connect and disconnect (I know the first batch of SMABAT ST10 has MMCX issues). Like the predecessor SMABAT models, this M2 Pro can be worn over ear or cable down, and is light and comfortable.
It comes with a silicone cover and full foams. I find the full foams gives a warmer sound (though with slight loss of details) whereas the silicone covers makes the sound clearer and brighter with better microdetails. The upper mids/lower treble can get a bit hot with the silicone covers though, but I'm treble sensitive, so YMMV, and the basshead in me prefers the full foams.

So with regard to customizing the sound signature, other than the full foams vs silicone covers influencing the sound, the sound can also have multiple permutations:
Capture1.PNG
It comes with 2 pairs of tuning modules in the box (the white circular thing in this picture). There's an option to get 3 aftermarket dome units/drivers (these are not included in the box and can be purchased separately).

Capture2.PNG
The default tuning module which is preinstalled gives the sound a neutralish bright sound signature. Upper mids/lower treble are within my tolerances with full foams, but can be hot with the silicone covers. Bass is quite neutral with this on.

Capture3.PNG
There's another pair of tuning modules in the box (the dot is very very tiny and easy to miss), but with this tuning module on, it gives the sound a mild V shaped tuning. I installed this module cause I like my bass, but even with this, the subbass is a bit anemic much like most other earbuds. Don't be expecting SMABAT ST10 type subbass. Slight midbass bleed present but I like the added warmth in the lower mids with this module on.

See this video on how to install the tuning modules:

Capture4.PNG

Now to complicate matters, there is an option to install different driver units for the M2 Pro. The M2 Pro's Stock driver is a 15.4 mm dome titanium driver, but one can buy aftermarket full sized titanium unit, dome titanium membrane or even the ST10S black gold driver (these are not included in the box and u might need soldering skills to install these) (they can be bought from the SMABAT Aliexpress shop separately, details below in the pictures).

U can see this video on soldering and installing the driver units:

Capture5.PNG
Capture6.PNG
Capture7.PNG

I think the SMABAT M2 Pro may indeed be the first earbud to incorporate this modular concept for different tuning modules and driver units, it would make DIYers very happy and give a wealth of tuning options, in addition to using the silicone covers/full foams. Sound quality is very good for a midfi earbud too (though the basshead in me would have liked more subbass). Timbre is great like other buds, vocals sound great without being overbearing on the tuning module type 1. Will do some burn in and leave a formal review soon.

Would love a comparison with the st10

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #48,620 of 75,861
Would love a comparison with the st10

K, I read that there may be a retuned version of the ST10? Some say that it has different sound signature after they fixed the first batch with MMCX issues. Not sure which batch I got as I bought my ST10 second hand.

Yep and there are many possible permutations involved though in the M2 Pro's tuning! Too many options! It can be warm and bassy or more neutral and analytical depending on foam/silicone cover or tuning module used. And I initially tested the above M2 Pro with a smartphone, seems it scales better with amping, with better subbass extension and dynamics, so I think amping really lets it shine.

I'll do some more detailed A/B testing with the M2 Pro over the coming week, but FWIW, I just did a brief A/B using M2 Pro with full foams and tuning module 0 (ie V shaped). M2 Pro has better fit than ST10. I think M2 Pro has slightly thicker note weight but sounds more analoguish. The SMABAT ST10's bass is punchier and tighter. With amping, both sets have quite good subbass extension for a bud, maybe SMABAT ST10 has slightly more subbass quantity. M2 Pro has a slight midbass bleed with this tuning module 0 which obscures the mids a bit. Mids are slightly more detailed on SMABAT ST10. Technicalities are very close, will need to do some detailed comparisons to see which is better.

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #48,621 of 75,861
K, I read that there may be a retuned version of the ST10? Some say that it has different sound signature after they fixed the first batch with MMCX issues. Not sure which batch I got as I bought my ST10 second hand.

Yep and there are many possible permutations involved though in the M2 Pro's tuning! Too many options! It can be warm and bassy or more neutral and analytical depending on foam/silicone cover or tuning module used. And I initially tested the above M2 Pro with a smartphone, seems it scales better with amping, with better subbass extension and dynamics, so I think amping really lets it shine.

I'll do some more detailed A/B testing with the M2 Pro over the coming week, but FWIW, I just did a brief A/B using M2 Pro with full foams and tuning module 0 (ie V shaped). M2 Pro has better fit than ST10. I think M2 Pro has slightly thicker note weight but sounds more analoguish. The SMABAT ST10's bass is punchier and tighter. With amping, both sets have quite good subbass extension for a bud, maybe SMABAT ST10 has slightly more subbass quantity. M2 Pro has a slight midbass bleed with this tuning module 0 which obscures the mids a bit. Mids are slightly more detailed on SMABAT ST10. Technicalities are very close, will need to do some detailed comparisons to see which is better.
Many thanks! Oh man, that does sound good. My only gripe with the black golds were the slightly thin mids and light note weight, the m2pro is starting to sound really promising. Sighhh 💸💸💸

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #48,622 of 75,861
Many thanks! Oh man, that does sound good. My only gripe with the black golds were the slightly thin mids and light note weight, the m2pro is starting to sound really promising. Sighhh 💸💸💸

Wow do u think it is worth it to buy the ST10S Black gold if you already own the original ST10?

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #48,623 of 75,861
Hey everyone, my ST10s golds are experiencing parasitic buzz when playing the headphone shaker from audiocheck (https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php)
Any way to make it go away? I don't want to damage the earbuds by blowing into them or something :frowning2: Bought my pair from MissAudio store on aliexpress and the seller started blaming the source even after i mentioned that I've tested this both with my PC and Shanling M5s.

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #48,624 of 75,861
Hey everyone, my ST10s golds are experiencing parasitic buzz when playing the headphone shaker from audiocheck (https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php)
Any way to make it go away? I don't want to damage the earbuds by blowing into them or something :frowning2: Bought my pair from MissAudio store on aliexpress and the seller started blaming the source even after i mentioned that I've tested this both with my PC and Shanling M5s.
Did you try to clean to plug and connector ?

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #48,625 of 75,861
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #48,626 of 75,861
Hello guys, has anyone tried these Openheart earbuds?

FENGRU Diy PT52 and FENGRU Diy PT32 its the same without cable?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #48,627 of 75,861
Wow do u think it is worth it to buy the ST10S Black gold if you already own the original ST10?
I actually haven't heard the original st10, just going based off comparisons between the st10 and st10s from others. I personally would skip the st10s unless you really love the smabat bass extension and don't mind a slightly odd tonality though the mids. The original st10 from impressions seem to have better timbre though the mids despite being thinner sounding. From what I heard from the the st10s, I gather the sweet spot for the smabat stuff is likely the $50-100 range, that's why I'm pretty keen on the m2pro haha

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #48,628 of 75,861
FENGRU Diy PT52 and FENGRU Diy PT32 its the same without cable?

Do you know for sure? Because those are generic shells. I could buy those shells and some different driver and call them ‘slater audio x99‘. Externally, they would look the same. But the driver and tuning could be very different.

Also, the sensitivity is different between the PT32, PT52, and the openheart. This leads me to believe they’re all using different drivers.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #48,629 of 75,861

Only on the headphone shaker test? Fine with regular music?

Does it go away if you turn the volume down? If so the driver could be touching the cover if it has enough extension/power.

There could be debris or a hair stuck inside the cover rattling against the driver. You could try facing the driver down and shaking the earbud while it plays a bass heavy song to see if you can get it out.

Blowing or sucking lightly shouldn't damage the drivers. But since if it already has a problem it is worth a shot.

Aug 4, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #48,630 of 75,861
Hi there

I would like to get my first earbuds.
Is Toneking Tomahawk a good start point or I could get something better at the same price range ($30) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back