Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 15, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #46,831 of 75,270
All of those peaks and dips seem to be fairly simple to EQ in my experience. Most earbuds seem to be tuned with a mids focus. As long as they don't sound light and hollow, you should be good. M1 Pro and Bk2 are both 14.8 mm. The Tonekings are bigger.

ahh I see - I thought the next size down would be 14mm! but I suppose that little extra diameter makes a noticeable difference.

I really wish I could do some simple EQ'ing but I have to switch what device I use all the time - I have an iFi USB DAC/amp that I connect to different PC's on a very regular basis, and I use speakers that don't need EQ at home as well.
it gets a little tedious with turning it on/off all the time, unfortunately :frowning2:

thank you for the suggestion and the size info!

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #46,832 of 75,270
the Smabat also seems to suffer from a similar thing, and they seem to be just as large as the Tonekings with a ~15 (.4?) mm driver IIRC - so I'm not entirely sure about these either :frowning2:

Is it a diameter issue or a thickness issue that you are having with the tonekings?

Which Smabat? The M1 is a 14.8mm and O.D. & thickness is smaller than the tonekings afaik. The ST-10 is 15.4mm but it's fit is MUCH thinner in how it slots into the ear.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #46,833 of 75,270
ahh I see - I thought the next size down would be 14mm! but I suppose that little extra diameter makes a noticeable difference.

I really wish I could do some simple EQ'ing but I have to switch what device I use all the time - I have an iFi USB DAC/amp that I connect to different PC's on a very regular basis, and I use speakers that don't need EQ at home as well.
it gets a little tedious with turning it on/off all the time, unfortunately :frowning2:

thank you for the suggestion and the size info!
I've found only 1 headphone I felt didn't need some minor EQ work... Amongst several. 660s

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #46,834 of 75,270
Is it a diameter issue or a thickness issue that you are having with the tonekings?

Which Smabat? The M1 is a 14.8mm and O.D. & thickness is smaller than the tonekings afaik. The ST-10 is 15.4mm but it's fit is MUCH thinner in how it slots into the ear.

I believe it's diameter, I get a lot of pressure where the earbud touches my ears, and after about an hour I feel it's a little much and feels a bit sore, especially if I move my mouth. the Vido also do, but I never really use them long enough where it's a problem.
my idea was to use the TO600 for work and such during the day, so comfort is a big issue here.

did not experience this with some older earbuds that I had, but they were not hi-fi or even remotely good sounding... :)

and it was the M1 Pro, I believe, that was suggested. I really wish I could try these - but, I do fear that the sound won't be for me. some of the reviews here on HF suggest the midrange is a little thin and lower mids are more recessed than upper mids.

thank you very much for the info, I really have to be careful with what I select now :)

I've found only 1 headphone I felt didn't need some minor EQ work... Amongst several. 660s

yeah. I can definitely understand that... HD660s tonal balance is spot on for me.

I've tried a bunch of headphones but have sold off most of my collection after trying speakers at home for a while... :)
the LCD-2/3, LCD2 classic, to an extent Focal Clear & Utopia, and HD650/660s are some of the few that I enjoyed a lot without EQ.
and, a few of the STAX offerings.

anyway, got a little Off-Topic here :D

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #46,835 of 75,270
hi again everyone - I finally received my Toneking TO600 after a month or so waiting... and I have a few impressions and questions here:

while I am impressed with how they are performing, I think the sound signature might not be for me.

they have great imaging/staging for an earbud, and definitely sounds really detailed and clean, even extends really well. technically competent for sure...
"mid"-mids are good too, and the bass is really snappy and quick.
most of midrange is really clean, voices are extremely clear, and they don't sound tinny or nasal at all. and there is no annoying sibilance that I can detect.

but-
to be honest, I was expecting a bit more midrange warmth, I'm not sure if it's because of fit - but the midrange sounds quite thin to me, and there is a little bit of peakiness in 5-6k, that makes some music a little too sparkly/splashy for me.
it's not at all harsh or sibilant, just a little brighter than I was hoping for.

so I'm wondering... is there any earbud that might be smoother and even warmer sounding than this one, that also happens to have a detachable cable? sadly the cable part is really important for me, because there seems to be a lot of good options if you forego this :)
I don't have a budget set, but I'd prefer to keep it less than $300 - and these TO600 earbuds did really set a high bar for me now in technical performance.

cheers and thanks everyone for the TO600 impressions, I do find the ones I read about here to be very accurate - I just happen to be even more of a warm-sound-lover, it seems :D

Try the Toneking Unicorn, I think this has the sound signature you're looking for, I find it warm sounding with the stock cables or using pure copper cables

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #46,836 of 75,270
that sounds more like my "jam", from reviews and your description...

I did just notice another thing after using them for about 5 more hours to try and get used to them... they're a little bit big with my preferred foams... :frowning2:

out of curiousity, I wouldn't mind trying something smaller - but I have honestly no idea whatsoever if there even are any available with a warmer sound, and it seems most detachable cable ones are on the larger side of things.

perhaps I could try something without detachable cable, but I'd have to consider if I want to spend much money on that or not...

thank you for the reply!

Considering your requirement of a good-sounding, comfortable earbud with detachable cables, have you considered just getting one that has the most comfortable shell for your ears & with a sound signature that you prefer and then have them MMCX-modded? I have one guy locally who does MMCX mods quite frequently and according to him, it's not that difficult to do. On the EA FB group, there are lots of other modders who are able to do this as well. Just a thought.

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #46,837 of 75,270
Considering your requirement of a good-sounding, comfortable earbud with detachable cables, have you considered just getting one that has the most comfortable shell for your ears & with a sound signature that you prefer and then have them MMCX-modded? I have one guy locally who does MMCX mods quite frequently and according to him, it's not that difficult to do. On the EA FB group, there are lots of other modders who are able to do this as well. Just a thought.

I was just now reading up about how to get it done - definitely considering it!! :)

don't know anyone who would be willing to do it, yet... but I'll have to look around.

now, if I do this, I just have to find an earbud that fits my ears and has a good sound signature. the main challenge, I think :D

Thank you very much!

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #46,838 of 75,270
So I am wondering as of now January 2020 what is considered money is no object TOTL high end earbuds? And are they worth it compared to the sub $125 groupings?

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #46,839 of 75,270
I've been here for a while, yet somehow I failed to notice this dedicated earbuds thread.
I've been using the Monk Plus for a few years, and last year I got the Clear SPC edition. My original Monk Plus had volume differences in each earbud, left was softer than the right. But the new one sounds just great.

I also was using them only with the foams, but it wasn't till today I took off the foams and listened more carefully. The veil has been lifted so to speak, bass is tighter and highs are clearer. Still rolled off sub bass as to be expected from an earbud. I didn't think taking off the foams would make this big a difference, but it does. I will experiment later with the rubber rings.

I'm considering the Zen 2.0, but I worry they are significantly warmer than the Monk Plus according to reviews. Can anyone comment on this? I should hope they have just as good detail as the Monks or better, especially for $148.

I'm also looking for something more comfortable than the Monk and Zen shell style, even if it's a sidegrade in sound quality to the Monk.

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #46,840 of 75,270
I've been here for a while, yet somehow I failed to notice this dedicated earbuds thread.
I've been using the Monk Plus for a few years, and last year I got the Clear SPC edition. My original Monk Plus had volume differences in each earbud, left was softer than the right. But the new one sounds just great.

I also was using them only with the foams, but it wasn't till today I took off the foams and listened more carefully. The veil has been lifted so to speak, bass is tighter and highs are clearer. Still rolled off sub bass as to be expected from an earbud. I didn't think taking off the foams would make this big a difference, but it does. I will experiment later with the rubber rings.

I'm considering the Zen 2.0, but I worry they are significantly warmer than the Monk Plus according to reviews. Can anyone comment on this? I should hope they have just as good detail as the Monks or better, especially for $148.

I'm also looking for something more comfortable than the Monk and Zen shell style, even if it's a sidegrade in sound quality to the Monk.

I was in the same position a while back. I love the Zen 2.0 but I dont like the shell that it uses so much. When the Zen Lite and Zen LL came out I gave those a try and Love the Zen LL. Much more secure in the ear and not as warm as the Zen 2.0. I loved them so much I got the Zen LL DICE, basically an upgraded cable. Those have been my go to since I got them. The regular Zen LL isnt priced too high either. Maybe give those a try. Then post your thoughts here. I will be curious to see what you think.

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #46,841 of 75,270
I was in the same position a while back. I love the Zen 2.0 but I dont like the shell that it uses so much. When the Zen Lite and Zen LL came out I gave those a try and Love the Zen LL. Much more secure in the ear and not as warm as the Zen 2.0. I loved them so much I got the Zen LL DICE, basically an upgraded cable. Those have been my go to since I got them. The regular Zen LL isnt priced too high either. Maybe give those a try. Then post your thoughts here. I will be curious to see what you think.
Thanks for the suggestion, they look like they would be a much better fit in the ear. I'll definitely consider them. Do you notice any other sonic differences between the Zen 2.0 and LL besides the LL being not as warm?

Jan 16, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #46,842 of 75,270
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #46,844 of 75,270
Was looking at the monk plus. Hard to not buy something so hyped for $10 on Amazon. Is there anything a step up from this in the $25-50 range? I was mainly looking at iems at first but think these may be a better fit for me. I posted this in the iem thread but applies here:

Sound preference is clarity, detail, separation above all.
Prefer speed in the low end. Don't hate a small midbass kick (normie).
Don't really like OVERLY dark and/or warm as that CAN conflict with my main preferences.
Mids clean and not overly recessed, present. Dislike when the lower end of voices (male or female) sound thin.
Highs I like "glassy" (I use this word, I know nobody else does). I like cymbals to have detail and clarity. If anyone here plays the drums, I like to be able distinguish the tones of different types and sizes of cymbals (and snares) and their decay. I feel like not many speakers (or recordings for that matter) do this well.
Don't like a small soundstage. I feel it can go both ways with detail and separation. Too big and airy I feel can be non realistic outside of orchestral recordings and lose small detail. Too small gets congested in complex parts. Congestion bothers me greatly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back