Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 22, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #47,596 of 75,149
Would I be setting myself up for disappointment if I were to drop $200 on a Turandot expecting as much detail, separation and timbre as my favourite $200 iem? My inability to notice any radical difference between my $10 yuki and $65 smabat makes me wonder if I'll appreciate the difference between a $65 bud and a $200 bud?? I desperately want to find a bud that im happy with :frowning2:
Do you have a good fit with the smabat? Maybe try to play with different foams.
I'd recommend you to get the nicehck b40 before turandot to check the fit. It is cheap but uses the same shell. Some people prefer mx500 shells (like yuki) and others yuin (like Shozy Stardust, Simphonio Dragon)
Turandot and b40 have some kind of bigger yuin shell.
I personally slightly prefer my Willsound MK300 over Magaosi K5 and Ikko OH10. I believe it has better tuning and higher technicalities.
That said, most people seems to prefer IEM sound.

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #47,597 of 75,149
EB71.jpg

Simphonio D3
ZEVAXY Z1000

EB72.jpg

Smabat ST-10S Black Gold
Smabat ST-10S

Nice!

How does the smabat st10s compare to the regular st10?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #47,598 of 75,149
Do you have a good fit with the smabat? Maybe try to play with different foams.
I'd recommend you to get the nicehck b40 before turandot to check the fit. It is cheap but uses the same shell. Some people prefer mx500 shells (like yuki) and others yuin (like Shozy Stardust, Simphonio Dragon)
Turandot and b40 have some kind of bigger yuin shell.
I personally slightly prefer my Willsound MK300 over Magaosi K5 and Ikko OH10. I believe it has better tuning and higher technicalities.
That said, most people seems to prefer IEM sound.

B40 uses a larger pk style shell/driver than the typical yuin pk shell.

I sold a b40 to someone that needed to replace a yuin pk1 housing that was damaged, and the driver/cover would not fit. The housing was too large.

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #47,599 of 75,149
B40 uses a larger pk style shell/driver than the typical yuin pk shell.

I sold a b40 to someone that needed to replace a yuin pk1 housing that was damaged, and the driver/cover would not fit. The housing was too large.
I think Turandot use the same shell than B40, with different material. Am I wrong?

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #47,602 of 75,149
Do you have a good fit with the smabat?

Not great, maybe its slightly too small. The yuki feels perfect though, is the yuin / tournadot shell that different? Are there any big name brand cheap earbuds that use yuin shells? I'd prefer to just try one from a local store than wait an extra month for ali to pull through.

Otherwise are there any Totl yuin shells (with: warm/smooth/dark to neutral, lush mids, precise separation, good soundstage) that would be a huge upgrade from smabat m1?

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #47,603 of 75,149
How does the smabat st10s compare to the regular st10?

Compared to ST-10, ST-10S is slightly less neutral in frequency distribution with a reduction in treble, giving a fainted sense of warmth and smooth. Soundstage has improved but mainly on layering / position - I see these more like trade-off rather than improvement, so basically they remain largely the same technically but tuned differently. So if you love the original ST-10, then perhaps ST-10S is not the direct upgrade you are looking for. But if you find ST-10 a bit too bright, then ST-10S might worth a try.

ST-10S Black Gold however is more like a fully opened up ST-10S, reminds me a lot of Sennheiser HD600. (*though I have not listened to HD600 for awhile, so takes it with a grain of salt). Between the two, I'll definitely recommend Black Gold first and I'll consider it as a proper upgrade of the original ST-10. It is harder to drive though, so you want to make sure you have a decent source first.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #47,604 of 75,149
Compared to ST-10, ST-10S is slightly less neutral in frequency distribution with a reduction in treble, giving a fainted sense of warmth and smooth. Soundstage has improved but mainly on layering / position - I see these more like trade-off rather than improvement, so basically they remain largely the same technically but tuned differently. So if you love the original ST-10, then perhaps ST-10S is not the direct upgrade you are looking for. But if you find ST-10 a bit too bright, then ST-10S might worth a try.

ST-10S Black Gold however is more like a fully opened up ST-10S, reminds me a lot of Sennheiser HD600. (*though I have not listened to HD600 for awhile, so takes it with a grain of salt). Between the two, I'll definitely recommend Black Gold first and I'll consider it as a proper upgrade of the original ST-10. It is harder to drive though, so you want to make sure you have a decent source first.

Thanks for the good info.

How is the subbass extension/quantity on the ST10S? I don't have the original ST10, but many folks here said the subbass was good for a bud.

Apr 22, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #47,605 of 75,149

How is the subbass extension/quantity on the ST10S? I don't have the original ST10, but many folks here said the subbass was good for a bud.

I've got the original Svara-L (115Ω) and (32Ω) (precursors of the Smabat ST-10), and the Smabat ST-10 (45Ω).
To me, they rank in "warmth" (most -> least) like this: Svara-L (115Ω), Smabat ST-10 (45Ω), Svara-L (32Ω).
However, for an MMCX earbud that's got even more Sub-Bass, it would be the NiceHCK EBX (32Ω) - but they're not quite as comfortable in my ears.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #47,606 of 75,149
I've got the original Svara-L (115Ω) and (32Ω) (precursors of the Smabat ST10, and the Smabat ST-10 (45Ω).
To me, they rank in "warmth" (most -> least) like this: Svara-L (115Ω), Smabat ST-10 (45Ω), Svara-L (32Ω).
However, for an MMCX earbud that's got even more Sub-Bass, it would be the NiceHCK EBX (32Ω) - but they're not quite as comfortable in my ears.

Thanks for the tips. Do u know if the Svara earbuds are still being sold? Or they ain't in production anymore.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #47,607 of 75,149

Bass remains as good, a little less impactful but better bodied.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #47,608 of 75,149
Not great, maybe its slightly too small. The yuki feels perfect though, is the yuin / tournadot shell that different? Are there any big name brand cheap earbuds that use yuin shells? I'd prefer to just try one from a local store than wait an extra month for ali to pull through.

Otherwise are there any Totl yuin shells (with: warm/smooth/dark to neutral, lush mids, precise separation, good soundstage) that would be a huge upgrade from smabat m1?

The yuin & turandot shell are smaller diameter, similar to the M1 (14.8mm driver). I don't know of any cheap brand name yuin/pk buds.

The yuki that you say fits better is the larger mx500 shell (15.4mm driver).

The newer Smabat ST-10S (150ohm) may be a good choice. Maybe a willsound or k's and there are many many more 15.4mm choices available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back