Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #48,211 of 75,271
Welcome and better take care of your wallet! Earbuds are a totally different ball game from IEMs and headphones. Good news is that they seem to be relatively cheaper than IEMs and cans, though perhaps they suffer at isolation and possibly subbass. @RikudouGoku is right, better find something that fits you first before u dig deeper down the earbuds rabbithole.

If u are getting the RY4S, do note there are a few variants:
- regular RY4S 32 ohm
- RY4S 32 ohm plus ---> bassier version of the RY4S 32 ohm regular. So so for the price of $8ish USD, the midbass and subbass is quite good for a bud. Though the bass is boomy with midbass bleed (and ain't tight). Upper mids a bit hot.
- RY4S 300 ohm plus ---> much more balanced than the 32 ohm plus, less midbass quantity and subbass extension but the bass is tight and accurate with no midbass bleed. There may be a tinge of spiciness in the upper mids but it is more managable for me than the 32 ohm plus. Techincalities are quite good, though it needs amping as the impedance suggests.

I don't have the SMABAT ST10S black gold/black silver, but I have the regular SMABAT ST10 and it is my most used bud now. Great subbass extension for a bud and good technicalities. Fit may be a problem if u have smaller ears, but it can be worn cable up or down so do explore.

Something like the BK2 is also not bad for $21 USD, well balanced, above average technicalities, though soundstage is weak and bass is a bit light for me.
Thanks.

Ok, learning your personal fit size makes perfect sense, of course.

so the Iris 2.0 fit fine and they are 15.4mm.....if i get the snow lotus 1.0+ they are also 15.4mm so i don't learn anything new.

The smabat are also 15.4mm.....am i missing something here or do some earbuds come in larger sizes than 15.4mm? Thanks.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #48,212 of 75,271
Thanks.

Ok, learning your personal fit size makes perfect sense, of course.

so the Iris 2.0 fit fine and they are 15.4mm.....if i get the snow lotus 1.0+ they are also 15.4mm so i don't learn anything new.

The smabat are also 15.4mm.....am i missing something here or do some earbuds come in larger sizes than 15.4mm? Thanks.
check baskingsharks post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3207#post-15645387

You can see the different shell types.

The Smabat is using type 4 shells and the Iris is using either 1 or 2 (im unsure which one) so they are completely different.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #48,214 of 75,271
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #48,215 of 75,271
Aha!

Thanks.

Ok, so i also had MS16 in my cart, which is bell-shaped type 3?

So i need to find a cheap but decent type 4 to mimic the Smabat fit.....any suggestions guys?
NiceHCK ME80 kinda looks similar, but im not sure.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #48,216 of 75,271
NiceHCK ME80 kinda looks similar, but im not sure.

Kinda close. There aren't any cheap matching bud that I can recall that are the same as the Smabat.

This is because they are thin in how they slot into the ear. If you can wear mx500 style shell, then there will be no issues. With how thin they are comfort wise they are between the mx500 and smaller PK shell.

@prionsarebad this means since the snow lotus fits (mx500 style) the Smabat should too

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #48,217 of 75,271
I quickly cancelled my bargain ER3SE order ($99) from amazon.com
i figured money was going to be required for this new ear bud money-hole :ksc75smile:

The Azla Azel was already shipped, but then i bought it for the tips anyhow! :dt880smile:
Good call since you picked the warmest sounding ety, which means you will be even more predisposed towards loving earbuds!

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #48,218 of 75,271
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #48,219 of 75,271
Have you tried this? Looks interesting, one of my online friends said nice things about it (balanced with very good vocals and wide soundstage) At shoppee the listing claims that it uses Foster speakers. The shell looks like an unusual modification of the mx500 shell.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000926521703.html
https://shopee.com.my/🎁Ocean-Pearl-OP139-Foster-MX500-tuning-tri-band-balanced-Earphone-i.15414210.4615315373

Thanks for the headsup, very interesting, haven't heard of this model.

I'm treble sensitive, but if the store graph is legit, it looks like the treble is missing!

Capture.PNG

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #48,220 of 75,271

I'm treble sensitive, but if the store graph is legit, it looks like the treble is missing!

You're probably interpreting it wrong. Earbud graphs read drastically different than IEM graphs.

Graph courtesy of @cqtek
10291462.png

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #48,221 of 75,271

To be honest, I'm beginning to think that curve in general is pretty common with earbuds but I've only graphed the snow lotus and Pk2. I think earbuds are also generally warmer compared to iems, particularly lately with everyone seeming to go after harman target.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #48,222 of 75,271
OK....so i am totally new to earbuds. After asking for some advice recently i thought i would test the earbud water, and the FAAEAL Iris 2.0 arrived today.

For $6 I am genuinely, and i mean genuinely, shocked as to how good they sound.....and not only that but i liked the whole pop-in-ear utility while still being to hear ambient sounds.....So i'm now wondering whether i will prefer proper earbuds to proper iems??? Hmmmmm.

To this end i asked around again for some new budget ones to get in the sale and am looking at FAAEAL snow lotus 1.0+ 64ohm commemorative edition. RY4S also possibility.

But now i am thinking whether i should stop messing around with, albeit very good, entry models and just jump to mid-teir.....something along the lines of the Smabat st-10s black/gold version?

So, any advice please from those who have travelled this earbud scaling ladder. Thanks! :)

I recently jumped on the earbud wagon and from what I can tell is that the biggest shock factor is found in the $6 to $16. After that, value diminishes rapidly. I started with the commemorative snow lotus then picked up a Pk2. The Pk2 isn't worth the money, given how good the snow lotus sounds. I still like the Pk2 and listen to them frequently.

I'm in middle of an interminable wait for the Rambo II and smabat black/silver.

Comparing iems to earbuds:
- great value / great sound
IEMs = 30 to 50 dollars
Earbuds = $5 to $20

- near totl sound / strong value
IEMs = $100 to $200
Earbuds = $50 to $100

- totl / low price to value ratio
IEMs = $1000+
Earbuds = $300 to $400

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #48,223 of 75,271
I recently jumped on the earbud wagon and from what I can tell is that the biggest shock factor is found in the $6 to $16. After that, value diminishes rapidly. I started with the commemorative snow lotus then picked up a Pk2. The Pk2 isn't worth the money, given how good the snow lotus sounds. I still like the Pk2 and listen to them frequently.

I'm in middle of an interminable wait for the Rambo II and smabat black/silver.

Comparing iems to earbuds:
- great value / great sound
IEMs = 30 to 50 dollars
Earbuds = $5 to $20

- near totl sound / strong value
IEMs = $100 to $200
Earbuds = $50 to $100

- totl / price to value ratio
IEMs = $1000+
Earbuds = $300 to $400
I've literally spent the last 4 hours covering all earbuds forums....I'm tired, lol.

I can either jump straight to sambat st10s gold....or test further with entry stuff like the commemorative snow lotus and the me80....or I could also try mid tier sambat st10 45 ohm green.

I generally prefer warm, analogue type sound, for classical and choral, jazz, classic 70s/80s pop/rock, the usual.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #48,224 of 75,271
I've literally spent the last 4 hours covering all earbuds forums....I'm tired, lol.

I can either jump straight to sambat st10s gold....or test further with entry stuff like the commemorative snow lotus and the me80....or I could also try mid tier sambat st10 45 ohm green.

I generally prefer warm, analogue type sound, for classical and choral, jazz, classic 70s/80s pop/rock, the usual.

The Smabat's are neutral (st-10) or near neutral (st-10s) and if you are looking for a warm signature not what I would recommend.

The best warm bud I've heard is the K's LB or LBB (little bell or little black bell).

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #48,225 of 75,271

I was going to suggest the Sabia V7. I've been listening to them quite a bit over the last few months, and I think you'd like them as they satisfy my analogue and warm requirements as well. But I just checked, and sadly they are out of stock:
http://www.rholupat.com/sabia-v7.html

Maybe they can be found elsewhere, but I'm not sure.

So, I won't recommend them to you lol. But, the Snow Lotus's and the ME80's are great as well, and I think you'll enjoy them, so you could just play around with them for a while before making your big Smabat purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back