Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #35,296 of 75,149
I just got my eb2 too. Black version. 5 minutes into listening and I can say they sound great. More bass than I was expecting it has good punch and depth to it. Mids are clear and brightish, leaner but not weak sounding. Treble is just clean and clear not bright and sharp. It sounds right though! The staging is wide and separation is at a very good level for this price.

Overall I'm impressed and I think this is one of the best buds I've heard under $50 if you like an all round performer.

I'm using a pourous full foam on them. A type the has more air than hiegi fulls but adds slightly more weight to the low end than ali thin foams (but those work too).
Glad you like them!.....they seem generally well received - so I don't think I exaggerated too much in my review....

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #35,297 of 75,149
just ordered the "something something 69". 69, hehe

on a serious note, was a tossup between thesw and the something 150 pros but I couldn't find those on Ali and the price for the 69's was too good to pass up.

let's hope these deliver the sound quality I'm after

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #35,298 of 75,149
HTB1oQeMc6rguuRjy0Feq6xcbFXa9.jpg

DSC_4844-Edit.jpg

DSC_4806-Edit.jpg

Sony STH40D = under-the-ears earbuds with externalized drivers.

Looks almost entirely openback but I think it might sound more like a pair of poorly sealed IEMs.

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #35,299 of 75,149
6407FFB1-EDEF-49C8-9E80-FA56F7E967F1.jpeg

I got the PK2 SR2 in 16 and 150 ohm couple weeks ago for like $11/ea. The 16 ohm version had a decent amount of bass which is unusual for pk shell drivers but thought the sound quality was lacking with its really thin, rubbery cable. So I decided to recable it and see if there’s any improvement.

CE493F4D-AE1D-4051-8ED1-8879C1CEA640.jpeg

So instantly the sound was clearer, more detailed and transparent but unfortunately it kept some of the characteristics I didn't like from the original. Same dark sound with small soundstage and rolled off treble. I compared it to the EB2 and the soundstage on that was a vast difference. Not what I was looking for so I'll probably move these cables to another driver.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #35,301 of 75,149
Glad you like them!.....they seem generally well received - so I don't think I exaggerated too much in my review....
And now to name a few 'flaws' I noticed (to my ears anyway).

- low mids are weak which means vocals lack heft and authority at times. A quick check by using EQ to boost the area and the results were immediately noticeable.

- Bass is good, can be EQ'd for big improvements. It has extension in the sub bass but it's very subdued. I'll take any extension below 30hz though as an EQ boost can really make the bass more solid.

- Lack of emphasis in the upper treble. They extend well but are quite polite (or i guess neutral to some) in that area for my tastes.

- Damn tricky to choose foams for. They seem to enjoy regular donut or full foams best but i do prefer thin foams and im not getting much wow factor if I apply the thins on this bud.

Sorry had to keep it real with the hype on this bud. None of these flaws are sound breaking and all are basically EQ-able. Soundstage and imaging are very solid. Wide and well separated. :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #35,302 of 75,149

I got the PK2 SR2 in 16 and 150 ohm couple weeks ago for like $11/ea. The 16 ohm version had a decent amount of bass which is unusual for pk shell drivers but thought the sound quality was lacking with its really thin, rubbery cable. So I decided to recable it and see if there’s any improvement.

So instantly the sound was clearer, more detailed and transparent but unfortunately it kept some of the characteristics I didn't like from the original. Same dark sound with small soundstage and rolled off treble. I compared it to the EB2 and the soundstage on that was a vast difference. Not was I was looking for so I'll probably move these cables to another driver.
i got my pair today. Quite muffled sounding, timbre was pretty good but it was just scewed too dark for my liking.

Gonna burn em in, recable them and tune the shells to see if i can get them to a much higher level. If not oh well it was cheap enough.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #35,303 of 75,149
Datura X likes a bit of juice! Listening off of laptop -> ES100 -> C&C BH portable amp, and they really come alive.

Edit: these things also have quite the wide soundstage :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #35,305 of 75,149

So instantly the sound was clearer, more detailed and transparent but unfortunately it kept some of the characteristics I didn't like from the original. Same dark sound with small soundstage and rolled off treble. I compared it to the EB2 and the soundstage on that was a vast difference. Not was I was looking for so I'll probably move these cables to another driver.

Did the PK2 SR2 150 ohm sound any better than the 16ohm one to you?

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #35,306 of 75,149
i got my pair today. Quite muffled sounding, timbre was pretty good but it was just scewed too dark for my liking.

Gonna burn em in, recable them and tune the shells to see if i can get them to a much higher level. If not oh well it was cheap enough.

Exactly my thoughts when I first got the SR2, not much change after burning for me. Not sure if they’re worth salvaging, the pro version is suppose to be better but seller never gave any details as to why.

I did transplant the cables over to my old diy pk2 that I rarely use and it’s a sweet improvement! The bass is still light as usual per these smaller drivers but vocals and details are better (a step up from EB2 but with slightly smaller soundstage). Im finding out that I do like having specialized buds rather than all rounders depending on the mood.

Here’s the results:
F3D66F47-8253-4A3F-AB24-16D683AB8A1C.jpeg

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #35,308 of 75,149
Exactly my thoughts when I first got the SR2, not much change after burning for me. Not sure if they’re worth salvaging, the pro version is suppose to be better but seller never gave any details as to why.

I did transplant the cables over to my old diy pk2 that I rarely use and it’s a sweet improvement! The bass is still light as usual per these smaller drivers but vocals and details are better (a step up from EB2 but with slightly smaller soundstage). Im finding out that I do like having specialized buds rather than all rounders depending on the mood.

Here’s the results:
I specifically asked the seller if the pk sr pro (jogawags link) or pk sr TPE cable was the same and he said 'yes same driver'.

Now ill always be curious if it is indeed the same. Anyways, what cable is that? SPC?

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #35,309 of 75,149
I specifically asked the seller if the pk sr pro (jogawags link) or pk sr TPE cable was the same and he said 'yes same driver'.

Now ill always be curious if it is indeed the same. Anyways, what cable is that? SPC?

They should sound different as the price is a bit more. Sometimes I feel like sellers prefer not to answer completely because of the language barrier. You're talking about these?:

regular SR2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/diy...hms-32ohms-150ohms-TPE-wire/32801646835.html?
Pro version
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY...ms-150ohms-transparent-film/32801890526.html?

Yea, it's silver plated copper. The sound is noticeably improved but it's a little stiff so I'll probably get something else next time.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #35,310 of 75,149
They should sound different as the price is a bit more. Sometimes I feel like sellers prefer not to answer completely because of the language barrier. You're talking about these?:

regular SR2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/diy...hms-32ohms-150ohms-TPE-wire/32801646835.html?
Pro version
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY...ms-150ohms-transparent-film/32801890526.html?

Yea, it's silver plated copper. They sound very good and noticeably improves sound but it's a little stiff so I'll probably get something else next time.
Yea that one. It may sound different because of the tuning but as long as it was the same driver i didnt care as i plan to recable, reshell and tune it anyway.

It's really unremarkable atm but ill give it a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back