Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #48,226 of 75,259
I recently jumped on the earbud wagon and from what I can tell is that the biggest shock factor is found in the $6 to $16. After that, value diminishes rapidly. I started with the commemorative snow lotus then picked up a Pk2. The Pk2 isn't worth the money, given how good the snow lotus sounds. I still like the Pk2 and listen to them frequently.

I'm in middle of an interminable wait for the Rambo II and smabat black/silver.

Comparing iems to earbuds:
- great value / great sound
IEMs = 30 to 50 dollars
Earbuds = $5 to $20

- near totl sound / strong value
IEMs = $100 to $200
Earbuds = $50 to $100

- totl / price to value ratio
IEMs = $1000+
Earbuds = $300 to $400
I think some would even argue that the "Great Value/Great Sound" tier level begins much, much lower at around $8-9 for something like the exceptionally good NICEHCK B40 and that "Custom TOTL" tier level earbuds are now starting at around $150-$200.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #48,227 of 75,259
Compared to ST-10, ST-10S is slightly less neutral in frequency distribution with a reduction in treble, giving a fainted sense of warmth and smooth. Soundstage has improved but mainly on layering / position - I see these more like trade-off rather than improvement, so basically they remain largely the same technically but tuned differently. So if you love the original ST-10, then perhaps ST-10S is not the direct upgrade you are looking for. But if you find ST-10 a bit too bright, then ST-10S might worth a try.

ST-10S Black Gold however is more like a fully opened up ST-10S, reminds me a lot of Sennheiser HD600. (*though I have not listened to HD600 for awhile, so takes it with a grain of salt). Between the two, I'll definitely recommend Black Gold first and I'll consider it as a proper upgrade of the original ST-10. It is harder to drive though, so you want to make sure you have a decent source first.
Do you think the st-10s black gold would be an upgrade over the Liebesleid?

Jun 12, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #48,228 of 75,259
Do you think the st-10s black gold would be an upgrade over the Liebesleid?
In what manner/way? For improved bass and impact yes but for improved mid-range (vocals only) and highs most likely not. It also would be dependent on music genre and typical listening level.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #48,229 of 75,259
Thanks for the headsup, very interesting, haven't heard of this model.

I'm treble sensitive, but if the store graph is legit, it looks like the treble is missing!

Capture.PNG
Dont't mind the graphs, the are basically useless for the end user. Only useful for those who have a point of reference with the same measurement setup. These are basically measured in unnatural conditions (probably perfect seal which is even hard to achieve with iems) and then they even applied a compensation curve which is totally bonkers because its not designed for these stuff. (Also this is why the treble seems rolled off, its just the adjustment curve applied) But most manufacturers do this, so for them it's valueable, you can see similar graph with diy speakers as well. But don't try to read this as anything remotely similar to what it sounds like.

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #48,230 of 75,259
Last night I think I discovered the perfect scenario, for me personally, when I will use earbuds.

After the children had gone to bed and the house was quiet, I was chillaxing on the sofa, mentally winding down for an hour or two before going to sleep.....

Normally I would be listening to iems, but I often find their sound too intense for that time of night.......last night listening to the faaeal iris 2.0 for the first time with no ambient noise..... It was so relaxing....the perception of a large soundstage like you are wearing headphones (but without the uncomfortable weight or awkwardness of large headphones), and with a gentle balanced sound that wasn't too stimulating. I felt like I could lay there forever..... This was a new audiophile feeling for me. And once again I was feeling shocked by the sound quality of $6 earbuds.

So, once again, where do I go from here? I think I need to cater towards the situation I had last night....smooth or warm balanced sound profile.... nothing too peaky or intrusive. Some warming bass would have been nice.... Not sub-bass of course.

As I wrote last night but before I had proper time to digest that relaxing experience, currently looking at snow lotus commemorative and ME80 but I'm all ears to any suggestion for warm earbuds with better technicalities that will be good for jazz and classical and rock? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #48,231 of 75,259
Last night I think I discovered the perfect scenario, for me personally, when I will use earbuds.

After the children had gone to bed and the house was quiet, I was chillaxing on the sofa, mentally winding down for an hour or two before going to sleep.....

Normally I would be listening to iems, but I often find their sound too intense for that time of night.......last night listening to the faaeal iris 2.0 for the first time with no ambient noise..... It was so relaxing....the perception of a large soundstage like you are wearing headphones (but without the uncomfortable weight or awkwardness of large headphones), and with a gentle balanced sound that wasn't too stimulating. I felt like I could lay there forever..... This was a new audiophile feeling for me. And once again I was feeling shocked for the sound quality of $6 earbuds.

So, once again, where do I go from here? I think I need to cater towards the situation I had last night....smooth or warm balanced sound profile.... nothing too peaky or intrusive. Some warming bass would have been nice.... Not sub-bass of course.

As I wrote last night but before I had proper time to digest that a bad experience, currently looking at snow lotus commemorative and ME80 but I'm all here's to any suggestion for warm earbuds with better technicalities that will be good for jazz and classical and rock.
For the next step up, I would recommend the faaeal datura pro. I think it fits your signature preference and I feel both the sound quality and build quality are extremely solid for the price.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #48,232 of 75,259

Normally I would be listening to iems, but I often find their sound too intense for that time of night.......last night listening to the faaeal iris 2.0 for the first time with no ambient noise..... It was so relaxing....the perception of a large soundstage like you are wearing headphones (but without the uncomfortable weight or awkwardness of large headphones), and with a gentle balanced sound that wasn't too stimulating. I felt like I could lay there forever..... This was a new audiophile feeling for me. And once again I was feeling shocked by the sound quality of $6 earbuds.

As I wrote last night but before I had proper time to digest that relaxing experience, currently looking at snow lotus commemorative and ME80 but I'm all ears to any suggestion for warm earbuds with better technicalities that will be good for jazz and classical and rock? Thanks.

Yes you can try the FAAEAL Datura Pro as @cenizas said. About $20ish. Nice timbre and a midcentric gem. I like it for jazz and classical. Just that the subbass and higher treble is quite rolled off so it is not the best for bass forward music, but it takes to EQ quite well if u wish to EQ the bass up.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #48,233 of 75,259
Yes you can try the FAAEAL Datura Pro as @cenizas said. About $20ish. Nice timbre and a midcentric gem. I like it for jazz and classical. Just that the subbass and higher treble is quite rolled off so it is not the best for bass forward music, but it takes to EQ quite well if u wish to EQ the bass up.
Great, thanks guys. It's in the basket!

If i have both the iris 2.0 and datura pro is there any merit in also getting the commemorative snow lotus now? is there anything it is doing that i cant get with the other two? thanks.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #48,234 of 75,259
I've literally spent the last 4 hours covering all earbuds forums....I'm tired, lol.

I can either jump straight to sambat st10s gold....or test further with entry stuff like the commemorative snow lotus and the me80....or I could also try mid tier sambat st10 45 ohm green.

I generally prefer warm, analogue type sound, for classical and choral, jazz, classic 70s/80s pop/rock, the usual.

The Smabat and ME80 won't be suitable for you, they are both clean sounding.

If by warm analogue sound, you are thinking of vinyl, or the analogue sound you get from older classical recordings, particularly from the 1950-70s period, I think you should try the Monk Plus or Monk Plus SPC. Both have lovely warm analogue sounding mids, a moment ago I was listening to a few Sibelius symphonies with Vanska as conductor, with the Smabat ST-10, technically they are great, expansive soundstage, I can hear all the details in the music but something is missing, it all sounds a bit sterile.

I switch to the Monk Plus SPC and it's like a switch has been flicked, I am enjoying the music much more now and it is down to the Monk's mids. Sure the Monks cannot technically match many of the recent earbuds from the past year or so but I don't care, everytime I go back to my Monks they put a smile on my face.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #48,235 of 75,259
I think some would even argue that the "Great Value/Great Sound" tier level begins much, much lower at around $8-9 for something like the exceptionally good NICEHCK B40 and that "Custom TOTL" tier level earbuds are now starting at around $150-$200.
Actually, yes I agree with you. I forgot the gentleman on Facebook who builds custom totl earbuds. I would assume those are pretty much endgame for earbuds.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #48,237 of 75,259
Great, thanks guys. It's in the basket!

If i have both the iris 2.0 and datura pro is there any merit in also getting the commemorative snow lotus now? is there anything it is doing that i cant get with the other two? thanks.
I can't speak for that variant but I have the snow lotus 1+ and while it is warm in overall tone, there is a bit of glare in the upper mids that makes vocals sound a bit strained. I also find the datura pro to be technically superior, so personally I'd be fine with giving the snow lotus a pass.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #48,238 of 75,259
Jun 13, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #48,239 of 75,259
Hi everyone. I am a complete noob in earphones. They piqued my interest a month ago and now I want to try some earbuds. I want to buy 3-4 earbuds on this summer sale, my combined budget is 20-25$. I want to try different sound signatures to get a feel as to which one suits me better, so please give me as diversified list as you can. Here's a list I made seeing the post in this thread but I am not sure which to pick from here to cover a lot of signatures. Thanks in advance. :relaxed:

1.Nicehck ME80
2.Yincrow X6
3.Nicehck B40
4.Faaeal Snow-Lotus 1.0 plus commemorative
5.Faaeal Snow-Lotus 1.0
6.Faaeal Iris 2.0
7.Headroom MS16
8.Fengru Tingo TC200
9.VE Monk Plus
10.Vido
11. RY4S plus

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #48,240 of 75,259
please give me as diversified list as you can.

RY4S Plus
Yincrow X6
Qian25
Qian69
Fengru EMX500
Vido White or Red
VE Monk
TinGo TC200

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back