Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 10, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #48,196 of 75,297
Man, that is disappointing. I had wanted to grab some Moonbuds at one point but I am sticking to my guns on MMCX or bust. This is a pretty good example of a problem that MMCX could fix--though it would not fix the poor sound quality. Honestly, after having purchased a pair of Willsounds that sounded so bad I literally threw them in the trash, I'm pretty much done on playing Russian Roulette with my wallet.

I wouldnt say you need to only MMCX as the only MMCX earbuds I have ( toneking to400s ) had one driver die before the cable. If its bad quality its bad quality.

For example looking at this review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moonbuds-cresent.23215/reviews , the Moonbuds costed 100$ and "If you want a great musical earbud for a reasonable money, then the Moonbuds Crescent is for you.". Reasonable money? What a joke, my tuned up and recabled vido sounds better than them for 12$.

Only "boutique" store I would buy from is Cypherus Audio and even there I am not fully satisfied with the quality of the cable, at least he supposedly makes the drivers himself but I cannot test that as he uses a very strong glue and you will destroy the driver in the process.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #48,197 of 75,297
Just wanted to share my impressions of the ST-10s black golds. Really impressive staging and bass response. As others have pointed out about all the ST-10 variants the bass extension is phenomenal. Though there is a slight bit of bass bloom, overall bass resolution is still very good. Resolution through the mids is fantastic, but there is a hump somewhere the skews timbre a bit and does make some instruments sound unnatural, but for the most part I don't consider it a major issue. Treble is my favourite part about this earbud smooth in presentation while still retaining good shimmer and resolution. Respectable extension as well.

All in all, aside from the slight timbral issues, the black golds are extremely technically competent and are an impressive listen. Would definitely recommend giving them a listen if you have the opportunity.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #48,198 of 75,297
Just arrived! My 2nd pair of earbuds after the Vido which I bought last year just for fun because it was so cheap, but ended up actually using it frequently at home. Saw this being mentioned in another thread before it was merged here and the design is right up my alley. Read some reviews and took the plunge. Liking it so far. Sound signature is more to my taste compared to the warmer sounding Vidos. :beyersmile:

0dHgHrh.png

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #48,199 of 75,297
Just arrived! My 2nd pair of earbuds after the Vido which I bought last year just for fun because it was so cheap, but ended up actually using it frequently at home. Saw this being mentioned in another thread before it was merged here and the design is right up my alley. Read some reviews and took the plunge. Liking it so far. Sound signature is more to my taste compared to the warmer sounding Vidos. :beyersmile:

0dHgHrh.png
Enjoy, these earbuds were promptly swiped from me not once but twice by my wife and then daughter upon arrival!

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #48,203 of 75,297
20200611_195229.jpg
Ur right, they're kind of thick, so when out n about I use a repurposed cheap sporty bud earhooks... 😅. But I have no problem with it when listening at home...
How long did they take to ship?

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #48,204 of 75,297
OK....so i am totally new to earbuds. After asking for some advice recently i thought i would test the earbud water, and the FAAEAL Iris 2.0 arrived today.

For $6 I am genuinely, and i mean genuinely, shocked as to how good they sound.....and not only that but i liked the whole pop-in-ear utility while still being to hear ambient sounds.....So i'm now wondering whether i will prefer proper earbuds to proper iems??? Hmmmmm.

To this end i asked around again for some new budget ones to get in the sale and am looking at FAAEAL snow lotus 1.0+ 64ohm commemorative edition. RY4S also possibility.

But now i am thinking whether i should stop messing around with, albeit very good, entry models and just jump to mid-teir.....something along the lines of the Smabat st-10s black/gold version?

So, any advice please from those who have travelled this earbud scaling ladder. Thanks! :)

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #48,205 of 75,297
OK....so i am totally new to earbuds. After asking for some advice recently i thought i would test the earbud water, and the FAAEAL Iris 2.0 arrived today.

For $6 I am genuinely, and i mean genuinely, shocked as to how good they sound.....and not only that but i liked the whole pop-in-ear utility while still being to hear ambient sounds.....So i'm now wondering whether i will prefer proper earbuds to proper iems??? Hmmmmm.

To this end i asked around again for some new budget ones to get in the sale and am looking at FAAEAL snow lotus 1.0+ 64ohm commemorative edition. RY4S also possibility.

But now i am thinking whether i should stop messing around with, albeit very good, entry models and just jump to mid-teir.....something along the lines of the Smabat st-10s black/gold version?

So, any advice please from those who have travelled this earbud scaling ladder. Thanks! :)
Welcome aboard :joy:

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #48,206 of 75,297
Welcome aboard :joy:
I quickly cancelled my bargain ER3SE order ($99) from amazon.com
i figured money was going to be required for this new ear bud money-hole :ksc75smile:

The Azla Azel was already shipped, but then i bought it for the tips anyhow! :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #48,207 of 75,297

If you want to step up to mid/high tier buds, then the smart thing to do might be to try out the lower priced ones first. To find out which shell type fits you the best (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3207#post-15645387) and then after you know which type is best for you. Jump straight up to the buds around 100 usd.

Or if you are dumb and impatient like me, just get one of the expensive ones like the DQSM Turandot on the upcoming aliexpress sale :joy:

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #48,208 of 75,297

Welcome and better take care of your wallet! Earbuds are a totally different ball game from IEMs and headphones. Good news is that they seem to be relatively cheaper than IEMs and cans, though perhaps they suffer at isolation and possibly subbass. @RikudouGoku is right, better find something that fits you first before u dig deeper down the earbuds rabbithole.

If u are getting the RY4S, do note there are a few variants:
- regular RY4S 32 ohm
- RY4S 32 ohm plus ---> bassier version of the RY4S 32 ohm regular. So so for the price of $8ish USD, the midbass and subbass is quite good for a bud. Though the bass is boomy with midbass bleed (and ain't tight). Upper mids a bit hot.
- RY4S 300 ohm plus ---> much more balanced than the 32 ohm plus, less midbass quantity and subbass extension but the bass is tight and accurate with no midbass bleed. There may be a tinge of spiciness in the upper mids but it is more managable for me than the 32 ohm plus. Techincalities are quite good, though it needs amping as the impedance suggests.

I don't have the SMABAT ST10S black gold/black silver, but I have the regular SMABAT ST10 and it is my most used bud now. Great subbass extension for a bud and good technicalities. Fit may be a problem if u have smaller ears, but it can be worn cable up or down so do explore.

Something like the BK2 is also not bad for $21 USD, well balanced, above average technicalities, though soundstage is weak and bass is a bit light for me.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #48,209 of 75,297
If you want to step up to mid/high tier buds, then the smart thing to do might be to try out the lower priced ones first. To find out which shell type fits you the best (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3207#post-15645387) and then after you know which type is best for you. Jump straight up to the buds around 100 usd.

Or if you are dumb and impatient like me, just get one of the expensive ones like the DQSM Turandot on the upcoming aliexpress sale :joy:
The Turandot looks certainly looks nice, but for that kind of money i would have to have detachable cable....i'd just be nervous all the time! :D

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #48,210 of 75,297
The Turandot looks certainly looks nice, but for that kind of money i would have to have detachable cable....i'd just be nervous all the time! :D
yeah, that would be great if it had replaceable cable. But for my use, non-detachable earbuds arent as bad as non-detachable iems because I only use my buds at home so the risk of damage is very low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back