Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 13, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #45,361 of 75,341
Oct 13, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #45,363 of 75,341

I wish everyone would label their photos. I have not memorized the look or names for every bud. Surely I am not the only one. Nice photo though... of whatever it is.

Oct 13, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #45,365 of 75,341
Tonight I took out the Smabat ST-10 again after not listening to them for about two weeks.

I've been busy and was pretty much only listening to my true wireless units because I didn't really have time to deal with a cable. I know it doesn't sound like much but when you only have 5-10 minutes the time to uncoil and coil counts.

I was blown away again like the first time. They have such a unique way of showing the soundstage. Every instrument seems to have a buffer of dark space between them that makes it infinitely easier to focus on each separate part. The sub=bass is boosted giving a healthy sub-woofer-esque boom feeling to low instruments. I want to say that they are like watching a concert from far away, on a balcony in a concert hall, but that is only if I think with my eyes. It is really more like being right up to the stage and hearing the guitar coming from a totally different direction than the bassist who is standing on the other side of the room.

The only other time I experienced this type of unique soundstage is with the ATH-CKR series earbuds, which were my introduction to high(er)-fi audi. I had the ATH-CRK70 and loved them to death until my wife took them when her mistreated MDR-X50BS bit the bullet. They had the exact same feeling of black space between all the different sounds. The difference is that instead of a sub-bass boom emphasis they had more of an upper-mids bias which made female j-pop singers shine like nothing else.

Sorry if it's just rambling, but I am so happy to have these in my collection, and it feels good to give them some ear time tonight!

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #45,367 of 75,341
Oct 13, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #45,368 of 75,341
I wish everyone would label their photos. I have not memorized the look or names for every bud. Surely I am not the only one. Nice photo though... of whatever it is.

Added a label. Sorry.

Oct 14, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #45,371 of 75,341
Yes, the Mixx Tribute. About the same size as the Qian39/Monk Lite but much better sounding than both. £4 in Asda over here, I got three of them. My current favourites.

We went back to our Asda yesterday, hoping that maybe they had stocked the other colors (purple, blue, white)... but no, just space grey, black and rose gold available still. @HungryPanda picked up an extra black one to experiment with recabling. I already had a black one.

Came home and the project was mostly successful. These MIXX TRIBUTEs are fragile. That bottom part of the stem breaks easily. So, one pair has a bit of tape holding it. This pair (mine) is intact...looks great with this white twist cable. I plan to be careful though when handling the stems. Usually I pull down firmly while holding the stem when fitting other earbuds. Because this one has such a small shell, I can fit it while still being gentle with it.

You can see there is plenty of room to put a twisted cable through. Inside it uses clips, not a knot.

R0015632.JPG

Oct 14, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #45,372 of 75,341
We went back to our Asda yesterday, hoping that maybe they had stocked the other colors (purple, blue, white)... but no, just space grey, black and rose gold available still.

Asda delivers only in the UK?

Oct 14, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #45,373 of 75,341
Asda delivers only in the UK?

I could not figure out how to even make it deliver to me. I thought I could order the other colors that I wanted but as soon as I put in my postcode the product just disappeared from my options. So I am limited to what my local store has in stock. My husband hopes to check a different store when he is in another town.

Asda delivery seems to be more for people doing their grocery shopping.

I don't even know why they are selling them for £4 when retail price is £12.

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #45,374 of 75,341
I now have a really nice looking cable on my inexpensive Philips SHE3800. There was a problem though and I cannot recommend that people recable this one. The drivers were destroyed in the process AND a couple of replacement drivers were also destroyed. @HungryPanda can explain it better but it has something to do with the shell cover making the drivers fall apart when you open it.

here are two working drivers in it now... and it sounds amazing. The drivers are from a batch of old reclaimed drivers that even the seller did not know what they were from originally. We call them the Mystery drivers. Does that make this the Philips Mystery? Luckily I do have another SHE3800 and I hope nothing happens to it. I do really like the sound from the stock drivers also.

I have no idea if we can find genuine SHE3800s still. Does anyone know? I had used a UK ebay seller a couple of years ago... paid £5 for each at the time. Same shell as an Edifier H180. For those who are unfamiliar with the 3800, it has nothing to do with the Philips company that you think of when you think of light bulbs but they do some other iems and buds.

R0015635.JPG

Oct 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #45,375 of 75,341
I went to Maidstone in Kent today and raided the Asda store, grabbed a bunch of Mixx Tributes. 2 x purple, 2x blue, 1 black and 1 white. Sound great to my ears.

20191014_175845[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back