Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 22, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #44,161 of 75,336
I prefer SR2 over the BK2. I really like the Toneking earbuds
Thanks! Chances are high that I'll order SR2 when the sale begins. With coupons and stuff it should be around 12usd :)

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #44,163 of 75,336
I've been lurking this thread for a while and saw the great reviews of the VE Monk's when they were released, so I've ordered a bunch of recommended budget earbuds from Ali Express, if it doesn't work out I'm only out of £30.

Still not convinced I will get on with the form factor but we shall see, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

RY4S MMCX
RY4S
Qian39
EDIFIER H180
NICEHCK Vido
Some foams and a cheapo MMCX cable for the RY4S.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #44,164 of 75,336
I've been lurking this thread for a while and saw the great reviews of the VE Monk's when they were released, so I've ordered a bunch of recommended budget earbuds from Ali Express, if it doesn't work out I'm only out of £30.

Still not convinced I will get on with the form factor but we shall see, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

RY4S MMCX
RY4S
Qian39
EDIFIER H180
NICEHCK Vido
Some foams and a cheapo MMCX cable for the RY4S.
I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the difference between the RY4S variants.

I got the standard ($3) pair and found them a little underwhelming. I'm skeptical that the MMCX/Plus version would be drastically different, but might bite on a pair if someone doing a side-by-side comparison feels strongly that they are.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #44,165 of 75,336
I'll be curious to hear your impressions of the difference between the RY4S variants.

I got the standard ($3) pair and found them a little underwhelming. I'm skeptical that the MMCX/Plus version would be drastically different, but might bite on a pair if someone doing a side-by-side comparison feels strongly that they are.
Did you buy the transparent RY4S? I've heard that it sounds worse than the standard solid color one. But I only have the UE version personally, and I can attest that it is pretty good. I'm waiting for a Fengru Silver though, as I prefer smoother, more laid back signature.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #44,166 of 75,336
Did you buy the transparent RY4S? I've heard that it sounds worse than the standard solid color one. But I only have the UE version personally, and I can attest that it is pretty good. I'm waiting for a Fengru Silver though, as I prefer smoother, more laid back signature.
Yeah, white cable but transparent shells... good to know. It's decent, but conspicuously lacking in bass (even just compared to most of the other popular buds I ordered from AE) and kind of thin sounding overall. If the UE or Plus versions have a truly noticeable boost in bass quantity that doesn't take quibbling to tell the difference, I'd probably be interested.

Aug 22, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #44,167 of 75,336
Yeah, white cable but transparent shells... good to know. It's decent, but conspicuously lacking in bass (even just compared to most of the other popular buds I ordered from AE) and kind of thin sounding overall. If the UE or Plus versions have a truly noticeable boost in bass quantity that doesn't take quibbling to tell the difference, I'd probably be interested.
RY4S is generally regarded as bassy and a friend of mine who orders regularly from RY store and is a fan of basic RY4S told me that the 3usd transparent one doesn't worth it. Anyway, my UE version is quite flat overall compared to my other buds with good extension both ways, deep clean tight nice quality bass (but modest in quantity) and bright mids/highs. I'm not a big fan of the brightness (works better for me with smooth or darker source) but it's very good at what it is. Mids/highs need slight toning down to sound natural in my opinion. The signature is a bit like my Takstar Pro 80 headphones, just a tad brighter, more balanced. When I get Fengru Silver I'll compare them of course.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #44,168 of 75,336

RY4S is generally regarded as bassy and a friend of mine who orders regularly from RY store and is a fan of basic RY4S told me that the 3usd transparent one doesn't worth it. Anyway, my UE version is quite flat overall compared to my other buds with good extension both ways, deep clean tight nice quality bass (but modest in quantity) and bright mids/highs. I'm not a big fan of the brightness (works better for me with smooth or darker source) but it's very good at what it is. Mids/highs need slight toning down to sound natural in my opinion. The signature is a bit like my Takstar Pro 80 headphones, just a tad brighter, more balanced. When I get Fengru Silver I'll compare them of course.

My clear with white cable ry4s were ok sounding, better when compared to the vido's and diy 16ohm single vent leagginal's I had.

The single vent ones just didn't sound all that good. Could be lack of dampening material on the vents. Or the drivers. Didn't try to make them sound good, so not 100% sure.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #44,169 of 75,336
I have all my earbuds in little cases with a label on each one, otherwise I would go mad
I do that too to protect my buds and iems, but I really need to get on labeling them. Right now, it's kinda a crapshoot every day, as to what I listen to...whatever I grab first, that's what I listen to. Only exception is my KPE...cause it's got it's own special case.
20190407_012141.jpg

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #44,170 of 75,336
Need some suggestions regarding earbuds with yuin shells under and between $10-$50.

Sound Signature preference:

1. Balanced sound.
2. Balanced sound with slightly boosted mid-bass (not bass-head territory at all), without compromising the mids and without any lower/upper treble peak.

Anyone?

Where are the earbuds aficionados?

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #44,171 of 75,336
I use my buds at home with various sources. My newly acquired Rose Masya very much reminds me of a good full sized open headphone.. Fit is very important though. Some people cannot wear them.

I actually can enjoy music for hours on end with most of the buds in my list... some costing less than $10.

Having said that, I do have to confess that I will forever miss the stereo system that I left behind in Michigan. Those old Advent Heritage floor standing speakers were a treasure. People still refurbish them.
I echo your sentiments about home hifi speakers. I miss my Totem Model 1's also. But I DON'T miss all the trouble (and expense) it used to take to set them up correctly and to have them sound good whenever I moved into a new place. Room acoustics and room treatments to accommodate them were a frustrating, cumbersome and expensive pain in the butt! I'm so much happier to have found headphones, iems, and earbuds; to satisfy my desire for good sound. The cost of swapping tips, earpads or cables is minuscule compared to buying new rugs, drapes, speaker stands, acoustic panels, etc, etc...just to maintain the SQ of my home audio system. For the amount of $ I spend just to modify the listening space in my dwellings over the years I owned one, I could now own a bunch of TOTL iems, earbuds, daps, hundreds of tips and cables. I'm happy with how far personal audio has come...and I personally don't care to own a home system anymore.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #44,172 of 75,336
Need some suggestions regarding earbuds with yuin shells under and between $10-$50.

Sound Signature preference:

1. Balanced sound.
2. Balanced sound with slightly boosted mid-bass (not bass-head territory at all), without compromising the mids and without any lower/upper treble peak.

Anyone?

Where are the earbuds aficionados?

if you mean PK shells then everybody recommends SR2 16ohms version here. You can find it in Chitty store on Aliexpress. I'll order one when the sale begins.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #44,173 of 75,336
if you mean PK shells then everybody recommends SR2 16ohms version here. You can find it in Chitty store on Aliexpress. I'll order one when the sale begins.
So that is the best one?
What is its sound signature?

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #44,174 of 75,336
I echo your sentiments about home hifi speakers. I miss my Totem Model 1's also. But I DON'T miss all the trouble (and expense) it used to take to set them up correctly and to have them sound good whenever I moved into a new place. Room acoustics and room treatments to accommodate them were a frustrating, cumbersome and expensive pain in the butt! I'm so much happier to have found headphones, iems, and earbuds; to satisfy my desire for good sound. The cost of swapping tips, earpads or cables is minuscule compared to buying new rugs, drapes, speaker stands, acoustic panels, etc, etc...just to maintain the SQ of my home audio system. For the amount of $ I spend just to modify the listening space in my dwellings over the years I owned one, I could now own a bunch of TOTL iems, earbuds, daps, hundreds of tips and cables. I'm happy with how far personal audio has come...and I personally don't care to own a home system anymore.

I had a second set of speakers in the kitchen so the house was filled with music. I did not change my rugs or get acoustic panels. I had a normal family living room that just happened to have a nice enough set up for me. It was all about discovering new music then... not nitpicking about gear or impulse buying too much stuff.

I had a separate 5.1 system in the tv room. We do have a nice 5.1 system in the living room here but we mainly use it for movies and tv shows. ... and youtube videos... lol. We often discover new music when we hear them on tv or in a movie.

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #44,175 of 75,336
Can anyone list the earbuds with Yuin shells with the balanced with slight lift in mid-bass and non-fatiguing treble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back