Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 23, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #45,496 of 75,463
I miss my VE Zen 1.0, which I foolishly destroyed a while ago. Anyone know if there are any earbuds in today's market with the same or similar sound signature? I recall at one point the Seahf 320 v1 (smart) sounded the same or similar to it. It even looked like a rebranded Zen 1.0.

7960285.png

Destroyed in what way? Does it just need a new cable?

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #45,497 of 75,463
Destroyed in what way? Does it just need a new cable?

In the process of replacing the cable, I applied too much pressure when opening one of the buds which resulted in the membrane separating from the driver. Perhaps with the right skills and tools, one could repair it. To me, that single torn wire connecting the two components is too microscopic small for me to fix.

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #45,498 of 75,463
In the process of replacing the cable, I applied too much pressure when opening one of the buds which resulted in the membrane separating from the driver. Perhaps with the right skills and tools, one could repair it. To me, that single torn wire connecting the two components is too microscopic small for me to fix.

Yeah that is the risk when it comes to recabling. We have had a couple fall apart. In fact, one of my Monk + sets did ... and now houses different drivers. I was not going to get rid of the gorgeous purple shell! And, of course it has the new cable on it . It is just no longer a Monk. I hope you still have the Zen shell in case you want to use it someday to make a new bud.

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #45,499 of 75,463
My recent love and very extensive use of earbuds has really changed the way I listen to music, I have a hard time going back to iems with their "in the head" effect, especially with the late 50s/early 60s jazz albums I'm enjoying atm, where most of records (early stereo) have instruments assigned to different channels almost completely.

And I can't have a slow bass anymore, at all. Ordered the tin t2 (found a new offer at 30€ instead of the usual 35) to replace the yin*** v2 for work when I need isolation, can't cope with the slow, undefined vague and bloated bass anymore lol. The EBX has really spoiled me with speed, definition, texture, it's just gorgeous tbh. And surprisingly on techno tracks it's just right (plenty), and doesn't lack sub at all, I'm really reconsidering the amount of bass needed to sound right atm.

A bit like once I got my msp5 monitors, I couldn't listen to supermarket consumer stereo systems anymore, with their v-shaped, bleed into the mids, horribly slow bass.

Pretty much everyone says that the t2 lacks bass, but with how I evolved by now I think it'll be plenty tbh.

Happy to have found this thread and dipped my toes into earbuds as it's really refining my taste so far, now looking forward to more mmcx mid-range releases, I never regretted one second paying 160€ for kpes but still hesitating to buy say the totl OurArt, especially as there are no reviews.

Even 100€ for earbuds is quite akin to rolling a dice, we need to spread the love so there are more reviews and general interest.

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #45,501 of 75,463
I think Panda made from DQSM and I really love it. Then yesterday I ordered DQSM Turandot and hope I will love it too. Thank you ClieOS for every comments.

The Panda is my main sleeping bud due to the shell size and shape comfort. However, the cable ends up getting a bit twisted after a couple of years :)

In other news, I'm really tempted by the new Zen Dice LL and I could get the upgrade discount. Apparently the upgrade involves breaking your Zen or Zen lite. Yikes! I need to find it first. My buds that are not in regular use are spread throughout the house!

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #45,502 of 75,463
The Panda is my main sleeping bud due to the shell size and shape comfort. However, the cable ends up getting a bit twisted after a couple of years :)

In other news, I'm really tempted by the new Zen Dice LL and I could get the upgrade discount. Apparently the upgrade involves breaking your Zen or Zen lite. Yikes! I need to find it first. My buds that are not in regular use are spread throughout the house!

Yes you will need to break it. You can just cut the wires, thats what i did. Those keen on DIY can save the drivers in the shell. Mine r incoming, hopefully not too long now

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #45,503 of 75,463
Apparently the upgrade involves breaking your Zen or Zen lite. Yikes!

Could you really do that? What if you could sell it to someone else to enjoy for the amount that you would save by destroying it?

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #45,504 of 75,463
My recent love and very extensive use of earbuds has really changed the way I listen to music, I have a hard time going back to iems with their "in the head" effect, especially with the late 50s/early 60s jazz albums I'm enjoying atm, where most of records (early stereo) have instruments assigned to different channels almost completely.

And I can't have a slow bass anymore, at all. Ordered the tin t2 (found a new offer at 30€ instead of the usual 35) to replace the yin*** v2 for work when I need isolation, can't cope with the slow, undefined vague and bloated bass anymore lol. The EBX has really spoiled me with speed, definition, texture, it's just gorgeous tbh. And surprisingly on techno tracks it's just right (plenty), and doesn't lack sub at all, I'm really reconsidering the amount of bass needed to sound right atm.

A bit like once I got my msp5 monitors, I couldn't listen to supermarket consumer stereo systems anymore, with their v-shaped, bleed into the mids, horribly slow bass.

Pretty much everyone says that the t2 lacks bass, but with how I evolved by now I think it'll be plenty tbh.

Happy to have found this thread and dipped my toes into earbuds as it's really refining my taste so far, now looking forward to more mmcx mid-range releases, I never regretted one second paying 160€ for kpes but still hesitating to buy say the totl OurArt, especially as there are no reviews.

Even 100€ for earbuds is quite akin to rolling a dice, we need to spread the love so there are more reviews and general interest.
If you are really enjoying the EBX, you should give a try to pdv2. It shines with it!

Lof6omC.jpg

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #45,506 of 75,463
@cqtek

Any further impressions of QJ21? How does it compare to your other earbuds?

It's really very good, it can't compare to the rest of earbuds I have. Vocally it's exceptional. At the level of layers, textures and vocal placement, it's impressive. Only in the bass section I think it's worse, because I like a more marked bass area, but it's something similar to the rest of Ourart earbuds. I hope this section improves with burning.

This afternoon I have to pick up the Smabat M1 Pro, but I don't think it will reach its level, just like the previous ST-10.

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #45,507 of 75,463
It's really very good, it can't compare to the rest of earbuds I have. Vocally it's exceptional. At the level of layers, textures and vocal placement, it's impressive. Only in the bass section I think it's worse, because I like a more marked bass area, but it's something similar to the rest of Ourart earbuds. I hope this section improves with burning.

This afternoon I have to pick up the Smabat M1 Pro, but I don't think it will reach its level, just like the previous ST-10.

I am very interested in knowing your comparison of the Smabat M1 Pro with the BGVP DX5. They may be two different profiles but by price range they are two options that I am looking for the 11.11 offers.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #45,508 of 75,463
Yes you will need to break it. You can just cut the wires, thats what i did. Those keen on DIY can save the drivers in the shell. Mine r incoming, hopefully not too long now

Thanks, never thought of that.

Could you really do that? What if you could sell it to someone else to enjoy for the amount that you would save by destroying it?

I know what you mean, but no-one is going to give me £80 for the Zen Lite. That's the discount on the Dice LL. Mind you, I haven't looked for it yet, so there's that. I'll have a look this weekend.

Anyone bought the EA bud that's on Penon just now? I was thinking about that and the forthcoming 11.11 sale, but the hit on customs duties that my last couple of purchases incurred, is putting me off buying anything that's not dirt cheap in the first place.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #45,509 of 75,463
A bunch of care packages came in from Ali
Currently listening to the Moondrop Shiro-Yuki
Not bad kind of a really smooth sound profile things are there but nothing stands out over another sound signature
nothing like the BLON03 or Shouer Tape but something you could listen all day to and not even know you have earbuds on.
worth every penny as this was a penny stock type of pick for an earbud

next up later today will be the Meze 12 Classics which are walnut shelled and more costly

I kind of like these Shiro-Yukis in my ear they stay put and seem weightless

I have the new VE Zen LL with the new design and cabling coming one day. be interested in comparing the two but that's like a $90 earbud at rack rate.
The Sony 755 sound more V shaped to me compared to the Shiro-Yukis
Another nice inexpensive discovery I've made from people on this thread
thanks

Oct 24, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #45,510 of 75,463
Took one for the team and ordered the Fengru PT32 mmcx I linked earlier in the thread, not a big risk at 10€, I'll let you know how they sound.

Also toneking TO400s to pair with the Zishan Z3 I ordered, wanted a line out DAP and love the analog-like AK sound, don't want wifi bt and whatnot, as this one has 100 ohms output impedance it's best paired with high Z single DD.

I haven't been mind blown by the TO200, except when cranking the volume it really starts to shine, balanced cable incoming to feed it with more power, maybe I need an amp? We'll "see" how the TO400s sounds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back