Earbuds Round-Up
May 1, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #47,716 of 75,270
Can someone please recommend earphone with tangle free cable and microphone?

Sabbat x12 if you want truly tangle free.

Headroom MS16 has a hard to tangle cable. You might still want to lightly loop it like this if you don't use a case...

IMG_20200501_193026603.jpg

May 1, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #47,718 of 75,270
Just to check with the rest of you friends, do u guys and gals prefer earbud cables with an inbuilt mic (if you have a choice from the seller)?

I don't have measuring gear, but I've seen some of my friends reproduce some increased resistance in the side of the IEM/earbud cables with a mic. And it may be a potential source of failure in the signal chain down the line, plus some sellers charge a dollar or two more for buds with mics. Though I know some of us need the mic for work and chat purposes, and to make the bud more multipurpose as such.

May 1, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #47,719 of 75,270
Just to check with the rest of you friends, do u guys and gals prefer earbud cables with an inbuilt mic (if you have a choice from the seller)?
I recabled several earbuds as a headset for my LG smartphone with a DAC. Used these cables. If you want a microphone closer to the chin, you can shorten the wire a little.

May 1, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #47,720 of 75,270
I gotta agree MMCX tend to have shorter lifespan than 2 pin connectors. Best to just leave a cable on an MMCX type bud/IEM and don't do frequent cable rolling if possible.

But then 2 pin connectors have their own issues such as recessed/elevated housing, QDC/TFZ variants, 0.75 and 0.78 mm variants, angled and non angled variants. And some audio companies have semi proprietary 2 pin types even.

Although we are venting a lot on non detachable cables in TOTL/midfi buds/IEMs, actually looking at the bigger picture, the way CHIFI moves so fast with multiple hypetrains coming out on a monthly (sometimes weekly) basis, in all likelihood we would have bought a new hypetrain by the time the cable of the existing one dies haha.

MMCX are not meant to experience multiple insertions. There is a tool that is used for disconnection but that is really meant for repairs, again, not for multiple insertions. Using the tool will likely increase the lifespan of the connector.

May 1, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #47,721 of 75,270
MMCX is not meant for audio, period.

May 1, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #47,722 of 75,270
MMCX are not meant to experience multiple insertions. There is a tool that is used for disconnection but that is really meant for repairs, again, not for multiple insertions. Using the tool will likely increase the lifespan of the connector.

I'm not sure about that. There is also a problem with the free rotation of mmcx, and more of the metal is exposed for oxidation. Poor QC on cheap mmcx means they can actually just get pulled out from a tug, or the solder wires can come loose.

Overall when dealing with a product you know will have poor QC (like from Aliexpress), I feel wired is safer than mmcx.

May 1, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #47,723 of 75,270
I'm not sure about that. There is also a problem with the free rotation of mmcx, and more of the metal is exposed for oxidation. Poor QC on cheap mmcx means they can actually just get pulled out from a tug, or the solder wires can come loose.

Overall when dealing with a product you know will have poor QC (like from Aliexpress), I feel wired is safer than mmcx.
Thing is, in theory, a detachable cable housing molded directly to the shell has the potential to be much stronger than any fully wired set which will eventually just break down. I don't care about testing different wires, I just want to be able to replace one when it inevitably breaks like my BK wire broke (luckily I had an engineer friend on hand to fix it).

May 1, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #47,724 of 75,270
Rambo II ordered and it comes free with an additional $50 cable (last day for cable promo - 1st May). Too good to pass.

Argh.... Missed it. It's May 1st still in the US, but not where Penon Audio is located. :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #47,725 of 75,270

Having sold this type, manufactured in China, I can tell you that QC can be non-existent. I have have had million $ returns, had them replace and still had to process another return. You tell the factory what is wrong with them and that it needs to be fixes fast and reshipped. The factory says "YES" and then ships product from the same batch with the same issues.

May 1, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #47,726 of 75,270
May 1, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #47,729 of 75,270
May 1, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #47,730 of 75,270
Having sold this type, manufactured in China, I can tell you that QC can be non-existent. I have have had million $ returns, had them replace and still had to process another return. You tell the factory what is wrong with them and that it needs to be fixes fast and reshipped. The factory says "YES" and then ships product from the same batch with the same issues.

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong type of connector, but when I see something like Campfire's connection to their IEM: https://campfireaudio.com/

I see a connector molded as one with the shell. The strain should all be in the actual cable itself unless you literally throw these things on the ground with hulk-like force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back