Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 15, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #39,031 of 75,148
Anyone still have the Rose Mojito in their rotation? Anyone still finding the treble too piercing for long durations?

I think I found a suitable fix, one that requires no EQ.

FB_IMG_1547595091314.jpg

As you see the central vents allow the high frequency driver to expell sound. The outer vents produce the bass.

If you can buy filter paper its a great treble damper, but it also messes up bass by restricting airflow. However with the rose buds, you can dampen the treble and leave the bass untouched if you place the filter over only the central vents and leave the very outer row uncovered. You can use this in combination with foam and silicone ring (from the VE ex-pack) to potentially remove most treble peaks and balance out the sound.

Currently im using one ply of 'surgical mask' paper filter which was recommended for headphone modding. In combo with ksc75 foam liner, and a VE ex pack silicone ring. It's worked very well. It doesn't dull the sound clarity is retained but treble is under control now.

Sibilance is notably reduced, the treble is no longer brittle sounding (i think a peak in the very upper treble was causing this). Everything sounds damn good with it now. Bass hits moderately hard with the silicone ring alone, surprisingly. But it's clean and without mid bass bloat.

Dynamics are more impressive than ever, something the mojito always did well, now it does it without sounding artificially achieved through crazy FR.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #39,032 of 75,148
Does anybody know why there seems to be two versions of MusicMaker MrZ Tomahawk? There is one with the MusicMaker logo and then there is another with the Z in the middle.

One says Toneking the other Music Maker. These seem to be the same.

S_847671-MLB25652739329_062017-O.jpg

TONEKING-MrZ-Tomahawk-MusicMaker-Z-In-Ear-Earbuds-In-Ear-Earphone-Alloy-Tune-Earbuds-Armature-Earphone.jpg

What are the differences, if any?

Also, what about MrZ Ting, how does that compare to Tomahawk? Chinese sites (Aliexpress) seem to comparing Tomahawk to MX 985, does it sound like 985s?

It's the the same. It's the maker that changed name from MusicMaker to Toneking. It doesn't really sound like MX985. It's got good extension at both ends but some find them a bit too bright. I'd say they've got a slightly "metallic" sound and work best with hard rock or metal. I keep my pair because of the great synergy with those genres.

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #39,033 of 75,148
It's the the same. It's the maker that changed name from MusicMaker to Toneking. It doesn't really sound like MX985. It's got good extension at both ends but some find them a bit too bright. I'd say they've got a slightly "metallic" sound and work best with hard rock or metal. I keep my pair because of the great synergy with those genres.

Thanks for the clarification, Danneq. The two versions have different grill openings, do you know if they sound the same?

29KI9RA.jpg

HTB1.6vGKXXXXXaEaXXXq6xXFXXXe.jpg

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #39,035 of 75,148
Sean's comparison:

To400s. Linear sound. Analytical. Considerable bass roll off, lacks depth and punch. Treble dips slightly but has an emphasis around 10khz for air. Overall it's like a more technical shozy bk without the mid bass punch.

Bs1 O. Warm medium full bass but not too deep. Slightly bright tilting mids but has enough vocal body to carry a presence. Really musical. Nice smooth lower treble and slight emphasis in the mid treble for sparkle, slightly rolled off upper treble. One peak around the upper mids (maybe 3khz region) that throws off tonality a bit, but not determental unless you want neutrality.

Both retrieve lots of detail. But fall short on overall extension and sounding 'dynamic'. I imagine they would make good earbuds to try out in mx500 or other more ported housings, but that would be costly lol.

Wayne's equivalent comparison:

To400s. Good bass, mids and treble. Awesome.

Bs1 O. Good bass, mids and treble, but different. Awesome too.

Both awesome!

:wink:

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #39,036 of 75,148
Sean's comparison:

Wayne's equivalent comparison:

:wink:
I'm critical but only because I know earbuds can sound amazing when a bit of care is put into the tuning.

Also because we cannot have the same opinion ever, or the universe would implode! :wink:

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #39,037 of 75,148
I have quite a few earbuds but have been enjoying the Faaeal Snow Lotus 1.0+ all day

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #39,038 of 75,148
I'm critical but only because I know earbuds can sound amazing when a bit of care is put into the tuning.

Also because we cannot have the same opinion ever, or the universe would implode! :wink:

Lol! But fyi, my point wasn't that you were being critical. My point really was that you are able to discern and express what you are hearing much better than I could ever hope to do! :)

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #39,039 of 75,148
I have quite a few earbuds but have been enjoying the Faaeal Snow Lotus 1.0+ all day

Way to get someone impatient for their 1.0+'s to arrive!

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #39,041 of 75,148
Lol! But fyi, my point wasn't that you were being critical. My point really was that you are able to discern and express what you are hearing much better than I could ever hope to do! :)
I once looked back at my very first attempts at describing the sound and think 'thats not right, that's not what im hearing now lol' because i couldnt really accurately describe what i was hearing. But we learn and now its so much easier for me to describe what im hearing now than before. So I have more confidence in what im saying isn't total BS :D Even if it is :p

Side note: God this Mojito sounds good now and my ears are not bleeding from the treble peaks haha.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #39,042 of 75,148
Btw, why are the JVC branded ones cheaper than the Victor branded ones. Do they sound different? Thanks

I was told the Victor sounds better than jvc, that's why it's more expensive. I ordered both, and am waiting for delivery.

Yeah, by 'extras' I meant more than 1 unit each. In case of mishap when recabling and also to compare sound signatures.
As you know these buds are old dead stocks from factories.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #39,043 of 75,148
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #39,044 of 75,148
Hey - I just came across the 100' of small (0.66mm diameter) Copper Litz wire I ordered, back in August of last year
Does anyone remember whether I said which earbuds (or other project) I was planning to use that on? :thinking:

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #39,045 of 75,148
It takes quite a long time since I sent my specific DIY parts to PHARKAR consisting of 2 japanese soldering wire, CL copper splitter, 4.4 mm CL pure copper plug and Toxic discontinued Silver Plated Copper Litz (The Last workpiece before Mr.Frank died). Now My custom-spec PHARKAR 185 Ohm already finished. Look forward to listening it.

PHRAKAR 185 Copper 480p.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back