Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 14, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #46,816 of 75,271
Hello folks! I've been an IEManiac for the past 6 months or so, but I need the low isolation provided by earbuds for the office. I received my KB Ear Knights a few days ago and I am pleasantly surprised with the sound, build quality and the price. However, I am afraid my ears are too big and while they do not fall out of my ears, they never have a tight fit. I have the black foam donuts that came with them on the earbuds, but I cannot, for the life of me see how to double them up. The bass is much better when they are physically pressed against the ear canal. Please advise if there is any workarounds I should look into, or another, thicker-shelled earbud I should consider.

You could try putting silicone rings around the earbud and add foams over it.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32990499815.html
ring.jpg

If that does not work for you, the only earbud in my collection which I find to be a bit larger than most is the NiceHCK ME80.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #46,817 of 75,271
you could go up to MX760 size shells or get a monster like the Toneking TY2. Alternatively wear them over ear

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #46,818 of 75,271
Hello folks! I've been an IEManiac for the past 6 months or so, but I need the low isolation provided by earbuds for the office. I received my KB Ear Knights a few days ago and I am pleasantly surprised with the sound, build quality and the price. However, I am afraid my ears are too big and while they do not fall out of my ears, they never have a tight fit. I have the black foam donuts that came with them on the earbuds, but I cannot, for the life of me see how to double them up. The bass is much better when they are physically pressed against the ear canal. Please advise if there is any workarounds I should look into, or another, thicker-shelled earbud I should consider.

Have you tried just using the 'regular' full foams instead of the donuts? Personally I find that full foams (dense ones, not the porous/very thin ones) gives me a better & fuss-free fit most of the time compared to donuts. Hope this helps.

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #46,820 of 75,271
Can someone point me in the right direction, as to where I can find some some of the thinner full foams, or where I can source a variety package? I only have relatively thick ones.

Jan 15, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #46,822 of 75,271
hai. i have ourart acg. dominant on high freq & mid freq. and the low freq is weak. and the cable i think is just average. because of that, i think the potential of this earbud not maximal perform. any reccomend for better cable to upgrade acg? i want to upgrade the low freq especially sub bass. but not really change the authentic tonal / Sound signature from this earbud, which is stay focus on high and mid freq. i hope the micro detil will upgrade too, and soundstage will better wider. thank you very much.

nb. the budget under 45$

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #46,823 of 75,271
hi again everyone - I finally received my Toneking TO600 after a month or so waiting... and I have a few impressions and questions here:

while I am impressed with how they are performing, I think the sound signature might not be for me.

they have great imaging/staging for an earbud, and definitely sounds really detailed and clean, even extends really well. technically competent for sure...
"mid"-mids are good too, and the bass is really snappy and quick.
most of midrange is really clean, voices are extremely clear, and they don't sound tinny or nasal at all. and there is no annoying sibilance that I can detect.

but-
to be honest, I was expecting a bit more midrange warmth, I'm not sure if it's because of fit - but the midrange sounds quite thin to me, and there is a little bit of peakiness in 5-6k, that makes some music a little too sparkly/splashy for me.
it's not at all harsh or sibilant, just a little brighter than I was hoping for.

so I'm wondering... is there any earbud that might be smoother and even warmer sounding than this one, that also happens to have a detachable cable? sadly the cable part is really important for me, because there seems to be a lot of good options if you forego this :)
I don't have a budget set, but I'd prefer to keep it less than $300 - and these TO600 earbuds did really set a high bar for me now in technical performance.

cheers and thanks everyone for the TO600 impressions, I do find the ones I read about here to be very accurate - I just happen to be even more of a warm-sound-lover, it seems :D

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #46,824 of 75,271
hi again everyone - I finally received my Toneking TO600 after a month or so waiting... and I have a few impressions and questions here:

while I am impressed with how they are performing, I think the sound signature might not be for me.

they have great imaging/staging for an earbud, and definitely sounds really detailed and clean, even extends really well. technically competent for sure...
"mid"-mids are good too, and the bass is really snappy and quick.
most of midrange is really clean, voices are extremely clear, and they don't sound tinny or nasal at all. and there is no annoying sibilance that I can detect.

but-
to be honest, I was expecting a bit more midrange warmth, I'm not sure if it's because of fit - but the midrange sounds quite thin to me, and there is a little bit of peakiness in 5-6k, that makes some music a little too sparkly/splashy for me.
it's not at all harsh or sibilant, just a little brighter than I was hoping for.

so I'm wondering... is there any earbud that might be smoother and even warmer sounding than this one, that also happens to have a detachable cable? sadly the cable part is really important for me, because there seems to be a lot of good options if you forego this :)
I don't have a budget set, but I'd prefer to keep it less than $300 - and these TO600 earbuds did really set a high bar for me now in technical performance.

cheers and thanks everyone for the TO600 impressions, I do find the ones I read about here to be very accurate - I just happen to be even more of a warm-sound-lover, it seems :D
You can try the TO180. Your description - reasons are the way I chose to order it. Haven't received it yet, but it's supposed to be the warmest of the bunch. Won't be as technically satisfying though. I think the higher ohm rating you go within the Toneking series, the dryer sound you will get. I could be wrong though.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #46,825 of 75,271
You can try the TO180. Your description - reasons are the way I chose to order it. Haven't received it yet, but it's supposed to be the warmest of the bunch. Won't be as technically satisfying though. I think the higher ohm rating you go within the Toneking series, the dryer sound you will get. I could be wrong though.

that sounds more like my "jam", from reviews and your description...

I did just notice another thing after using them for about 5 more hours to try and get used to them... they're a little bit big with my preferred foams... :frowning2:

out of curiousity, I wouldn't mind trying something smaller - but I have honestly no idea whatsoever if there even are any available with a warmer sound, and it seems most detachable cable ones are on the larger side of things.

perhaps I could try something without detachable cable, but I'd have to consider if I want to spend much money on that or not...

thank you for the reply!

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #46,826 of 75,271
that sounds more like my "jam", from reviews and your description...

I did just notice another thing after using them for about 5 more hours to try and get used to them... they're a little bit big with my preferred foams... :frowning2:

out of curiousity, I wouldn't mind trying something smaller - but I have honestly no idea whatsoever if there even are any available with a warmer sound, and it seems most detachable cable ones are on the larger side of things.

perhaps I could try something without detachable cable, but I'd have to consider if I want to spend much money on that or not...

thank you for the reply!
Have you tried the **** Bk2? Inexpensive, warm and pretty dynamic for an earbud. The Smabat M1 Pro isn't bad either - a little more neutral. Neither are my least favorite 3 D's. Dark - Distant - Dry. Removable cables on both. Another warmer tuned bud that often pops up is the Willsound mk2. I'm actually going to order that right now. Thanks for the reminder hahaha

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #46,827 of 75,271
Have you tried the **** Bk2? Inexpensive, warm and pretty dynamic for an earbud. The Smabat M1 Pro isn't bad either - a little more neutral. Neither are my least favorite 3 D's. Dark - Distant - Dry. Removable cables on both. Another warmer tuned bud that often pops up is the Willsound mk2. I'm actually going to order that right now. Thanks for the reminder hahaha

to be honest, I'm very much a noob when it comes to earbuds - I have tried a BLOX pair, and Shozy BK (which I really enjoyed, but had a little peakiness to them that I found annoying at times - although I dare say overall I prefer it more than the TO600). and now the Toneking TO600, as well as the NiceHCK Vido (the blue version with microphone).
also tried the VE Monk many years back - but I found the Vido much better overall.

I haven't tried that one, but it does seem like a lot of people really enjoy it at their price point.
however, I did read about them when trying to decide the first purchase, and read that the midrange can be a tad bright - upper midrange and lower treble mostly. I am very sensitive to those regions especially, so it's a bit of a nightmare finding something that I can enjoy for a longer period of time.

the Smabat also seems to suffer from a similar thing, and they seem to be just as large as the Tonekings with a ~15 (.4?) mm driver IIRC - so I'm not entirely sure about these either :frowning2:

Willsound MK2 from what I've gathered also has a bit aggressive upper-mids... at least in some of the reviews I've read.

sorry if I'm being really picky - it's definitely not easy when there are no earbuds to try out locally... :)

edit: I suppose I like one of the "D's" that you mentioned - the Dark one...
I like a little warm, a little darker.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #46,828 of 75,271
to be honest, I'm very much a noob when it comes to earbuds - I have tried a BLOX pair, and Shozy BK (which I really enjoyed, but had a little peakiness to them that I found annoying at times - although I dare say overall I prefer it more than the TO600). and now the Toneking TO600, as well as the NiceHCK Vido (the blue version with microphone).
also tried the VE Monk many years back - but I found the Vido much better overall.

I haven't tried that one, but it does seem like a lot of people really enjoy it at their price point.
however, I did read about them when trying to decide the first purchase, and read that the midrange can be a tad bright - upper midrange and lower treble mostly. I am very sensitive to those regions especially, so it's a bit of a nightmare finding something that I can enjoy for a longer period of time.

the Smabat also seems to suffer from a similar thing, and they seem to be just as large as the Tonekings with a ~15 (.4?) mm driver IIRC - so I'm not entirely sure about these either :frowning2:

Willsound MK2 from what I've gathered also has a bit aggressive upper-mids... at least in some of the reviews I've read.

sorry if I'm being really picky - it's definitely not easy when there are no earbuds to try out locally... :)

edit: I suppose I like one of the "D's" that you mentioned - the Dark one...
I like a little warm, a little darker.
All of those peaks and dips seem to be fairly simple to EQ in my experience. Most earbuds seem to be tuned with a mids focus. As long as they don't sound light and hollow, you should be good. M1 Pro and Bk2 are both 14.8 mm. The Tonekings are bigger.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #46,829 of 75,271
So I've been out of this game for 5-7 years now. I got pulled back in with the recent chi-fi iems like the Blon BL-03 and Tin T4. I'm enjoying how awesome and inexpensive some gear has become since I left this place. And as much as I enjoy these, I'm curious if anyone can give me ideas on the iems with the best imaging and sound stage.

I was/am a fan of the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 (gen1 since gen2 hadn't come out yet) and I'm curious if anyone knows of a set of iems that sound anything similar to those as far as imaging and sound stage.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #46,830 of 75,271
So I've been out of this game for 5-7 years now. I got pulled back in with the recent chi-fi iems like the Blon BL-03 and Tin T4. I'm enjoying how awesome and inexpensive some gear has become since I left this place. And as much as I enjoy these, I'm curious if anyone can give me ideas on the iems with the best imaging and sound stage.

I was/am a fan of the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 (gen1 since gen2 hadn't come out yet) and I'm curious if anyone knows of a set of iems that sound anything similar to those as far as imaging and sound stage.

Hi friend, this is a earbuds thread, not really for IEMs. I think u can ask your IEM query here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/ or https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

TBH most IEMs are weak in soundstage width compared to headphones and buds, simply as a matter of physics as the transducer is inside the ear canal, so it would be hard to find an IEM with comparable soundstage width coming directly from cans (especially open backed headphones). But IEMs are more for their isolation and portability, so different cons and pros between the different transducers (buds vs IEMs vs cans).

Anyways good luck in your search! I could recommend u some IEMs via PM but unfortunately i haven't tried the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 to compare it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back