Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 23, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #24,046 of 75,875
One thing I'll disagree on is the treble being polite, there seems to be a certain peak up top that makes some treble beats quite noticeable, whereas the tomahawk whilst overall being brighter, is consistent with the top end and thus more manageable.

In my ears, there is only a gradual incline from 1 towards 5 kHz, but no peak above - unless you are referring exactly to the 5 kHz elevation (you could use a sine generator to see where the peaks are located when the earbuds are in your ears since due to individually different ear anatomy and fit with earbuds, the intensity and location of some treble peaks might of course vary).
Either way it's a great earbud, and I don't only think it is nice on the objective side, but I also really really like it subjectively (even though I don't like how it looks and the lack of a better side indicator). It just conveys a well-done tuning that lets you sink in. I agree though, large orchestral ensembles might require a bit more spatial expansion, depth and separation.

Oct 23, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #24,047 of 75,875
In my ears, there is only a gradual incline from 1 towards 5 kHz, but no peak above - unless you are referring exactly to the 5 kHz elevation (you could use a sine generator to see where the peaks are located when the earbuds are in your ears since due to individually different ear anatomy and fit with earbuds, the intensity and location of some treble peaks might of course vary).
Either way it's a great earbud, and I don't only think it is nice on the objective side, but I also really really like it subjectively (even though I don't like how it looks and the lack of a better side indicator). It just conveys a well-done tuning that lets you sink in. I agree though, large orchestral ensembles might require a bit more spatial expansion, depth and separation.
I was using the left in right ear and right in left ear for a week because somehow when testing it in windows 10 (because I saw no RL indicators) I mixed them up in my hands and applied red/blue tape on the wrong sides lol... it was only when I played a track which I knew had a certain beat in one ear did I realise it was the wrong way around lol.

As for the peak I didn't have equipment to check it so maybe it's less so a peak and more a lack of roll off and a sensitive frequency to my ears? Either way it isn't a terrible one, just I noticed it more than on my tomahawk.

Also the tomahawk has a more lush instrumental sound thus handling anything non vocal better than the BS1. If you could combine the best qualities of both you would have a pretty amazing mid-budget earbud.

Tomahawks performed better out of my PC as a source and were not too impressive on my iphone 6s. The BS1 seemed to perform at a resonably equal level out of both.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #24,049 of 75,875
This is strange, he responded to me last month, maybe you need to try again?

I have several times. I've always had trouble with contacting him during the whole exchange (weeks between replies)... Asked him for an alternate communication method as well, but he never gave one.

I'll try to see what I can do man. Will let you know.

Thanks. I just never received a confirmation on whether he even shipped the buds. No tracking number or anything.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #24,050 of 75,875
300 pages back in this thread, there was some discussion about the Celebrat Mantis C7 earbuds.
During the time they were available from AliExpress, I ordered a set.

They've been sitting in my case, unused for awhile - so I pulled them out this past weekend, and connected them to my iFi Micro iDSD, listening to music streamed from my Roku 4.

Their sound is a bit warm, with a slightly elevated upper-Bass / lower-Mid-Bass, which I thinks sounds good with acoustic music and vocals.
They don't have the Bass impact of the Svara L ($54 promo price), or the more forward Midrange of the Qian39 ($6.13) - but I do like their overall sound, for ~$13.

While they aren't on AliExpress any longer, they are available from Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/Celebrat-Earphones-Headphones-Ergonomic-Microphone/dp/B06XDMRSQ4/

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #24,051 of 75,875
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #24,054 of 75,875
So, I ended up putting my babies for sale today. EMX500 made my Meze 99s obsolete.
What is the exact model of EMX500? Is it Hungrui, or Fengru or something else? Can I get a link to buy them from?

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #24,056 of 75,875
You should buy from the shop that has the most EMX500 Orders. (However, it is forbidden to write the name or link of that shop.)
Could you pm me?

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #24,057 of 75,875
Well I picked up the Stardust and Cygnus at a fair price (€120 and €33 respectively). One for home use, one for on the go.

I'll provide some comparisions and whether I think Stardust is worth the extra $$$. Plus I'll compare both our of my PC (decently powerful source) and my iphone to test whether it's worth the upgrade to stardust for mobile users.

The shell alone makes me happy about this purchase, Yuin shell is unbelievably comfortable for anyone I feel. Plus if it's an upgrade on DIY PK2 (Cygnus... of course Stardust is lol) then I'll be extremely happy as I love my PK2.

Now I know I've overspent on earbuds lately but hear me out... I'm giving away 3 earbuds to family members who badly needed to discover what good sound is after being subjected to cheapo phone buds for too long lol. Makes more sense to give these cheap buds to family rather than sell them as the profit wouldn't be so great factoring in shipping and second hand. Plus it's nice to give gifts.

Penon BS1 (left) and DIY PK2 (right). One for a pop/acoustical and ocasional soul music lover (the BS1) and one for a avid rock music fan (DIY PK2)

IMG_0761.JPG

I'll be left with Masya for instrumental, Soundtrack/atmospheric music, Stardust for everything else and Cygnus for outside use. Still unsure where the DIY Graphene will fit in, but I'll definitely use it if I enjoy the sound.

Only thing I didn't consider is using the Cygnus outdoors, that green cable will definitely be a sight to behold... LOL. On second thought's maybe the DIY Graphene will be my outdoors earbud :)

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #24,058 of 75,875
Congratulations on the Shozy buds! I sold my Cygnus but will keep Stardust forever...

BTW, how do you manage to keep your collection so small? I struggle to stay under 20 pairs.

BTW I no longer own DIY PK2. I let my wife try (in this order) Yincrow RW-777, Moondrop Nameless, Graphene and DIY PK2. She didn't like Yincrow, Nameless was better, Graphene even better and DIY PK2 was the best to her. So now she's got them to replace her black darth Monk+.

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #24,059 of 75,875
Well I picked up the Stardust and Cygnus at a fair price (€120 and €33 respectively). One for home use, one for on the go.

I'll provide some comparisions and whether I think Stardust is worth the extra $$$. Plus I'll compare both our of my PC (decently powerful source) and my iphone to test whether it's worth the upgrade to stardust for mobile users.

The shell alone makes me happy about this purchase, Yuin shell is unbelievably comfortable for anyone I feel. Plus if it's an upgrade on DIY PK2 (Cygnus... of course Stardust is lol) then I'll be extremely happy as I love my PK2.

Now I know I've overspent on earbuds lately but hear me out... I'm giving away 3 earbuds to family members who badly needed to discover what good sound is after being subjected to cheapo phone buds for too long lol. Makes more sense to give these cheap buds to family rather than sell them as the profit wouldn't be so great factoring in shipping and second hand. Plus it's nice to give gifts.

Penon BS1 (left) and DIY PK2 (right). One for a pop/acoustical and ocasional soul music lover (the BS1) and one for a avid rock music fan (DIY PK2)

I'll be left with Masya for instrumental, Soundtrack/atmospheric music, Stardust for everything else and Cygnus for outside use. Still unsure where the DIY Graphene will fit in, but I'll definitely use it if I enjoy the sound.

Only thing I didn't consider is using the Cygnus outdoors, that green cable will definitely be a sight to behold... LOL. On second thought's maybe the DIY Graphene will be my outdoors earbud :)

Hey it is me, your brother loljk. Do enjoy your earbuds! Stardust is also on my wishlist :D I hope to get hold of one soon

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #24,060 of 75,875
Congratulations on the Shozy buds! I sold my Cygnus but will keep Stardust forever...

BTW, how do you manage to keep your collection so small? I struggle to stay under 20 pairs.

BTW I no longer own DIY PK2. I let my wife try (in this order) Yincrow RW-777, Moondrop Nameless, Graphene and DIY PK2. She didn't like Yincrow, Nameless was better, Graphene even better and DIY PK2 was the best to her. So now she's got them to replace her black darth Monk+.

I keep my collection small because I'm only in this game for 3-4 months lol. If you consider I've bought maybe 9-10 earbuds within that space of time. I've gone mental :DDD

Plus some of my cheaper buds (monk/vido) were test dummies for modding and stuff, so currently they aren't useable. Then I'm giving away my RX1, DIY PK2 and BS1. All of them are good but I'll especially miss my DIY PK2if Cygnus/stardust can't replicate it's sound, but I have a feeling cygnus will share similar traits as I've heard it's got that energy in it, whereas stardust is a little more refined.

Of course I had logic to my spending, I needed to find out what sound signature suited me. I will settle down now if Shozy Stardust becomes my perfect sound, which I think it has a good chance of doing. Rose Masya didn't really satisfy that task, for a vocal earbud it's surprisingly lacking in vocal body. But It's pretty epic for instrumental stuff as it can handle all sorts of complex music and has a good presence in all area's.

PK2 is a special earbud if you burn it in for over 100 hours and use the right source/foams and tame the treble with EQing. I'm handing it off with a ve monk thin foam and a ve monk thin foam cut into donut on top. Treble is abit much (only with full donut you can tame it fully) but the clarity is not sacrificed too much this way. You need EQ to fully tame treble but once you do you'll be happy that it's treble is so nice. It just suffers from slighty congested vocals sometimes and a bit lacking in sub bass. But it's forward intimate soundstage and the power it brings to your ears even from mobile sourse is awesome. Soundstage gets better with more powerful source. On my PC it sounds quiet brilliant. I only recommend this earbud for acoustic/rock music. It couldn't be any more suited to this genre which doesn't require massive amounts of sub bass and benefits from a more full/energetic sound. It's easily my most impressive earbud for what it's good at, guitar and drums

Listening to that on spotify through my PC and my DIY PK2 and every note just bounces... It's like the music isn't just playing but it's alive :) It's not got the sub bass when AB testing the same track on my Masya, it also doesn't have the same soundstage, but the guitar plucking is just as sublime, there's more warmth and emotion to each note (except the bass region though). Overall Masya is superior but the DIY PK2 is just as enjoyable for most tracks, and more so for rock and some acoustic.

EMX500 whilst technically superior in some aspects, can't touch the happy feeling I get listening to DIY PK2. EMX500 is so detailed that it's actually I little bit harsh because it's got detailing of almost €100 earbud but without the refinement. Not to say it's not good, it's damn good.. but not my cup of tea, vocals are not forward enough, there's extreme detail which translates to some nice extended sparkle but it's just not an exciting sparkle for me.

I'm hoping the Graphene will show me that DIY PK2 isn't the best budget(ish) earbud, because so far to me it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back