Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 20, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #35,311 of 75,319
Yea that one. It may sound different because of the tuning but as long as it was the same driver i didnt care as i plan to recable, reshell and tune it anyway.

It's really unremarkable atm but ill give it a chance.

I asked the seller about the 2 different drivers by themselves since there was a $2 price difference, and he/she said "different. second one is better" :shrug: For the moment, I'm not curious enough about what that $2 difference would be. :p

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #35,312 of 75,319
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #35,313 of 75,319
Guys, the PK’s from Chitty’s store....suck. But if you want them to sound a little fuller, put a cheap copper cable on them (like a spare Monk cable if you’ve got a Monk that’s died). That’s probably the third bud I ever bought, and there’s really not much on improving it. Not worth doing it up, not with that driver.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #35,314 of 75,319
Today in the mail, I received the Black RY4S earbuds, with UE Cable, that I ordered after seeing them mentioned here, and on "Earbuds Anonymous". So far, I've listened to them connected to my Radsone ES100 (BT aptX HD Receiver / Amp), playing music from my Roku net-streamer. They have a good amount of "fast" & detailed low Bass; a slightly forward Midrange, that's nice for vocals; and crisp, clear Treble. To me, they sound as good as earbuds that are 10 times more expensive. Superb sound, for $8.39. :ksc75smile:

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #35,316 of 75,319
Today in the mail, I received the Black RY4S earbuds, with UE Cable, that I ordered after seeing them mentioned here, and on "Earbuds Anonymous". So far, I've listened to them connected to my Radsone ES100 (BT aptX HD Receiver / Amp), playing music from my Roku net-streamer. They have a good amount of "fast" & detailed low Bass; a slightly forward Midrange, that's nice for vocals; and crisp, clear Treble. To me, they sound as good as earbuds that are 10 times more expensive. Superb sound, for $8.39. :ksc75smile:

Thanks for the bait(enabler) tsk tsk

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #35,317 of 75,319
Well, I'm not sure if ATH ES10 has got that ATH house sound. I was thinking of buying ATH A2000X a few years ago, I liked those. If I remember correctly they are a bit analytical but in no way sharp or sibilant.

I sold my Sennheiser HD25 II since they could not compete with my TOTL earbuds or ATH ES10. HD25 has got nice aggressive mids but not much more than that.

TOTL earbuds should be compared to full size headphones instead of portable ones, but portable is what I am familiar with. I've only tried different full size headphones in stores when I've been in Japan. I mainly listen to music while on the go so that's why I skip non portable headphones.

The best $150+ earbuds are good enough for critical listening. If you AB them with lower tier earbuds there is a definite difference in soundstage width and depth, instrument separation and layering etc. So it is mainly an improvement in sound that you pay for.

About the RW-777 I have not found any info on the size of the driver, but aren't they a bit smaller than Monk+ and other earbuds that use the old Sennheiser MX500-type housing?

Well, if the Shozy BK ever go on Massdrop for $100, I'll be the first to order them :wink:. I think those are my endgame, I'm just not ready to spend $160 on any headphones for a bit.

The RW-777 are smaller than the monks, and just a hair bigger than the MX760 Graphenes. The monks I can wear without jamming the top part under my inner ear, same with the MX760--without having any degradation of sound. The Yincrows however need to be absolutely plugging your ears, otherwise I lose the soundstage, imaging and note fullness substantially.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #35,319 of 75,319

You can't make a post like that without providing a link lol!

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #35,320 of 75,319

yup, the RY4S is quite good for the price

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #35,322 of 75,319
I asked the seller about the 2 different drivers by themselves since there was a $2 price difference, and he/she said "different. second one is better" :shrug: For the moment, I'm not curious enough about what that $2 difference would be. :p

I met with a senior executive of a TOTL earbud manufacturing company. We spent half an hour talking about their products.

At cost, $2 can buy a HQ driver for TOTL earbuds!

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #35,323 of 75,319
I met with a senior executive of a TOTL earbud manufacturing company. We spent half an hour talking about their products.

Although he didn’t say specifically the cost, it is what Wild Lee from VE intimated in his Facebook Live discussion awhile back. He was quite candid.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #35,324 of 75,319

I’ve no doubt this may be true! most of the cost is in r&d/tuning and cables.. Im just skeptical that the driver that they are selling for $2 more, likely from the same manufacturer, is going be much of an improvement. Has anyone bought both versions (sr2 & sr2 pro) to compare?

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #35,325 of 75,319
the most visible differentiators to price between the TOTLs to their inexpensive counterparts are the cables and jacks. tunings and other labor stuff would be subjective depending from the builders.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back