Earbuds Round-Up
May 1, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #47,731 of 75,149
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong type of connector, but when I see something like Campfire's connection to their IEM: https://campfireaudio.com/

I see a connector molded as one with the shell. The strain should all be in the actual cable itself unless you literally throw these things on the ground with hulk-like force.

Just check out "Shure se215 mmcx issues" on Google. From free spinning the mmcx eventually started cutting out, even though the mmcx was molded in the body.
It also looks like the mmcx on all those earbuds is not molded in the bud, but just kind of glued on.

I don't see cables add inevitably breaking down. I've had 10 year old cables that still work like new. The secret is just treating the earbud better. If you often get the cables tangled then yeah, they won't last more than a few months. If you get a circular earphones case from the dollar store like this ... https://www.google.com/search?q=ear...hWNE4gKHWHuD9sQ_AUoAXoECA4QAg&biw=360&bih=630 ... And coil the wire around three fingers lightly before putting them in, you cable will never break. You will also have time not having to undue knots everytime you want to listen to music.

At the end of the day, I think a one dollar earphone case to protect 150 dollar earbuds is worth it, much more than relying on a false sense of security you get from mmcx connectors.

May 1, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #47,732 of 75,149
Just check out "Shure se215 mmcx issues" on Google. From free spinning the mmcx eventually started cutting out, even though the mmcx was molded in the body.
It also looks like the mmcx on all those earbuds is not molded in the bud, but just kind of glued on.

I don't see cables add inevitably breaking down. I've had 10 year old cables that still work like new. The secret is just treating the earbud better. If you often get the cables tangled then yeah, they won't last more than a few months. If you get a circular earphones case from the dollar store like this ... https://www.google.com/search?q=ear...hWNE4gKHWHuD9sQ_AUoAXoECA4QAg&biw=360&bih=630 ... And coil the wire around three fingers lightly before putting them in, you cable will never break. You will also have time not having to undue knots everytime you want to listen to music.

At the end of the day, I think a one dollar earphone case to protect 150 dollar earbuds is worth it, much more than relying on a false sense of security you get from mmcx connectors.

I do exactly this with all my good headphones. Still end up with a short in one of the ears after about a year. Funny thing is my cheapo headphones that I just toss around and tug don't seem to break as easily haha.

May 1, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #47,733 of 75,149
I do exactly this with all my good headphones. Still end up with a short in one of the ears after about a year. Funny thing is my cheapo headphones that I just toss around and tug don't seem to break as easily haha.

Wow that's crazy. I literally have never broken a cable since I started doing that. I used to go through a cheap pair a month just throwing them tangled in my pants though.

May 1, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #47,734 of 75,149
FLASH: Most of these are cheap connectors. I sold ones that were recommended for only 5 insertions. CHEAP! Manufacturing tolerances are not tight, and neither are the connectors. Matrox and ATI loved them for the price but they were never meant to be disconnected.

FC37M-FC37F-1.png

May 1, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #47,735 of 75,149
Except for the original ST-10 I've never had a problem with my MMCX earbuds or IEM's (including my original 2012 se215).

I also don't do much swapping (except a/b on occasion) and keep them stored nicely in a case. I never just wrapped them up and stuffed them in a pocket, bag, etc.

With my BT20S now I prefer to use my buds as a TWS setup.

May 1, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #47,736 of 75,149
Except for the original ST-10 I've never had a problem with my MMCX earbuds or IEM's (including my original 2012 se215).

I also don't do much swapping (except a/b on occasion) and keep them stored nicely in a case. I never just wrapped them up and stuffed them in a pocket, bag, etc.

With my BT20S now I prefer to use my buds as a TWS setup.

Speak of the devil...

IMG_20191025_230636991.jpg

May 1, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #47,738 of 75,149
Wow. I... Am.... Shook....

My snow lotus 1.0+'s just came in. I am blown away at the price to performance ratio these things exude. Amazing.

How am I just discovering the world of earbuds just now? Pk2' s will be in next week. Smabat s10 (silver edition) will roll in 2 or 3 weeks from now. Can't wait.

May 2, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #47,739 of 75,149
I know the Headroom MS16 is a budget POS, and that there’s way better buds available. But I dug mine out of the junk drawer due to lockdown boredom and came up with a free upgrade that improves the sound 500%...

I already knew that popping off the mesh ‘grille’ on the back of the MS16 improves the sound. I ran it like that for a long time. The tiny pinholes in the mesh grille are extremely restrictive. When you remove the grille, the sound becomes more dynamic, bass is improved, and the hollow/‘head in a garbage can’ midrange that plagues the stock MS16 is removed. What’s underneath the grille is a vent hole that’s roughly 2mm.

Taking this concept even further, I figured that the MS16 driver would perform better if it had an even larger vent from which to breathe.

So I increased the rear hole to 4.0mm, and sure enough the sound improved considerably.

5A2E44FF-4AD8-4DF0-BC20-6D435A91679C.jpeg

It is very easy to hear the sound difference, because while playing music you can gently cover the hole to varying degrees with very light pressure from your finger (just enough to cover the vent hole but not enough to affect the earbud seal).

It’s still a low end budget earbud, and it has flaws. But it is now much more enjoyable to listen to compared to stock.

Finally, the modded MS16 is pretty heavy on the bass, which overpowers the treble. So doughnut foam allows for more pronounced treble and better overall balance.

The best sound, however, is had by running with no foam at all and wearing the earbud sideways (perpendicular) in the ear.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #47,740 of 75,149
Doh!

Got soldering skills?

I was trying to 'rotate' the bt20s mmcx connectors 180 degrees and broke the wires internally. I had to replace the earhooks.

20190807_182045.jpg
20190807_185558.jpg
20190825_172741.jpg

I've got a lot of soldering stuff, watched a bunch of videos, practiced some, but I'm the worst at soldering.

My test cables look like Frankenstein monster barbed wire. I did accidentally fix my wife's laptop connector once, but I just can't merge cables together to save my life.

May 2, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #47,743 of 75,149
How do people clean their earbuds? Im sure I'm not the only with this issue but I prefer mine foamless, so some of the holes became clogged.

May 2, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #47,744 of 75,149
How do people clean their earbuds? Im sure I'm not the only with this issue but I prefer mine foamless, so some of the holes became clogged.

I soak a microfiber in hydrogen peroxide and go over any spots with earwax stuck in the grill. I let it sit face down for 5 minutes and then wipe it down with a dry microfiber clothe. Always unplug your buds when cleaning. Grill comes out clean, and then I just do an alcohol wipe down on all the surfaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back