Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 23, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #23,176 of 75,283
Some of you might have read too much into spec as well as being too much of a cable believer - how do anyone of us able to tell a honest, good quality 4N OCC from a falsely advertised "8N" OCC? I have never seen certification of any kind when it comes to purity claim made by any headphone maker. Given it is almost impossible for 99.999999% (=8N, put intended) of us to verify any of these cable claims, does it really that important for it to be 4N or 8N? Is it because there's a real difference, or is it that we just really want them to have some justifiable difference?

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #23,177 of 75,283
Does the sound quality of the earbuds change greatly depending on whether the copper material of the silver-plated copper cable is "4N OFC" or "8N OCC"?
I didn't think about it so much.:smile_phones:

For a 4N cable, there' s quite a huge difference in sound quality for "ofc" and LC-ofc, pcocc, single crystal occ etc.

Simply put, ordinary OFC 4n cable has a lot of impurities and gaps inside the conductors. Signal will be downgraded. The better the quality of the source the more revealing to the inadequacy. I attached a ofc vs occ for you to appreciate the difference. And than most of the better cable use single crystal, telfon insulation, litz construction to avoid sound degradation.

Basically, earbud is a combination of speakers, ear pad, housing, cables, soldering materials, soldering skills and connectors.

IMG_5185.PNG

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #23,178 of 75,283
Some of you might have read too much into spec as well as being too much of a cable believer - how do anyone of us able to tell a honest, good quality 4N OCC from a falsely advertised "8N" OCC? I have never seen certification of any kind when it comes to purity claim made by any headphone maker. Given it is almost impossible for 99.999999% (=8N, put intended) of us to verify any of these cable claims, does it really that important for it to be 4N or 8N? Is it because there's a real difference, or is it that we just really want them to have some justifiable difference?

From 1985 onwards, Sony makes very clear declaration of of class 1 LC-ofc for top model. You can search mar-e484, e464, e888, e868 for example.

For the lower model, 838, 828, 818, 808, Sony won't tell you how low the grade of the material are

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #23,180 of 75,283
For a 4N cable, there' s quite a huge difference in sound quality for "ofc" and LC-ofc, pcocc, single crystal occ etc.
Simply put, ordinary OFC 4n cable has a lot of impurities and gaps inside the conductors. Signal will be downgraded. The better the quality of the source the more revealing to the inadequacy. I attached a ofc vs occ for you to appreciate the difference. And than most of the better cable use single crystal, telfon insulation, litz construction to avoid sound degradation.
Basically, earbud is a combination of speakers, ear pad, housing, cables, soldering materials, soldering skills and connectors.
Thank you for the polite explanation.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #23,182 of 75,283
From 1985 onwards, Sony makes very clear declaration of of class 1 LC-ofc for top model. You can search mar-e484, e464, e888, e868 for example.

We are not talking about what Sony made 30 yrs ago, we are talking about what are available from the Chinese earbuds maker today on Taobao or Aliexpress, which make up the bulk of all the good earbuds in the current market. The matter of fact is that most of us have no readily available method to verify whatever purity claim any headphone maker and cable seller are making, so how do you know a particular 8N cable is better than 4N cable when you have no idea whether those claim is true or not? What if those 8N cable is really just 4N cable and the seller/maker is just making number up because he knows no one will bother to check it? My point is, I'll rather have a honest 4N cable over a questionable 8N cable, as long as it gets the job done - and that matter of fact is, regardless of whether MoonDrop liebesleid's cable is 4N or 8N, it is still one of the finest sounding earbuds in the current market, and that is much more real that some 30 yrs old out-of-products earbuds from a company that has long quit the earbuds market or a 8N cable that the buyer has no idea is real or not.

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #23,184 of 75,283
Any impressions on the Campfred 2? Whatever ive searched for makes it seem like a good purchase but ive been holding off since its such a small brand. Any other earbuds which are better for the price? I enjoy a warmer sig with mellow treble.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #23,185 of 75,283
Coincidentally I have both earbuds.
Imo, ty awk 314p sounds sweeter, edifier h185 sounds mid bass more powerfully.

Because of this thread, I now have this coming...AWK-314P. A reviewer said it is very comfortable. I have some difficulty with the ones that use a monk type housing. They just kind of sit there almost ready to fall out.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #23,186 of 75,283
Because of this thread, I now have this coming...AWK-314P. A reviewer said it is very comfortable. I have some difficulty with the ones that use a monk type housing. They just kind of sit there almost ready to fall out.

AWK-314P is not a monk (or mx500) type housing. It is called AKG K314P type housing which diameter is almost same. But the thickness of the housing is a little thin.
I think that if you search on "AWK-314P" as a keyword on Google and look at the image tab, you will understand the feeling of thinness.
If the size of the diameter is so big that it falls off your ear, I think edifier h185 will fit you more because it is smaller.
The edifier h185 is not so tight sound, and a little sweet sound. So you need not worry.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back