Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #47,656 of 75,478
Thanks, I'll go for the BK2.

Question, which I haven't been able to narrow down after searching this thread, are there are recommendations for good tips with earbuds (like there are for IEM's - Comply, Dekoni, Spinfits etc)?

I see a lot of generic foam covers, donut style foam covers and silicone winged eartips on Aliexpress. Wondering what I should try out.

I think there were a few helpful posts here from other headfiers regarding donut foams vs full foams + importance of density of foams:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3067#post-15321503
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3067#post-15321506
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3067#post-15321507

Credit to these guys.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #47,657 of 75,478

Question, which I haven't been able to narrow down after searching this thread, are there are recommendations for good tips with earbuds (like there are for IEM's - Comply, Dekoni, Spinfits etc)?

I see a lot of generic foam covers, donut style foam covers and silicone winged eartips on Aliexpress. Wondering what I should try out.
I have tried nearly everything under the moon when it comes to earbud foams (covers/pads) the past one and a half years. Besides thickness (thin, medium, thick); gauge (small vs large hole); style (full vs. donut); and color (a plethora of available colors... no exaggeration here) I rarely have come across any real major difference between foam brands. Notably, my best foams have been the cheapest ones that I have bought off AliExpress in bulk... go figure! Yes, there have been a few (a very few) that were poorly made but the ultra-common consistency in materials used has led me to believe that only a handful of factories are actually manufacturing them.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #47,658 of 75,478
Maybe the RY4S MMCX type earbuds? I haven't tried them but am interested based on reviews.

Anyways, does anyone know what are the sonic differences between the RY4S 300 ohm version vs normal vs plus? TIA!

I'm also interested to know more about the RY4S (Normal 32ohm vs Plus 32ohm vs 300ohm). I will be driving these of a Samsung Galaxy S10 (and maybe ES100 in the future).

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #47,659 of 75,478

Here's some info:

Foam colors don't matter. Foam density does.

There are iirc about 4 to maybe 6 different density foams. And these are also available as 'donut' style.

In general:

Extra porous/thin = similar to no foams but may retain some bass (cannot verify personally as I never bought these).

Normal thin foams = retains majority of bass but may allow better highs. These can feel itchy.

Normal thicker foams = good all rounders and not itchy.

Extra thick = retains most bass, may muffle mids/highs. Heigi and VE are the thicker ones iirc but I cannot confirm as I haven't purchased them myself.

Extra thin:
10279327.jpg

Thinner foam:
30Pcs-Sponge-Covers-Tips-Black-Soft-Foam-Earbud-Headphone-Ear-pads-Replacement-For-Earphone-MP3-MP4.jpg

Normal/thicker:
HTB1lkFOLFXXXXaVXpXXq6xXFXXXp.jpg

The 'donut' style of all these allows you to retain bass and keep the mids/highs transparent as it seals around the bud, but keeps the driver exposed to your ear canal. Keep in mind, buds may be tuned with foams in mind.

As far as putting them on, well thats down to dexterity. There are a couple tricks that may help.
1st pre stretch the foams in multiple directions.
2nd I like to pinch or pull one side of the opening to over on one side and then work the rest of the foam over.
3rd for full foams, if you can't quite get a good pinch/pull, you can blow in the center hole quickly and it may help puff the foam up.

If you decide to double foam, I would recommend using a pre-installed & fully stretched foam over a new one. It can be done but it is a bit difficult. You may have to use tweezers to position the outer foam.

Here you go:

Store link:
https://trigrain518946.aliexpress.com/store/group/Foam-ear-pads/518946_509998943.html

I've stopped using the thinner foams. The thicker foams are a slightly more dense, softer feeling foam vs the thinner more porous (and somewhat itchy) foams.

These are the thinner ones.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/30P...acement-For-Earphone-MP3-MP4/32909795959.html

These are the thicker ones (identical density/foam, bottom link is just a lot more of them for a good price):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20p...phone-Earpads-Covers-MP3-MP4/32671911259.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50-...ns-bud-Headphone-Covers-Tips/32607003829.html

There is also the VE "ex pack" for earbuds. Select the last 'color' option for it. I've not ordered it (yet), but it has a selection. I'm not sure how their 'thick' foams compare to the above links.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-MONK-earbud-earphone/32417311324.html

Here's closeup pics of the two.

'thicker'
HTB1lkFOLFXXXXaVXpXXq6xXFXXXp.jpg

'thinner'
30Pcs-Sponge-Covers-Tips-Black-Soft-Foam-Earbud-Headphone-Ear-pads-Replacement-For-Earphone-MP3-MP4.jpg

If you want to go almost no foam, there are these as well. I've never tried them as they look super itchy:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ers-Tips-For-Earphone/518946_32881765999.html

10279327.jpg

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #47,660 of 75,478
So there's another aliexpress sale that started today, buds wise I was looking at the SMABAT ST10S black gold and black silver versions.

I spoke to some sellers on Aliexpress, a few can go as low as $120 and $75 USD respectively. Still a bit too pricey for me to pull the trigger, any other cheap and good buds u guys looking at for the sale?

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #47,661 of 75,478
Apr 27, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #47,662 of 75,478
Does anyone know where i can get earbud wings (is that what they're called?) exactly like this, or similar? I guess Aliexpress but a link would be great.

YINYOO BK2.jpg

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #47,663 of 75,478
You should try the Vidos. After recabling mine, I honestly almost regret buying alot of earbuds because of this hobby, since I keep coming for em. Insane sound for almost 2 usd.

I'll probably buy another pair and the other red/blue one since its reported to have a very different signature, might as well recable it when the time comes.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #47,664 of 75,478
Does anyone know where i can get earbud wings (is that what they're called?) exactly like this, or similar? I guess Aliexpress but a link would be great.

YINYOO BK2.jpg
Ve Ex pack

Apr 27, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #47,665 of 75,478
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #47,666 of 75,478
@baskingshark @dh0licious @superuser1

I own both the **** bk2 and the 32ohm RY4S PLUS, they're both decent buds for the price though personally I'd go for the bk2.

The bk2 has better attack/detail, better timbre, and somewhat better treble extension. Bass is flat but has some texture, and the mids are up front followed by the treble. It's a clean, sterile presentation, even more so when you pull the mids down 1-3db.

The 32ohm RY4S+ has much stronger bass presence and a somewhat wider stage which makes it more immersive than the bk2, but without as good attack or timbre leading to lower overall definition. Typical 'fun' v-shaped tuning.

Should also note the cable that comes with the bk2 is quite decent, on par with the 10-15$ cables you can buy on AliExpress, so imo the price of the buds themselves are pretty close.

Also, trying to EQ up the bass in the bk2 led to distortion pretty quickly, so if you're a die-hard basshead probably better to give these a pass.

All these were driven off a Moto g6 via the headphone jack.

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #47,667 of 75,478
Also regarding the differences between the RY4S variants, I remember reading the +model as simply having stronger bass, and given the lackluster attack/timbre/treble extension of the 32ohm+ I doubt the 300ohm would be much better. Those are just my thoughts though, I've only heard the 32ohm+ version so take that as you will.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #47,668 of 75,478
Apr 27, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #47,669 of 75,478
Also regarding the differences between the RY4S variants, I remember reading the +model as simply having stronger bass, and given the lackluster attack/timbre/treble extension of the 32ohm+ I doubt the 300ohm would be much better. Those are just my thoughts though, I've only heard the 32ohm+ version so take that as you will.

K thanks for your feedback! Helpful stuff. Wide stage sounds good, I found the soundstage width to be average at best on the BK2.

I managed to negotiate a slight discount with one of the aliexpress sellers during the current sale to sell me a bundle of RY4S plus 32 ohm and a RY4S 300 ohm for $18 USD. Will drop my impressions/review once I get them, and maybe compare them with the BK2.

Apr 27, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #47,670 of 75,478
It is our honour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back