Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 23, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #23,207 of 75,457
The espresso doesn't significantly change the sound by any means, nor does SPC. A monk is a monk, no more no less.
Have you tried all 3 versions? Curious about why the other versions are fairly more expensive.

Can you tell me what is the benefit of the espresso and spc version then? Is it just a cable change? With slightly perceived sound benefits?

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #23,209 of 75,457
I own all three and it's all just cable change as well as a jack change on espresso. Any sound changes are relatively minimal.
Ok I see. I guess if you really love the VE Monk + sound you could go for a more expensive premium version. Although I feel like the main pull of the bud is it's price/performance ratio. I'll pass then.

Thanks for the insight!

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #23,210 of 75,457
Is this the best of the totl? Buy this and move on?

It would be terrific if there was one pair of buds to rule them all. The closest I've come are the Cypherus Audio CAX Black.
But the phrase "Buy this and move on", in my bud centered world rather means: these sound great, now what to order next?

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #23,211 of 75,457
Yeah honestly I think that $10-30 sweet spot that the EMX500 and graphene etc hit are the way to go if you're looking for good sounding buds on a budget. Anything lower can still be good but not really gonna blow you away when you compare them to the best of the sub $50 buds.

Vido/Monk/TY-32 are still options for travel/gym/outside use though maybe if your concious about damage or your buds getting stolen... which probably won't happen to these buds as they look cheap. lol

I’d be looking at graphene as mx500 qc is questionable

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #23,214 of 75,457
BTW , all this talk about cheap buds, I feel the FAAEAL 32 ohm are criminally neglected. They aren't the best at anything, but a close second at everything ( in their price range). They make fantastic all-rounders with a nice warm sound and good durability. I would take them over monk, ty 32, and even vido. And this is still my favourite cable ..very durable.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...MX500-fone-de-ouvido/1727211_32711687328.html

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #23,215 of 75,457
BTW , all this talk about cheap buds, I feel the FAAEAL 32 ohm are criminally neglected. They aren't the best at anything, but a close second at everything ( in their price range). They make fantastic all-rounders with a nice warm sound and good durability. I would take them over monk, ty 32, and even vido. And this is still my favourite cable ..very durable.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...MX500-fone-de-ouvido/1727211_32711687328.html
FOREAL?!! Pun intended :dt880smile:

Sep 24, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #23,216 of 75,457
I have got the issue with the fir of earbuds! When I press earbuds to my ears I hear subbass, full sound and all sounds more clearly. The picture is more full and sound is 10000% more preferable in comparison with regular fit. On the tracks where bass seems weak, if I press them to my ear, it appears as hard and amazing!!! I have accessories from Ve Expack and nothing from there is working for me. The best quality I got currently with donuts foams. Earhooks is amazing idea, but the area of earbuds where the sound come from, partially become closed and the sound-picture becomes cut, not full. It is so, because the circle of earbud is larger than ear canal, so when the earbuds are pressed by earhooks, somehow the sound has limited access to the ear. So weird, because when I press earbuds with donut foam - everything sounds as it must. I tried all different combinations possible (from Ve expack) donuts under earhooks, thin foams under earhooks, silicone rings outside of donuts and thin foams, as well as inside. Nothing works((
3) My question is how my problem can be solved? What are the possible twiks\tips which can help me to get identical seal with the one when I press earbuds?
HELP PLEASE!!!
P.s: Btw, I'm not trying to make the earbuds to sound or be like iems. No yuin ok1 format. I'm talking only about right tight fit. I'm dreaming something like Audeze isine20 or LCD i4 has. I own Sennheiser omx50 which is broken unfortunately - probably right driver died or the cable has problem with its connection there. I was able probable to make the picture of what I'm dreaming about to get with any type of earbud. But this arc is installed in the shell of omx50. Audio-Technica ATH-EC7 SV and B&O A8 Earset 3I have the same conceptual structure!!!
My ideal is:

This is the same for everybody. You cannot achieve the sound of earbuds pressed against your ears with any conventional foams, hooks or whatever...This is how earbuds sound.

if you want to have the same sound as if you are pressing them, use tape and tape them to you ears. I am not joking. You'll look dumb but no way around that.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #23,218 of 75,457
I have started the culling...in an effort to reduce my collection and to fund my other hobbies outside of audiophile, I am selling my Campfred 2. The decision was not an easy one, but one I must take. I have made a post in the For Sale section of the forums.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #23,219 of 75,457
Yeah honestly I think that $10-30 sweet spot that the EMX500 and graphene etc hit are the way to go if you're looking for good sounding buds on a budget. Anything lower can still be good but not really gonna blow you away when you compare them to the best of the sub $50 buds.

As of now, I would have to agree with you! They both are really quite great. From what ClieOS said, the Moondrop Nameless might very well be another contender (and costs a bit less than the graphenes):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-1536#post-13729851

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #23,220 of 75,457

I skipped the 32 and went for the 64 ohm. I'm still in the process of breaking them in, but so far I'm liking them a lot. I got them for $7.77 on Amazon with prime shipping. First impressions are great. The extra $2 is worth it over something like the Monk+ imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back