Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 16, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #41,416 of 75,376
@HungryPanda @ClieOS and other erbud Sisters and Brothers, please advise

You can get it from Amazon, which Hifiman is still selling them. They are Yuin official distributor internationally. Otherwise there are a few official retailer on Taobao as well, but they don't ship to most international location.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #41,417 of 75,376
Ok, so here are a few more impression. I'm not gonna go into too much detail as I'll leave that for my full written and video reviews.

This is also with reference to my HD58X as the entire idea for me was to try and find something similar to the 58X in a portable package. Of course, the 58X is not considered as a "reference class" type of signature, but I think it should be considered as an excellent signature when taking into account the price (even a double the price)

RY04 - fairly smooth signature, but sounds a little hollow (slightly recessed vocals). Lacks warmth and deeper bass notes. Sounds overall a bit mid-centric.

Edifier H180 - somewhat similar to RY04 in smoothness, but less of a hollow sound, more balanced overall...really good detail retrieval in cymbals.

RY4S - warmer than 58X, more bass especially a noticeable rumble in the sub-bass region, but bass overall is a bit too much for me (just a bit), lacks some finer details and some smoothness, but overall exceptionally impressive for the price.

Snow Lotus 1+ CE - also slight recess in the vocals, overall reasonably smooth

Snow Lotus 2.0 - quite punchy, but again has some recessed vocals (more than SL 1+ CE) that makes the sound overall seem more hollow which tilts more towards a bassy signature but lacks the sub-bass found on the RY4S.

GM500 - most expensive earbud in this group, but sounds the worst to me. Has the most recessed vocals, less treble extension than the SL 2.0

At first I thought I preferred the SL 2.0 over the 1+ CE, but after comparing them directly with the 58X the 1+ CE is closer. If I could get the smoothness of the 1+ CE with the bit more forward vocals and deeper bass extension (but not overall bass level) of the RY4S, I'd be very happy. But, for now, i think the RY4S is my favourite so far.

Looking forward to receiving my next bunch of buds.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #41,418 of 75,376
RY04 - fairly smooth signature, but sounds a little hollow (slightly recessed vocals). Lacks warmth and deeper bass notes. Sounds overall a bit mid-centric

People do not talk about the RY04 much. If I just relax with these my brain quickly adjusts to the signature and I find the sound addictive and mesmerizing with my music. Great soundstage and mids (vocals) are the most important to me much of the time. Plus they are comfortable for me. I don't hear them as hollow.

You are brave to take on so many at one time! I need to listen to each one for several hours to get a feel for it. That is why I cannot do the kind of comparison that you are doing. I usually end up like them all for different reasons.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #41,419 of 75,376
People do not talk about the RY04 much. If I just relax with these my brain quickly adjusts to the signature and I find the sound addictive and mesmerizing with my music. Great soundstage and mids (vocals) are the most important to me much of the time. Plus they are comfortable for me. I don't hear them as hollow.

You are brave to take on so many at one time! I need to listen to each one for several hours to get a feel for it. That is why I cannot do the kind of comparison that you are doing. I usually end up like them all for different reasons.

Oh I don't think any of these sound inherently bad, and I definitely can see people liking the RY04. But as you said, it takes some brain burn in. Listening to one set for a minute or so and then switching to the next allows me to pretty quickly see how one set compares to another.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #41,420 of 75,376
Listening to one set for a minute or so and then switching to the next allows me to pretty quickly see how one set compares to another.

If I try to do that, nothing sounds right. My impressions are generally about my long term listening experience.

This is why I have not said much about the Smabat yet. Love them but don't know what to say.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #41,422 of 75,376
If I try to do that, nothing sounds right. My impressions are generally about my long term listening experience.

This is why I have not said much about the Smabat yet. Love them but don't know what to say.
But I would really love to hear what you have to say about thE Smabat... :). How about the build quality? If not listening impressions yet?

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #41,423 of 75,376
You can get it from Amazon, which Hifiman is still selling them. They are Yuin official distributor internationally. Otherwise there are a few official retailer on Taobao as well, but they don't ship to most international location.

Thanks
If any other manufacturers use PK1 driver inside their product ? For example: Linsoul in BLD 150 version ?

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #41,424 of 75,376

The problem with long-term listening impressions are that they tend to be less reliable, especially for comparisons.

It's pretty cool that our brains have the ability to adapt to sounds, to essentially block out unwanted stuff...but that also makes it ridiculously unreliable because we don't have a constant and fixed reference point.
People who say "trust your ears" either haven't realised or choose to remain ignorant to just how easily influenced and unreliable our perceptions of the world can be.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #41,425 of 75,376
Looking forward any comparison between smabat / k's 500 600 samsara / puresounds. Especially in bass agility / punch, blackness and midrange.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #41,426 of 75,376
Yeah, my wife has been wanting a totl level bud, I love my samsara's and I also would love Iike to know what you guys think about the smabat vs samsara's and 500,600

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #41,427 of 75,376
Ok, so here are a few more impression. I'm not gonna go into too much detail as I'll leave that for my full written and video reviews.

This is also with reference to my HD58X as the entire idea for me was to try and find something similar to the 58X in a portable package. Of course, the 58X is not considered as a "reference class" type of signature, but I think it should be considered as an excellent signature when taking into account the price (even a double the price)

RY04 - fairly smooth signature, but sounds a little hollow (slightly recessed vocals). Lacks warmth and deeper bass notes. Sounds overall a bit mid-centric.

Edifier H180 - somewhat similar to RY04 in smoothness, but less of a hollow sound, more balanced overall...really good detail retrieval in cymbals.

RY4S - warmer than 58X, more bass especially a noticeable rumble in the sub-bass region, but bass overall is a bit too much for me (just a bit), lacks some finer details and some smoothness, but overall exceptionally impressive for the price.

Snow Lotus 1+ CE - also slight recess in the vocals, overall reasonably smooth

Snow Lotus 2.0 - quite punchy, but again has some recessed vocals (more than SL 1+ CE) that makes the sound overall seem more hollow which tilts more towards a bassy signature but lacks the sub-bass found on the RY4S.

GM500 - most expensive earbud in this group, but sounds the worst to me. Has the most recessed vocals, less treble extension than the SL 2.0

At first I thought I preferred the SL 2.0 over the 1+ CE, but after comparing them directly with the 58X the 1+ CE is closer. If I could get the smoothness of the 1+ CE with the bit more forward vocals and deeper bass extension (but not overall bass level) of the RY4S, I'd be very happy. But, for now, i think the RY4S is my favourite so far.

Looking forward to receiving my next bunch of buds.
Are you using RY4S normal version or UE version
If both, then is there much difference between the two

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #41,428 of 75,376
Are you using RY4S normal version or UE version
If both, then is there much difference between the two

I've got the UE...I was thinking of getting the other version as well to compare, but in the end only went for the UE

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #41,430 of 75,376
Can we also include VE ZEN ZOE, K's LHF, Seahf AWK-F650S, TY Hi-Z HP-650,
MusicMake TONEKING TO600 and ShozyBK/Stardust to this.
I don't know, the Zoe cost alot more, same as the lhf. I would think they will be better but it's a whole different price tier isn't it? The smabat, samsara,500 ,600 are all around $100-120 but the lhf and Zoe are pushing $200. It would be apples to oranges wouldn't it? Altho the ty hi-z , seahf and toneking would be in that tier

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back