Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #23,191 of 75,148
Why TY Hi-Z 32 is so popular?
I have the same question
Mr.ClieOS commented that
"TY Hi-Z 32ohm is balanced tilting toward V-shaped sounding. Good dynamic. Mid is a little on the dry side, with slightly grainy upper vocal, otherwise a pretty solid all-arounder.".

So I think that the high popularity is because the performance is good and the price (about $4) is very cheap.
I also have this one already.:beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #23,192 of 75,148
Mr.ClieOS commented that
"TY Hi-Z 32ohm is balanced tilting toward V-shaped sounding. Good dynamic. Mid is a little on the dry side, with slightly grainy upper vocal, otherwise a pretty solid all-arounder.".

So I think that the high popularity is because the performance is good and the price (about $4) is very cheap.
I also have this one already.:beerchug:
I have the vido, should I skip TY Hi-Z32 ?

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #23,194 of 75,148
I have got the issue with the fir of earbuds! When I press earbuds to my ears I hear subbass, full sound and all sounds more clearly. The picture is more full and sound is 10000% more preferable in comparison with regular fit. On the tracks where bass seems weak, if I press them to my ear, it appears as hard and amazing!!! I have accessories from Ve Expack and nothing from there is working for me. The best quality I got currently with donuts foams. Earhooks is amazing idea, but the area of earbuds where the sound come from, partially become closed and the sound-picture becomes cut, not full. It is so, because the circle of earbud is larger than ear canal, so when the earbuds are pressed by earhooks, somehow the sound has limited access to the ear. So weird, because when I press earbuds with donut foam - everything sounds as it must. I tried all different combinations possible (from Ve expack) donuts under earhooks, thin foams under earhooks, silicone rings outside of donuts and thin foams, as well as inside. Nothing works((
3) My question is how my problem can be solved? What are the possible twiks\tips which can help me to get identical seal with the one when I press earbuds?
HELP PLEASE!!!
P.s: Btw, I'm not trying to make the earbuds to sound or be like iems. No yuin ok1 format. I'm talking only about right tight fit. I'm dreaming something like Audeze isine20 or LCD i4 has. I own Sennheiser omx50 which is broken unfortunately - probably right driver died or the cable has problem with its connection there. I was able probable to make the picture of what I'm dreaming about to get with any type of earbud. But this arc is installed in the shell of omx50. Audio-Technica ATH-EC7 SV and B&O A8 Earset 3I have the same conceptual structure!!!
My ideal is:
IMG_20170923_184030.jpg IMG_20170923_184041.jpg IMG_20170923_184048.jpg IMG_20170923_184147.jpg IMG_20170923_184154.jpg IMG_20170923_184159.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #23,195 of 75,148
I have got the issue with the fir of earbuds! When I press earbuds to my ears I hear subbass, full sound and all sounds more clearly. The picture is more full and sound is 10000% more preferable in comparison with regular fit. On the tracks where bass seems weak, if I press them to my ear, it appears as hard and amazing!!! I have accessories from Ve Expack and nothing from there is working for me. The best quality I got currently with donuts foams. Earhooks is amazing idea, but the area of earbuds where the sound come from, partially become closed and the sound-picture becomes cut, not full. It is so, because the circle of earbud is larger than ear canal, so when the earbuds are pressed by earhooks, somehow the sound has limited access to the ear. So weird, because when I press earbuds with donut foam - everything sounds as it must.
3) My question is how my problem can be solved? What are the possible twiks\tips which can help me to get identical seal with the one when I press earbuds?
HELP PLEASE!!!
P.s: Btw, I'm not trying to make the earbuds to sound or be like iems. No yuin ok1 format. I'm talking only about right tight fit. I'm dreaming something like Audeze isine20 or LCD i4 has. I own Sennheiser omx50 which is broken unfortunately - probably right driver died or the cable has problem with its connection there. I was able probable to make the picture of what I'm dreaming about to get with any type of earbud. But this arc is installed in the shell of omx50. Audio-Technica ATH-EC7 SV and B&O A8 Earset 3I have the same conceptual structure!!!

I have seen some people here use multiple foam layers to help with this- maybe multiple layers and a denser foam than the EXPack like the Heigi might help? Instead of earhooks you could possibly use a moldable material (like sugru maybe) to make a shape that positions it better for your ear? I seem to remember someone on reddit doing this with the Baldoor earbuds.

Sep 23, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #23,196 of 75,148
I have seen some people here use multiple foam layers to help with this- maybe multiple layers and a denser foam than the EXPack like the Heigi might help? Instead of earhooks you could possibly use a moldable material (like sugru maybe) to make a shape that positions it better for your ear? I seem to remember someone on reddit doing this with the Baldoor earbuds.
I tried all different combinations possible (from Ve expack) donuts under earhooks, thin foams under earhooks, silicone rings outside of donuts and thin foams, as well as inside. Nothing works((
I guess, I need something additional which will press it to the ear. Added some photos.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #23,197 of 75,148
I tried all different combinations possible (from Ve expack) donuts under earhooks, thin foams under earhooks, silicone rings outside of donuts and thin foams, as well as inside. Nothing works((
I guess, I need something additional which will press it to the ear. Added some photos.

I find sometimes a less powerful driver will sound acceptable and even very good if you apply pressure to seal off the gap completely. You are in some ways creating an IEM seal affect rather than the open airy nature of most earbuds which do not completely seal the sound.

The solution is usually you buy an earbud that has enough presence to generate a good sound with a moderate seal. Then it's just a matter of fine tuning your foams/earhooks for comfort and best possible sound but without the need to worry about pressing it tightly to the ear with is almost impossible with most earbuds.

Only thing I can suggest it to add a few thin layers of electrical tape around the earbud shell (a more customisable alternative to silicone ring) which helped me seal some of my earbuds better. You'd think a larger earbud diameter wouldn't work but it seems that sometimes it's less about the size of the earbud and more about how your ear grips the shell. MX500 shells grip really poorly for me, thus me not getting a good seal with them.

You can start with a thin layer of tape about 3-4mm think and wrap it twice around the earbud shell. Then take a larger piece about 5-6mm and wrap it around the first piece once however make sure the 5-6mm piece more towards the back of the shell and not going over the front grill of the earbud.

I've done this with my tomahawks earbud to great effect, this of course works for my ears but I'd imagine you could fine tune it to yours also hopefully.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #23,198 of 75,148
Here are some pictures to better explain what I mean.
IMG_0692.JPG IMG_0693.JPG

Obviously you put a foam over that for comfort and seal. This is only to create a better grip of the shell to your ear.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #23,199 of 75,148
I have the vido, should I skip TY Hi-Z32 ?
From my experience, the Vido has nice bass and great sound sig but sounds slightly distorted compared to Ty Hi-Z 32 — again, just my experience. It's just a great all round bud with decent bass. I recommend it. If the emx500 wasn't so fragile i would say skip both vido and ty and go straight for it.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #23,200 of 75,148
From my experience, the Vido has nice bass and great sound sig but sounds slightly distorted compared to Ty Hi-Z 32 — again, just my experience. It's just a great all round bud with decent bass. I recommend it. If the emx500 wasn't so fragile i would say skip both vido and ty and go straight for it.

I got the TY-32S and was not very impressed. Maybe I got a defect but my good the mids were so grainy and dull. The red cable was terrible too.

Maybe the normal version is much better.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #23,202 of 75,148
Nah, i wouldn't bother. No other versions will be significantly better I would imagine. Again, just my opinion and guess.

Maybe that bud was budget king before but I when I finally get my EMX500 and Vido for testing I'm fairly confident they will be much better. Particularly the EMX500 if it's not a bad one. Can't wait to hear this bud.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #23,204 of 75,148
I’d skip the TY then

Yeah honestly I think that $10-30 sweet spot that the EMX500 and graphene etc hit are the way to go if you're looking for good sounding buds on a budget. Anything lower can still be good but not really gonna blow you away when you compare them to the best of the sub $50 buds.

Vido/Monk/TY-32 are still options for travel/gym/outside use though maybe if your concious about damage or your buds getting stolen... which probably won't happen to these buds as they look cheap. lol

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #23,205 of 75,148
I would love to try the monk + espresso version though. Just out of curiosity to see how it compares to the normal version (which I have) and find good but lacking in bass.

Apparently the espresso cable version does have a better SQ and more bass presence slightly.

It's not 5$ though that's for sure. Which puts it up against EMX500 and Graphene in terms of cost and thus needs to be able to stand up to this level of earbud.

So I'll probably pass on it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back